C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Automatic Transmission Shifter Linkage Bushing Temp Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 04:16 PM
FLC6GS
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default C6 Automatic Transmission Shifter Linkage Bushing Temp Fix

Just a quick "It worked for me" on my '11 Grand Sport Automatic to try and help others who may encounter the all too common broken plastic shifter bushing(s) in the cable between the Console Shift Selector and the Transmission Selector Lever. This is what worked for a temporary fix on a Sunday, holiday weekend afternoon until I can get a whole new cable.

2005-2013 C6 Corvette Shift Control Cable OEM 20782446

Went to pull out of house driveway, plastic shifter linkage (bushing) broke apart sticking in reverse and popped off transmission selector lever allowing the console shifter to move freely then through the rest of the console gear orange indicator positions without actually changing gears anymore.
Console Shift handle would move between all sections w/o actually changing gears while transmission was stuck in reverse. It was a disintegrated plastic bushing in the cable to transmission lever connection. Here it comes.... why put a critical item in plastic a few inches from 2x 3" exhaust tubes
I was able to locate a temporary fix of Dorman Pedal and Shift Linkage Bushing Kit 14041 at the local auto parts store. It contains 5 bushing and the next to smallest was the one that fit on the transmission 'ball' of the transmission selector lever and then snapped into the shift cable.

Dorman 14041 Bushing for Shift Cable > Transmission Shift Lever Connection showing the one used

Packaging contents for reference

Packaging showing Largest>Smallest with pencil indicating bushing used.

For reference of the transmission lever position all the way down is Park. I put my console shifter in Park, then manually moved the transmission lever from reverse to park by pulling down on it.
Exhaust should be cold lest you have forearm tattoos you want removed. Neither connection of the busing is easy to 'snap' in, on the shift lever, or to the shift cable.

~ 1 hour setup to beerthirty
  1. Whether stuck in Park, or any other gear, chock both front wheels and fully engage Parking Brake
  2. Jack rear end, use at least Jack Stands so you can comfortably and safely work underneath. I jacked and used ramps under wheels to support rear end for more room.
  3. On the driver's side, rear it was possible for me comfortably reach the transmission selector lever and pull it down to Park between the exhaust tube and the transmission.
  4. Snapped flange side down on the ball of the transmission shift lever 1st. Used a pair of angled needle nose pliers to hold the busing and a large blade screwdriver to push it on using the surrounding metal structures for leverage. Blade of the screwdriver was wider than the opening of the bushing.
  5. Held the cable end on the bushing with right hand while using the same blade screwdriver and leverage method snap it on the bushing.

Jacking Locations

Yes, that's the wife's purple yoga mat... you can see the rain puddle in the street. I already caught hell for it, now I'll catch flack for it, but it was.... an emergency, at least to me it was, not her though.
I'd probably got away with it if hadn't made the comment... "why you mad, 'cause I spent more time on it today than since you've had it."
She wears yoga pants daily, mat still had $ tag on it, but it's my fault... I digress, I was wrong and I apologize, yes dear

Raise rear end, Shift Lever is on the drivers side of Transmission.

Transmission Lever all the way down for Park

Shift Cable end showing connection position on Shift Lever

I've been using it for a week while the cable is enroute and it has been very secure, but imo this is only until you can get a new cable with bushings.
The following 3 users liked this post by FLC6GS:
SPSandman (04-16-2019), vidocdevil (06-21-2019), Xctguy (04-22-2019)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:08 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Nice write up but why do you consider this a temporary fix? A new cable has those same plastic bushing that you just replaced. What you did is what most people do to avoid replacing the entire cable.

Last edited by EVRose; 09-04-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:30 PM
FLC6GS
Instructor

: EVRose and thanks! I see a lot of your helpful posts and do hope to be contributing/helping/learning member here when I can in any capacity.

I got it only 3 weeks ago, so for me just a piece of mind to R/R the whole cable myself for $75 and not worry about the cable integrity itself, or the bushing on the Console Shifter end since this one already went.

As stated at the beginning this is "...what worked for me and what I'm doing". If others want to consider it repaired, that is their individual call, I'm not in a position to state this $8 kit is the fix and you have nothing to worry about. Just trying to piece together a bunch of information from all over in one place with my POV
The following 3 users liked this post by FLC6GS:
CWIC (11-13-2018), Dcwhite67 (08-04-2020), firemanast (09-04-2018)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:04 AM
aramkhelawan
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up. Did you swap the one under the auto gearbox as well? I am working on doing that now and having a hard time getting it to fit the connection and reinstall the box. The space seems just so tight from above.
The following users liked this post:
FLC6GS (04-16-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM
sk7007
4th Gear

This sounds like what happened to my 2010 vette this morning.. I will share with my hubby.
Thanks for sharing!
FLC6GS (04-16-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 12:09 PM
sk7007
4th Gear

We took it into the dealer and this was the issue! Cost is around $500.

Last edited by sk7007; 04-15-2019 at 12:10 PM.
FLC6GS (04-16-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 06:33 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

When I was swapping in the NPP, I wish I would have done this while I was in there.
FLC6GS (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 PM
FLC6GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by aramkhelawan
Great write up. Did you swap the one under the auto gearbox as well? I am working on doing that now and having a hard time getting it to fit the connection and reinstall the box. The space seems just so tight from above.
Sorry for the delay, busy work week. Yes, I did both. The one underneath the rear that was broken on the transmission and then the next day I did the same one that attaches to the shifter. To me the shifter was not as tight as the rear one. Once I worked my down to removing center console to the four 10mm screws and lifting the whole shifter assy out it wasn't too bad. I only needed a long screwdriver to pop it of the shifter and then reattached it by hand, whereas I needed the long screwdriver on the rear to reattach them.

This isn't the best example, but it does clearly show it. There are many other videos showing the exact removal steps of the center console to get access to the shifter.

Hope you got it done aramkhelawan!!
The following 2 users liked this post by FLC6GS:
B-RAD2 (12-22-2019), mikeCsix (04-21-2023)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:34 PM
FLC6GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by sk7007
This sounds like what happened to my 2010 vette this morning.. I will share with my hubby.
Thanks for sharing!

We took it into the dealer and this was the issue! Cost is around $500.
My pleasure and thanks for the kind words. And they will replace the whole shifter cable assy (w/bushings) and not just the bushings. Still though, the OEM cable new is less than $50 with the bushings and the cable is usually not the problem.

Hope you get it resolved.... I know that feeling
Old 04-16-2019, 08:40 PM
FLC6GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimijam
When I was swapping in the NPP, I wish I would have done this while I was in there.
Oh yeah, that would've been the perfect time with those pipes out of the way.

Still worth doing at 'any time' as preventative maintenance before it becomes a breakdown issue

A plastic bushing about 3" from the factory NPP pipes..... arrrrrgggghhhhh
Rwallace139 (12-27-2023)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:48 AM
HEB
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Its hard to believe GM would not Change the shifter and cables on C6s after all the problems on 06 thru 2013 models I just got my 09 out of park last week,at least it was home!! Then I sold the vette!!!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:32 PM
aramkhelawan
6th Gear

Originally Posted by FLC6GS
Sorry for the delay, busy work week. Yes, I did both. The one underneath the rear that was broken on the transmission and then the next day I did the same one that attaches to the shifter. To me the shifter was not as tight as the rear one. Once I worked my down to removing center console to the four 10mm screws and lifting the whole shifter assy out it wasn't too bad. I only needed a long screwdriver to pop it of the shifter and then reattached it by hand, whereas I needed the long screwdriver on the rear to reattach them.

This isn't the best example, but it does clearly show it. There are many other videos showing the exact removal steps of the center console to get access to the shifter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G_Q...&index=24&t=0s

Thanks for your reply. I finally for it done with some help from my wife lol. Who knew her tiny hands would come in so useful. She thinks she is a master mechanic now lol
FLC6GS (04-19-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:23 PM
aramkhelawan
6th Gear

Default Got it done with some patience and my wife's tiny hands lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G_Q...&index=24&t=0s

I did get it done Tha ks to my wife's tiny hands and alot of patience. Spent the 500 we would have going to the dealership on a road trip weekend getaway. Win win
Old 08-13-2019, 02:21 PM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So ... looking at your photo - it does not look like there is an easy way to actually see the bushing - to see if it is failing ... if you get this far - it almost seems better to replace the old bushing ...

Old 08-14-2019, 08:31 AM
FLC6GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by gliderdriver
So ... looking at your photo - it does not look like there is an easy way to actually see the bushing - to see if it is failing ... if you get this far - it almost seems better to replace the old bushing ...
Correct and I agree. If you're going to get involved with either the shifter bushing, or the transmission bushing for the shifter cable you should just do whichever one your on at that point. For about $7 each, better to have it done and over.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:16 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

bump for me. need the picture.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:59 PM
FLC6GS
Instructor

Let me know if I can help

If it's an option, you can right click one time images and choose "Save As". I'd recommend choosing Desktop as the location to save to, since it's easier to locate afterwards

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Automatic Transmission Shifter Linkage Bushing Temp Fix

Old 09-17-2019, 08:13 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Let me know if I can help

If it's an option, you can right click one time images and choose "Save As". I'd recommend choosing Desktop as the location to save to, since it's easier to locate afterwards
Thanx for the offer. The picture did the trick got it all fixed up. Really a pretty easy fix. The hardest part was jacking up the car and taking the wheel off.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:06 AM
gliderdriver
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ls1121 - Was this a fix or PM ... what shape was the old bushing ... thx .

Last edited by gliderdriver; 09-18-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:53 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

it was a fix. There was no old bushing.

Quick Reply: C6 Automatic Transmission Shifter Linkage Bushing Temp Fix