C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Corvette Grand Sport starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 04:21 PM
cray47
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2012 Corvette Grand Sport starter problem

2012 Grand Sport. Starter was dragging and when hot would not start. Replaced starter and when I start the engine the starter keeps running. Was not a problem with old starter. Took that starter back and got a replacement and same thing happens. What is the problem?
Old 10-27-2018, 01:15 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Chances are the Starter relay in the engine fuse box is sticking in the contact postion.

Try swapping that relay, and see if you still have the problem.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:44 AM
cray47
Cruising

Thanks Dano523. I switched out the starter relay and still have the problem.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:30 PM
cray47
Cruising

Additional info: When I began to replace the starter, I disconnected the battery at the positive terminal. I read in another post that I should have disconnected the battery at the negative terminal. Could this have caused the problem? If so, suggested fix? Thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 09:32 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

junk rebuilds

go see how much a real GM new starter is
Old 10-28-2018, 02:07 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by cray47
Thanks Dano523. I switched out the starter relay and still have the problem.
Got one of two problems then.

Either the solenoid is binding up in the drawn inward position, or the ECM is not seeing the motor running, to stop sending the power to the relay to stop the starter motor from running.

So the easy way to tell which is which, is have someone hover on the starter relay fuse to pull it as soon as the car starts, which will at least break relay power to keep spinning the starter after the car starts. If with the starter relay pulled as soon as the motor starts, if the starter continues to spin, then its the starter itself the problem. If pulling the relay stops the starter from spinning, then a problem with the ECM/it's ability to see the motor running and stop the relay from sending power to the solenoid

The short version on the starter, powder to the A terminal pulls the starter solenoid cylinder towards the cap to put current across the two main terminals to power up the motor, and when the power to the A terminal is removed, this removes the electromagnets to the solenoid cylinder so it's cylinder is sprung back down (to remove the current through the two main connectors to power up the motor). Normally is not the solenoid cylinder that is binding up, but the leverage on the starter motor that binds that will not allow the cylinder in the solenoid to spring away.

So in the below photo, you have the solenoid (6) that its cylinder will be draw upward via power to the a terminal A, to power up the motor via the solenoid contact disc, and pull the starter drive gear into to contact with the flywheel. When the power is removed from terminal A, if the drive gear does not retract, then holds the solenoid in the contact ring engagement position of the two main terminals that powers up the motor, and the starter motor continues to keep running instead.

How starter solenoids works, and the bendex style with pull shaft is covered towards the end of the video.

Last edited by Dano523; 10-28-2018 at 02:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Got uid0 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 05:38 PM
cray47
Cruising

Thanks Dano523 ! This was very helpfuI. I had the engine started and immediately pulled the Starter Relay Fuse #43. The starter kept running so we shut it off. I pulled the fuse again and tried to start the engine and it would not start, so I believe I pulled the right fuse. This is the second starter of same brand. I bought it because the could get it the next day and the warranty. I took the first one back because I was confident the starter was the problem and they gave me another one of the same brand. They were Durolast Gold from Auto Zone and have a lifetime warranty. Two is enough! I researched online trying to find a "new" starter but all I could find were "rebuilt" or "re-manufactured" Any suggestions on where to find a "new" or a reliable rebuilt starter?
Old 10-31-2018, 02:58 PM
cray47
Cruising

I was really puzzled! I have been looking for a new starter but in the meantime I pulled the starter and did a bench check. I put power to the large post and then put power to the connection for the purple wire. The starter gear engaged and the starter ran. I pulled the power from the purple wire connection and the starter stopped as it should and the gear retracted. It seems the starter is working correctly. But there is still a problem of the noise at the starter. I reinstalled the starter and pulled the rubber plug from the back of the bell-housing so I could see what the starter was doing. I had my wife start the car while I watched with a flashlight. The car started and then made the same noise but I saw the starter gear engage the flywheel to start and the disengage when the engine started, but the noise was still there. While I could not see the starter side of the flywheel, it appeared that the starter gear was still touching the flywheel and making the noise. I pulled the starter again and measured from the mounting face, with the dust shield that acts as a shim in place, to the end face of the starter gear (0.30 inches). I then measured the distance from the bell housing to the face of the flywheel (0.20 inches). The gear is beveled some at the end which reduces the amount of contact but still enough to cause the noise. I was able to find a new starter (not rebuilt) on-line and awaiting delivery. I will measure the new starter before I install. Thanks again to Dano523 for the help eliminating electrical issues as the problem. I will post a followup when I get the new starter. I hope this saga might help someone else with a C6 starter problem.

Last edited by cray47; 11-06-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Update the problem
The following 2 users liked this post by cray47:
Jstan2014 (11-19-2018), mikeCsix (11-16-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 01:55 PM
cray47
Cruising

I got my "new" AC Delco starter ( ACD #337-1201, GM# 19338752 ). I measured the gear as described previously and it was the same as the 2 other starters. Just to be safe, I installed the new starter and had the same noise problem. I removed the starter and decided to modify the gear so it would clear the flywheel. Using my Dremel grinder with a small stone, I ground the leading end of each tooth of the gear back 1/8 inch, flush with the hub. I also beveled the leading edge like the original. I reinstalled the modified starter and no noise. Problem finally identified and solved.

I would really appreciate any feedback regarding whether the starter above may be the wrong starter for this model corvette, even though every website I checked indicates it is the right starter, and when I called the parts department at the Chevrolet dealer, they gave me the same ACD#.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Sounds like a problem with the flywheel to start with, and not having the needed clearances..

Does the car still have the OEM flywheel in the car, or did it get swapped out to an after market flywheel that was causing the problem isntead?
Old 11-12-2018, 12:42 PM
cray47
Cruising

I bought the 2012 Corvette new in late 2011 and it is all original. No aftermarket parts. Also the starter I replaced was the original starter and it did not have the problem, just dragging when hot. My gut feel is that there is a starter out there that is a direct fit (has a shorter gear). But I have not found it.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:48 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

Did you use somebody like Cultrag performance for parts: 189017847
Starter 1CORVETTE
$542.88$366.44

If at all possible, I won't buy parts from an autoparts store and would rather go to a supplier like Cultrag. I've had good success with them in the past.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:31 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 AM
cray47
Cruising

The story seems to have no end. I called the dealership where I bought the car and talked to the parts department. They gave me another part number. I had them check the other part numbers I had found and he said they all go back to the same starter. He suggested I talk to someone in the service department, which I did. After describing the situation and the modification I had to do to the starter, I was told they had seen some cases where, if you replace the starter, you have to replace the flywheel also. I said it is is easier to modify the starter than to replace the flywheel. That was the end of the conversation. The modified starter is working fine, so I will stop searching for another.

My next step is to send a letter to GM explaining my problem letting them know what I was told by the dealer. I will ask them if they think that this is what customers should experience with their product. Also why have they not sent out a tech bulletin on this and provided the fix at their expense.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:48 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Just purchased this one and it was $88 shipped.
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-337-1201-Professional-Starter/dp/B014MW8E68/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542757442&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ACDelco+337-1201+Professional+Starter https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-337-1201-Professional-Starter/dp/B014MW8E68/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542757442&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ACDelco+337-1201+Professional+Starter

Not certain why it is so inexpensive compared to other identical starters as it looks exactly like oem and arrived in an ac delco box and tagged the same?

Last edited by DSOMC6; 11-20-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:43 AM
cray47
Cruising

I bought the same ACDelco starter and it was cheaper than the remanufactured starters. It is the starter I had to modify and works fine. I have not heard of anyone that had the clearance problem I have which required the modification of the starter.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:59 AM
brooklands
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you ever find out something why the starter touched the flywheel? It seems like I have the same problem with a new 19338752 starter on my 08 Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To 2012 Corvette Grand Sport starter problem

Old 07-17-2021, 09:54 AM
cray47
Cruising

Originally Posted by brooklands
Did you ever find out something why the starter touched the flywheel? It seems like I have the same problem with a new 19338752 starter on my 08 Z06.
I fixed the starter problem by using my Dremel to shorten and shape the starter teeth. I consulted with a tech at the dealership about the problem and he said "sometimes we have to replace the flywheel when we replace the starter." which is crazy! The problem started with the engine getting hot but not showing overheated on temp gauge and the starter would not turn the engine until I let it set for15-20 minutes. I took it to the dealer twice and they said they found nothing wrong. After a couple of months, I was driving on interstate and the engine locked up. It was not showing "hot" on the temperature gage and oil pressure was fine. Water was not overly hot, so I pulled the dipstick and the oil burned my fingers. My vette did not have an oil temp gage. Engine had to be replaced.

All that' and here is the bottom line. I was talking to a corvette driver friend about the problem and he said a friend of his had the same problem and his engine blew up also. He said the cause was the crankshaft thrust bearing was wearing out allowing the crankshaft to move and creating the heat in the oil and and ultimately the failed the bearings and the engine locked up. I suggest you pry your fly wheel to see if it moves the crankshaft.

Good luck! I hope your problem is not as bad but I do not think your problem is the starter.

I traded the car in as-is for a reasonable price minus the repair cost and purchased a barely used 2019 Grand Sport which I love.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:13 AM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 380 Posts

Gotta love it when the easiest solution to a failing starter is to trade the car & purchase another. The ultimate for engineering planned obsolescence!

GD
Old 07-18-2021, 11:19 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,699 Posts

It's not unusual to occasionally have to shim the starter out if the teeth don't disengage from the flywheel.
The following users liked this post:
TXSTICK (07-20-2021)

Quick Reply: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport starter problem