Please help with this noise - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with this noise

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
Pir8Diver

We took our 2007 vert to the local Chevy dealer on Saturday. They changed the drive belt. Initially no squeak/chirp but after a road trip the noise came back. We've only had the car a week. During the purchase we were able to secure a 24 month/24,000 mile power train warranty so IF something major like the crankshaft pulley is failing it **should** be covered.
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
titanescape

Originally Posted by Pir8Diver View Post
We took our 2007 vert to the local Chevy dealer on Saturday. They changed the drive belt. Initially no squeak/chirp but after a road trip the noise came back. We've only had the car a week. During the purchase we were able to secure a 24 month/24,000 mile power train warranty so IF something major like the crankshaft pulley is failing it **should** be covered.
Was it making that "chirping" noise prior to the new belt? I was thinking about changing the belt but when I inspected it there were no cracks or anything. Since the soap trick stopped it, I was going to take the advise of the above poster and change the belt. As of lunch time(about an hour ago) I filled up then fired her up and listened for the noise. Still nothing. It's a rainy raw day here so when I get home I will check for noise again. If it comes back, I'll be using a hose, long screw driver(with a wooden handle) or mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint the noise. I really don't trust the Stealership...

Last edited by titanescape; Yesterday at 03:39 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Pir8Diver

The squeak/chirp was there prior to the new drive belt. It's also present when the A/C is turned off. The noise does go away when water is applied on the underside of the belt. Guess we'll have to get a mechanic's stethoscope to see if we can pinpoint the source too.
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
Jaime-Corvette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jaime-Corvette View Post
If the noise comes from the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer) then that would be a heck of a replacement
I would like to make a disclaimer as i'm not exactly sure if noise does actually come from the balancer or not. I do know that if the harmonic balancer is really wobbly and/or the rubber part from the inside of the pulley is coming apart then that is indication that it is a bad pulley. With the rubber part coming apart from the pulley it would also make the engine vibrate a lot and make that noise even if the balancer isnt wobbly and turning fine.

This is also why I would get an all metal one as a replacement and never worry about it. One like an ATI Super Damper.
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
Krusty84
CF Member

Since we are guessing here, I guess bad tensioner. Check to see if the tensioner is moving. If it is moving quite a bit, you probably found your problem.
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Jaime-Corvette
CF Senior Member

This is where I am at...
Well after I replaced my radiator, I had some antifreeze leak onto my belt and what not. I heard that antifreeze isnt exactly good for the belts.
Before that on every cold start it would chirp a little until warmed up enough.

Today I tried the trick where you put soap onto the underside of the belt and it completely stopped chirping immediately. I let the car idle for about 10 minutes and the sound slowly started coming back very very faintly. Im sure if I drove it for some time it would be back how it was all together.

I ordered a Gates belt and I'll get it tomorrow morning. I'll work on putting it on and report back with you guys. If the problem persists, I will be taking the next step as to which pulley or tensioner it might be.

(A lot of people recommend that if you are changing a belt for its age or condition and depending on your car's age, to replace all pulleys and tensioner all in one go to save problems in the future.)

Last edited by Jaime-Corvette; Yesterday at 07:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: