C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noises - Rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 02:10 PM
CorvetteGurl
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noises - Rear

I have a base 07, I'm 2nd owner, just bought in July. Previous owner put about 950 miles per year on it. When I start it up (not daily driver, but even if i drive 3 days in a row) and go forward, it makes horrible sounds from the rear (it sounds like a crunching/warbling noise). After pulling out of driveway (or even a parking spot if it sits for a few hours), it does it until I drive about a quarter mile. I'm a girl (an old girl at that), so give me a little leeway here....by any chance is it the oil/grease/idk in the rear and because the guy never tuned it up (with only 10K miles when I bought it) - maybe it needs to be changed out??? Or is there even grease or stuff like that in the rear. I really have no clue what I'm talking about, just a thought from a novice old lady who loves her corvette. Also, I plan on getting rid of the ridiculous run-flats and change over to some michelins - by any chance, could it be tire noise (maybe they got flat spotted??) Thanks in advance guys - I just want somewhere to start.....not expecting you guys to know completely what it is since you can't hear it.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:32 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

This could be anything from torque tube bearings, to rear end clutch chatter, to a lose axle nut.

Does it make the same noise going straight or turning?

If only going straight you can rule out rear end clutch chatter.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:45 PM
CorvetteGurl
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
This could be anything from torque tube bearings, to rear end clutch chatter, to a lose axle nut.

Does it make the same noise going straight or turning?

If only going straight you can rule out rear end clutch chatter.
First of all, thanks for your response. Secondly, not sure I wanted that response. Yep, straight and turning. Ok, I have 3 things to check out. Thanks again
Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

It's probably the jacking bolts - the jacking bolts on the leaf springs have pads that deteriorate over the years. Once the pads deteriorate then you have a metal on metal grinding noise all the time when the suspension flexes. There are shops that have replacement bolts/pads, I don't know if it is still the case but I think the stealer (dealer) will try and sell you the entire leaf springs. The Utube video will show you the bolts and pads I am talking about. This video I think shows them talking about cutting down the pads that I am trying to describe. There are all kind of replacement bolts for Lowering you car - but you will need to shop around for some with the stock pads if you don't want you car lowered.

Take you car to a reputable suspension shop that won't try and rip a woman off and have them put it on the rack and check it out, my bet is these pads have dry rotted and you are metal on metal on one of the corners......there is one of these bolts on each corner of the suspension.

I hope this helps you and my guess is correct.......

Last edited by BMF_C6; 10-25-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Noises - Rear

Quick Reply: Noises - Rear