C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Blackheart Hooker Blackheart Axle-Back Consensus

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:55 PM
Taso1000
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hooker Blackheart Axle-Back Consensus

Hi All,

I am new to the site and have done a little research on changing the stock exhaust in my month old 2007 base coupe. I am looking for a system that is a bit louder but livable. I plan on driving the car on a daily basis spring, summer and fall in the Chicagoland area. I've had a loud everyday car in the past and I don't want that again.

I just want louder at throttle positions above 80 mph cruise. So I guess that's below 50% throttle opening? I do not want drone at highway speeds or loud at idle to attract the ire of law enforcement.

Through my research it sounded like the Corsa Sport was the logical choice. But then I found the Hooker Blackheart systems and this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-c6-2.html

The way they sounded was more towards the sound I was looking for but there were some misaligned brackets, a tuning fork type of resonance in some installations, and some said that build quality was cheaper than competitors.

I do like the price as it's at least half of the other systems. I am frugal but I don't like wasting money.

I don't want to modify the car for increased power at this point so there's no reason to take that into consideration.

The dual mode switchable exhausts are beyond my installation skills. From the tutorials I have seen I should be able to swap the axle back components myself with ramps. If that doesn't work my friend owns a service shop with lifts.

I have not seen much mentioned about the Blackheart systems. Maybe because they were introduced in the last 2 years?

Thank you all in advance for any help, thoughts or suggestions you can provide.

Taso

Last edited by Taso1000; 09-05-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo in subject
Old 08-20-2018, 10:01 PM
Taso1000
Advanced

Once I figure out how to correct the subject I will.

Sorry,

Taso
Old 08-21-2018, 06:45 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Took at look that video posted, and although he is running NPP mufflers, almost sounds like cut out isntead.
So lets back it up, and headers in themselves will make the system louder to begin with.

As for mufflers, the only ones that I know that will not cause drone is the Borla and Corsa systems.
With OEM NPP muflers and the gates open so the mufflers are louder, your going to have drone, but the NPP mufflers allow you close the gates to be much quieter when needed without drone instead.

As for the blackjack system, it has drone.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-exhaust.html
Old 08-21-2018, 07:48 AM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I've had Blackhearts for almost a year now and I love it, especially at the price point. I've never experienced drone at cruising speeds, on the interstate in 6th gear I can't hear the car at all. I also have a borla X pipe and stock manifold with gutted cats. When I get home tonight I'll mount a GoPro in the the cabin so you have an idea of what to expect should you decide to go that route.
The following users liked this post:
Creedence85 (08-28-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Taso1000
Advanced

Originally Posted by Shikaitsu
I've had Blackhearts for almost a year now and I love it, especially at the price point. I've never experienced drone at cruising speeds, on the interstate in 6th gear I can't hear the car at all. I also have a borla X pipe and stock manifold with gutted cats. When I get home tonight I'll mount a GoPro in the the cabin so you have an idea of what to expect should you decide to go that route.
Thank you Khali!

Taso
Old 08-22-2018, 08:09 AM
Shikaitsu
Racer

So, I took a video last night but my bluetooth radio synced and knocked my audio feed out. Didn't realize until I got home that there was no audio on the video, and then it started pouring. So I'll try again tonight. I didn't forget about you though haha just ran into complications.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:44 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont think youll be happy with it, they arent exactly quiet.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Taso1000
Advanced

So, I took a video last night but my bluetooth radio synced and knocked my audio feed out. Didn't realize until I got home that there was no audio on the video, and then it started pouring. So I'll try again tonight. I didn't forget about you though haha just ran into complications.
Don't you hate it when that happens? You try to answer a call on your phone and it's still connected to your handsfree device you were using earlier?

I appreciate your help!

Thank you,

Taso
Old 08-22-2018, 10:58 AM
Taso1000
Advanced

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Dont think youll be happy with it, they arent exactly quiet.
What would you recommend instead Sheepster?

Thank you,

Taso
Old 08-28-2018, 06:42 PM
Creedence85
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you happen to get another video? If you did, or still plan to, that would be greatly appreciated. I too am looking for a cat back, and am considering the Hooker Blackheart. I'm leaning in the direction that I'm going to be happy with it, however, there aren't many reviews or audio clips.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:51 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Creedence85
Did you happen to get another video? If you did, or still plan to, that would be greatly appreciated. I too am looking for a cat back, and am considering the Hooker Blackheart. I'm leaning in the direction that I'm going to be happy with it, however, there aren't many reviews or audio clips.
Here's my old setup Hooker Blackheart NPP, heads, cam, headers, CAI

Old 08-31-2018, 02:52 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

I had a hard time getting a sound clip without wind noise but I did manage this short video yesterday. It's got more of a muscle car note to it and less of an exotic note like most C6 exhaust systems.
Creedence85 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 02:57 PM
Creedence85
Advanced

That's great, thank you very much for posting that video, it does seem to highlight the deeper muscle car note of the exhaust, which I appreciate. I got a C6 (had it for about 2 months now) because I wanted a modern, dedicated chassis sports car, but I also like the N/A V8 sound.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Taso1000
Advanced

I had a hard time getting a sound clip without wind noise but I did manage this short video yesterday. It's got more of a muscle car note to it and less of an exotic note like most C6 exhaust systems. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9GEAKu4oiU
Thank you Khali! Yes, the Blackheart mufflers sound louder at idle and as you get moving. My stock mufflers are pretty silent till above cruising rpm. I'll have to watch for the exact rev point and add the information. Or it's my traction control killing the power and thus the sound.

Do you think the volume of the video is a fair interpretation of the loudness? The reason I ask is that some microphones cut sensitivity if the sounds are too loud and make them sound quieter.

Thank you!

Taso
Old 09-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

For anyone still considering the Blackheart I took the time out to put together a much better sound clip so you have an idea of what to expect. Car is also cammed but that only really affects the sound note at idle.
Edit: Fixed the Youtube Link

Last edited by Shikaitsu; 09-04-2018 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Fixed a broken url
Creedence85 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Taso1000
Advanced

Originally Posted by jaybee924
Here's my old setup Hooker Blackheart NPP, heads, cam, headers, CAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce2Um_w2b7k
jaybee924,

Thanks for the video but that is so unlike my setup! Too loud! ��

Was the that with the NPP valves open?

Thanks,

Taso

Last edited by Taso1000; 09-02-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:10 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Taso1000
jaybee924,

Thanks for the video but that is so unlike my setup! Too loud! 👴

Was the with the NPP valves open?

Thanks,

Taso
Yes they were open!!!
Old 09-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Creedence85
Advanced

Shikaitsu, thanks for the video, that's great!

I ordered the Blackheart last week so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by Creedence85; 09-04-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Turbokraft
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Blackhearts (3") on a 08 Z. Closed they are barely louder than stock, about the same as the stock Npp in open mode, no drone. Fitment and weld quality are not great but at the price point I am satisfied. Purchased from Summit racing. Also about 4-6 lbs heavier than stock factory NPP. Much better looking.

Last edited by Turbokraft; 09-05-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added content

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Blackheart Hooker Blackheart Axle-Back Consensus

Quick Reply: Hooker Blackheart Hooker Blackheart Axle-Back Consensus