C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clanking noise from rear end.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:19 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Clanking noise from rear end.

I have an 06 A6 and just started getting a clank noise from the rear end. I only hear the noise when I hit the brake and this let off the brake. Does not seem to do it starting off. I thought the exhaust was hitting the rear end housing but on the lift we found that was not the case. I have read where chaining the differential fluid and adding a limited slip axle additive. Has anyone had this problem when hitting the brake and letting off? If so did the changing of the fluid help with the problem?
Old 09-13-2018, 09:24 PM
2012widebody
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

At what speed does the sound happen? I come from the late model Gto crowd where a clunk in the trunk is part of it at parking lot speeds. Change diff fluid and all is well in a goat. But if you are saying this happens when you apply the brakes I would have to assume the differential is not the case. When was the last brake job? How many miles are on the car? Sounds like you may have a lazy brake caliper. Have you been performing foot brake burnouts?

Last edited by 2012widebody; 09-13-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2012widebody
At what speed does the sound happen? I come from the late model Gto crowd where a clunk in the trunk is part of it at parking lot speeds. Change diff fluid and all is well in a goat. But if you are saying this happens when you apply the brakes I would have to assume the differential is not the case. When was the last brake job? How many miles are on the car? Sounds like you may have a lazy brake caliper. Have you been performing foot brake burnouts?
Does not make the noise on acceleration or when changing gears. Only right after the car comes to a complete stop. Sounds like the pipes hit something but we have checked that is not a problem. If you rock the car back and forth you can get some of the noise but sounds like coming fro the center of the car at the rear. No burns out and brakes have been on for a year or 2. Wondering if maybe something is loose like transmission mounts or sub frame. I think like you tat if it was the rear end or transmission I would get noise on fast take offs or gears changing. Only when I come to a complete stop and then just a clank.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 PM
RPOWU8
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost Vette
Does not make the noise on acceleration or when changing gears. Only right after the car comes to a complete stop. Sounds like the pipes hit something but we have checked that is not a problem. If you rock the car back and forth you can get some of the noise but sounds like coming fro the center of the car at the rear. No burns out and brakes have been on for a year or 2. Wondering if maybe something is loose like transmission mounts or sub frame. I think like you tat if it was the rear end or transmission I would get noise on fast take offs or gears changing. Only when I come to a complete stop and then just a clank.
Re-Torque axle nuts to spec.

DJ
Old 09-13-2018, 10:28 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RPOWU8
Re-Torque axle nuts to spec.

DJ
Thanks DJ. I did torque the correct spec but didn't help. I did experience a popping noise a year or so ago and it was the axle nut. This is more of a noise as if something hits something like the exhaust hits the axle at the end of stopping.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ghost Vette
Thanks DJ. I did torque the correct spec but didn't help. I did experience a popping noise a year or so ago and it was the axle nut. This is more of a noise as if something hits something like the exhaust hits the axle at the end of stopping.
UPDATE: Problem solved. After hours of checking everything under the rear I somehow found the clanking noise. I know this is going to sound crazy but my LED tail light had the resistor come loose from where is was mounted and was hanging down. Every time I would stop it would clank against the frame behind the trunk. I never thought the sound was coming from there. Sure sounded like the exhaust pipes bumping. Thanks everyone for lending the assistance and thoughts about where to look..

Get notified of new replies

To Clanking noise from rear end.

Quick Reply: Clanking noise from rear end.