C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony xav-ax200 head unit installation c6

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 01:24 AM
pianoblake
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sony xav-ax200 head unit installation c6

Hello all,

So, I've just installed a Sony XAV-AX200SXM head unit in my base 2006 convertible corvette, along with a back-up camera. The install was completed on the 21st of this month with no issues at all. I've driven the car everyday since then. However, on the 23rd I noticed that the unit would sporadically turn itself off then back on. After restarting the car that same day, no issues. On the next day, no issues at all. Then on the 25th, I noticed the issue briefly at the end of the night, though it was fine during the day. It's pretty random. I took out the head unit on the 25th to check for any loose connection/exposed wire and I couldn't see anything. Any ideas?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:42 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in the middle of researching this head unit for myself right now. I particularly like the matte finish to better match the stock console, the volume ****, and Apple/Android compatibility. Two questions:

1) How do you like it (when it's working)?
2) Did you need any special install tools or adapters? Crutchfield seems to say this is not compatible with the Corvette because it's too deep.

As for your issue, sounds like a bad unit? You might want to look into forums speaking to the unit itself. I'm not sure this is necessarily a Corvette-specific issue.

Last edited by vara411; 10-04-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:54 AM
pianoblake
6th Gear

Originally Posted by vara411
I'm in the middle of researching this head unit for myself right now. I particularly like the matte finish to better match the stock console, the volume ****, and Apple/Android compatibility. Two questions:

1) How do you like it (when it's working)?
2) Did you need any special install tools or adapters? Crutchfield seems to say this is not compatible with the Corvette because it's too deep.

As for your issue, sounds like a bad unit? You might want to look into forums speaking to the unit itself. I'm not sure this is necessarily a Corvette-specific issue.

It works great, when it's not power-cycling - loaded with features. The unit did not require any special tools or adapters and fits just fine.

The only requirements for install are as follows:
  • dash kit (to mount the radio)
  • interface kit (so my OnStar would still work)
  • torx bit set
  • drill or ratchet with standard sockets
  • wire strippers
  • wire butt-splices

UPDATE ON THE ISSUE:
After replacing the HU twice, I've found that the HU is not the issue, as the problem persists. I'm thinking, after talking with Crutchfield as well as PAC Audio, that my PAC Audio OS-2X interface may be the issue. I've ordered another interface, so I'll give an update when I found out how the interface swap works out. Side-note, on Crutchfield's reviews of the radio I noticed that a 1992 and 2013 Corvette owner both have this HU and it works fine for them, so it definitely works for 'Vettes.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:53 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^ Wow glad to hear it's not the head unit. Pretty impressed you installed two of 'em before pinpointing the issue. I put my order in with Crutchfield and hope to install it this weekend. Very excited. I'll post some updates! Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-13-2018, 08:40 PM
VitmnC
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I've actually been thinking of buying one of these units myself so this thread is very helpful for potential buyers such as myself. Would you happen to have a picture of it? And does backlit **** and buttons match the rest of the center console at night? Thank you!
Old 11-01-2018, 05:55 PM
pianoblake
6th Gear

Originally Posted by VitmnC
I've actually been thinking of buying one of these units myself so this thread is very helpful for potential buyers such as myself. Would you happen to have a picture of it? And does backlit **** and buttons match the rest of the center console at night? Thank you!

The Sony XAV-AX200SXM has a new firmware update which allows for the button lights to be customized all in unison using sliders of Green, Red, and Blue through the unit's settings, allowing you to create blends of the three.

UPDATE ON THE ISSUE:

After three head units and two PAC OS-2X interfaces, I came to the conclusion that the interface was the issue. I spoke with PAC audio and they had me do a hot and ground wire bypass, bypassing the power from the car around the interface to go straight to the HU. Unfortunately the problem persisted. PAC came to the conclusion that the interface couldn't handle the HU power draw (even though there was no warning before-hand of the interface being compatible with specific units). As a result, PAC sent me a free interface of a different model: GM1A-RT. So far so good. I'll post if anything goes sour!

Last edited by pianoblake; 11-01-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:45 PM
jbripps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi - this looks like a perfect unit, especially since you can use Waze. Crutchfield definitely indicates it will NOT fit an '06. What kit did you need? I would love to see how it looks in your dash, can you please post a photo?

Best,
Jon
Old 11-01-2018, 11:42 PM
VitmnC
Advanced

Originally Posted by pianoblake
The Sony XAV-AX200SXM has a new firmware update which allows for the button lights to be customized all in unison using sliders of Green, Red, and Blue through the unit's settings, allowing you to create blends of the three.

UPDATE ON THE ISSUE:

After three head units and two PAC OS-2X interfaces, I came to the conclusion that the interface was the issue. I spoke with PAC audio and they had me do a hot and ground wire bypass, bypassing the power from the car around the interface to go straight to the HU. Unfortunately the problem persisted. PAC came to the conclusion that the interface couldn't handle the HU power draw (even though there was no warning before-hand of the interface being compatible with specific units). As a result, PAC sent me a free interface of a different model: GM1A-RT. So far so good. I'll post if anything goes sour!

I'm glad to hear it's working now! I was actually told to use the PAC RP5-GM11 interface cable. I'm curious why PAC would give you the other model instead.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:04 PM
pianoblake
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jbripps
Hi - this looks like a perfect unit, especially since you can use Waze. Crutchfield definitely indicates it will NOT fit an '06. What kit did you need? I would love to see how it looks in your dash, can you please post a photo?

Best,
Jon
Old 11-02-2018, 02:13 PM
jbripps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

wow, that looks fantastic! Thank you for posting! Does the satellite radio antenna go on the outside of the car? Is the camera very visible in the back. That unit has 3 inputs for cameras....thinking about getting one up on the nose, my garage is tight...would be great.
Jon
Old 11-02-2018, 06:30 PM
pianoblake
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jbripps
wow, that looks fantastic! Thank you for posting! Does the satellite radio antenna go on the outside of the car? Is the camera very visible in the back. That unit has 3 inputs for cameras....thinking about getting one up on the nose, my garage is tight...would be great.
Jon
I bought a license plate camera which fastens to the top two screws of the license plate to the bumper. It looks like a black strip about 1 inch or so thick with the camera in the center. So, it’s noticeable, but doesn’t really look too bad imo. I didn’t install the satellite antenna, as I’ll just use my phone for that kind of music variety, rather than XM radio. Though, I have seen where people have mounted the antenna box near the top of the glass up in the eyebrow so it’s not too noticeable.
The following users liked this post:
jbripps (11-02-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 09:45 PM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

This new batch of PAC audio interfaces unlike their older counter parts are total JUNK, during my stereo upgrade i went through 2 of them 1 used out of my 08 the other brand new that wouldn't work in my 2012 c6 so a audio shop owner shared with me his recent experiences in which he had to return 3 in 1 week because of their failure to perform correctly. He highly recommended the Metra line " which I purchased + I've experienced 0 problem" so with the Metra interface my Kenwood DDX 9903S PERFORMS PERFECTLY WITH NO FLAWS.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:16 PM
VitmnC
Advanced

Originally Posted by boonie c4
This new batch of PAC audio interfaces unlike their older counter parts are total JUNK, during my stereo upgrade i went through 2 of them 1 used out of my 08 the other brand new that wouldn't work in my 2012 c6 so a audio shop owner shared with me his recent experiences in which he had to return 3 in 1 week because of their failure to perform correctly. He highly recommended the Metra line " which I purchased + I've experienced 0 problem" so with the Metra interface my Kenwood DDX 9903S PERFORMS PERFECTLY WITH NO FLAWS.
Thank you for the advice! Would you happen to have the Metra part number?
Old 11-07-2018, 01:11 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Contact crutchfield
Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM
VitmnC
Advanced

Originally Posted by boonie c4
Contact crutchfield
I have however there is no Metra kit available for this unit. They only have PAC and Crux. Maybe it's only available for the Kenwood unit you have, either way, thank you.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:31 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Pianoblake,how is glare from the sun when the top is down? Does the head swivel?
Old 11-12-2018, 10:25 AM
ImBoosted
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all connections are good and head unit is not problematic, I'd imagine the wiring interface is faulty.

Get notified of new replies

To Sony xav-ax200 head unit installation c6

Quick Reply: Sony xav-ax200 head unit installation c6