C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle in the front end - end links?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Rattle in the front end - end links?

After having the harmonic balancer replaced, I hear a rattle in the front end of my car. My car is an 2006 automatic with 58k miles on it. The rattle seems like it corresponds to vertical tire movement in the front end. I don't hear it at idle or on smooth roads. However, if there are any road imperfections I can hear a clicking/rattling noise. It's not loud enough to hear unless I am driving next to a barrier. The balancer was replaced using the "lower the steering rack" approach. Is there anything that I need to check that may be loose as a result of the balancer being changed? Or is this most likely due to a worn suspension part like sway bar end links etc? Suggestions?
Old 08-29-2018, 02:16 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Black04Vert
After having the harmonic balancer replaced, I hear a rattle in the front end of my car. My car is an 2006 automatic with 58k miles on it. The rattle seems like it corresponds to vertical tire movement in the front end. I don't hear it at idle or on smooth roads. However, if there are any road imperfections I can hear a clicking/rattling noise. It's not loud enough to hear unless I am driving next to a barrier. The balancer was replaced using the "lower the steering rack" approach. Is there anything that I need to check that may be loose as a result of the balancer being changed? Or is this most likely due to a worn suspension part like sway bar end links etc? Suggestions?
If this just happened after HB install, check sway bar end links bolts and steering rack bolt to the frame.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 08-29-2018 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Black04Vert (08-29-2018)

Quick Reply: Rattle in the front end - end links?