C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth, Aux, hands free and USB charging

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:26 AM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bluetooth, Aux, hands free and USB charging

I have a 2006 C6 with Nav and XM. It SUCKS that the cars are missing Bluetooth, an Aux input, and USB charging and hands free phone (unless you are one of the few still using your Onstar).

There are a few ways to deal with this, but after much research I found the best, easiest, most cost effective way was the USA Spec BT45-Vette. It just plugs into the XM satellite receiver (not behind the head unit like some). You don't have to touch the head unit at all. The XM box is fairly easy to get at. Once located (in my car on the drivers side rear quarter panel area). It's pretty much just plug and play. If all you want is Bluetooth, then you are done after hooking it up and tucking away the wires. In my case I wanted to have the AUX, and USB charging as well. I took out the power point in the console and replaced it with a USB and Aux round input that dropped into place. Of course you have to take the console apart for this. There are some good videos on Youtube showing how to disassemble the console. I also connected the included microphone. I ran the mic cable down the drivers door sill and up the pillar. I stuck the mic right on top of the factory Onstar mic for a bit cleaner look. At some point I may try splicing the wires and using the Onstar mic....but for now this looks pretty unobtrusive.

Again, there are other ways to do this....from Ray Kawal's parts and pieces (which I considered), to Bluestar Costar, etc. I found this to be the easiest, most full featured, and most cost effective.

By the way, Ray Kawal's website is awesome....chalked full of great info.

My system works great and looks factory (with the exception of the microphone, which I doubt anyone would notice unless I pointed it out)!
The following users liked this post:
BMF_C6 (11-16-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:12 PM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

Nav display with BT45-Vette installed

Replaced Power Outlet in console

I spoke to USA-Spec about connecting the Onstar mic to their system. They said I could and it would work, but theirs is calibrated for the BT45 and most likely will not work as good. I can tell you that its really good. In fact I am buying another one of these for another car of mine.
Used Speaker phone today for the first time. The caller said it was clear as a bell too. Bonus,

Don't get me wrong....this doesn't deliver cutting edge technology (minimal features really - like no search features, directories etc) but for those of us that want to keep the original Nav system intact.....pretty cool set up.

Last edited by C6 Monterey; 10-27-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Added pics
The following users liked this post:
BMF_C6 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 06:59 PM
Pegaso
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Blue Tooth Unit by USA Spec

Once again I have benefited from this valuable forum and It's members. Thank you C6 Monterey!!! I also have a C6 2005 base, Navigation unit with XM. Of all the posts and suggestions on the Forum, this unit seemed to have been the best, I had tried the cigarette lighter devices, didn't like them. So I Ordered from Amazon, received today, almost took me longer to unpack than to install, it's plug and play. Routing the Mic and USB charger to the right location, for me, will take a bit longer, but that's everyones choice. As far as the unit, it does everything that it claims to do, all through the head unit, Blue Tooth, music, phone and charging. No need to remove head unit. I'm sharing my experience, as I know by the posts on the Forum that there are a lot of members searching for this solution.Thanks again C6 Montere.y
Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 PM
C6 Monterey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pegaso
Once again I have benefited from this valuable forum and It's members. Thank you C6 Monterey!!! I also have a C6 2005 base, Navigation unit with XM. Of all the posts and suggestions on the Forum, this unit seemed to have been the best, I had tried the cigarette lighter devices, didn't like them. So I Ordered from Amazon, received today, almost took me longer to unpack than to install, it's plug and play. Routing the Mic and USB charger to the right location, for me, will take a bit longer, but that's everyones choice. As far as the unit, it does everything that it claims to do, all through the head unit, Blue Tooth, music, phone and charging. No need to remove head unit. I'm sharing my experience, as I know by the posts on the Forum that there are a lot of members searching for this solution.Thanks again C6 Montere.y
Glad it was of help!

It IS a great forum, for sure!!

Get notified of new replies

To Bluetooth, Aux, hands free and USB charging

Quick Reply: Bluetooth, Aux, hands free and USB charging