C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with clutch, TT bearings and couplers

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 05:20 PM
bradbusa
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help with clutch, TT bearings and couplers

Hello all, New member here looking for some direction on a proven replacement path. I have a 2012 base with 6 speed manual. Am beginning to get some noises from what I believe is the driveline. After much research I am leaning towards yanking the transaxle and TT assembly to inspect bearings and replace rubber couplers. The car has 90k on it, and is a street car, so not looking to do anything crazy - no launches or 800whp. Just a stock ls3, but I am unsure of how the previous owner took care of it.
I've owned it for a few months and starting to notice more noise from directly under the shifter, and an occasional minor "knock" on hard accel, which is why i'm thinking I may have a bad bearing/coupler or two. And at that mileage seems like a likely worn component(s).
Trouble i'm having is finding part numbers for the bearings and couplers. I've searched until blue in the face and only come up with C5 posts, or people suggesting something might work, but no actual general consensus. I *think* would like to go with either a Timken or SKF set of bearings.
TIMKEN 9108PP BALL BEARING 40X68X15MM 2 SEALS 0.43 LB
TIMKEN 9107PP BALL BEARING 35X62X14MM 2 SEALS 0.32 LB
or
SKF USA INC 6008 2RSJEM BALL BEARING 40X68X15MM 0.463 LB
SKF USA INC 6007 2RSJEM BALL BEARING 35X62X14MM 0.37 LB
I believe these are the part numbers for those bearings, am looking for someone to confirm...

I am also a little unsure about which direction to go for the couplers.. I have read some people say go with the bmw couplers, others say stay stock GM. The only real confirmation i've been able to find are to stay away from the aftermarket six shooter, poly, or whatever solid offerings are available. I have seen mention of using stock zr1 couplers, but never any part numbers available.
I also intend to replace the clutch during this time as preventative maintenance. it is not slipping, but I consider myself an opportunist and see this as the perfect time to replace for longevity. Also will be replacing the master cylinder assembly and doing a remote bleeder.

Are there any other things I am missing/forgetting, or just unaware of that should be done during this time as well? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brad
Old 12-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Caveman74
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

This guy did a whole rebuild on his C6. Check out his video

Old 12-07-2018, 01:25 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Get a billet slave cylinder sleeve. Quartermaster makes a great product and is, as far as I’ve found, the least expensive.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:10 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

good share
Old 12-13-2018, 09:33 AM
bradbusa
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just following up in this thread as I am collecting my parts to do the job. I do have the Timken bearings 9107pp, and 9108pp on order.
so far I have received the rubber couplers and ordered both OEM and the Febi Bilstein versions to compare.
For reference here are the part numbers for a 2012 ls3. As you can see in the photos the OEM versions have several voids in the mold, probably for further cushioning. The BMW version is a more solid mold.
OEM 88894026
FEBI 25 11 1 227 410
Both couplers have "Made in Germany" molded into them, and they both appear to be made by SGF

Last edited by bradbusa; 12-13-2018 at 09:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bradbusa:
Emfuser (08-16-2019), Grahamsport (07-05-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To help with clutch, TT bearings and couplers

Quick Reply: help with clutch, TT bearings and couplers