C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Fireblade
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tshirtmeister
Im still hoping its my Nav antenna although its a bear to install correctly. I also want to put a usb head in my 05. I've been assured it will work but am worried now. I still think I damaged my antenna while installing a PAL unit I got from Ray Kawal. He's never seen this problem either. Any Thoughts???
Seems unlikely that it's the antenna. Maybe it's possible to test out your new antenna without actually installing it, by just leaving it lying on the dash or something? Actually installing it will be a real pain, and a waste of time if it doesn't change anything.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:10 PM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Thats what I will do. I had a hard time getting it unplugged and was pulling hard on it. May have damaged it R & R the radio. I just want it fixed. Still want to know if its the Nav head or antenna? Is there any other possibility?

Last edited by tshirtmeister; 12-26-2018 at 02:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ancient Warrior (08-10-2019)
Old 12-26-2018, 06:33 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

You seem very knowledgeable about this stuff. Doesn't this have to either the Radio head or the GPS antenna? I don't believe its any of the other modules but Im looking for any ideas?
Not sure "very" knowledgable is a good statement (I know a fair amount about GPS because of my work). So far as I know, in the C6 all nav and associated time functions are in the head unit, so its unlikely it is anything else (in my opinion). Antennas do not generally just "go bad" ... but if you were playing inside the center console you might have partially unplugged it or damaged the wire. However, if you are getting a good GPS signal on the navigation page, then it would seem everything is working as it should. Not sure why the clock on some has stopped if they still have a good GPS solution.

If you do try replacing the antenna, check the connector on the head unit and make sure you did not bend a pin. When you test it, make sure the car is outside where it gets a good GPS signal (GPS typically does not penetrate buildings well). It might take 10-20 minutes for the car to see enough satellites to develop a solution.

Last edited by 07MontyRed; 12-26-2018 at 06:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 07MontyRed:
06Rawpower (06-08-2019), redvette ron (03-16-2019), tshirtmeister (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 06:45 PM
tshirtmeister
Racer

I tried the antenna and no luck. It took a while to correct its location. No clock either. I hooked the old antenna back up. Had to recalibrate the location and it works but No Clock. Im stumped. The dealer will check for $150 Ouch.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:49 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

Okay, this is a real long-shot, but I saw this on another thread from a LONG time ago ... can't imagine it is the issue, but ...

"So the dealer replaced the radio and the clock worked for a little while then disappeared again. The only thing I did was put in a cd packed full of mp3's. The only thing I can figure is that an mp3 disk with lots of songs some how messes up the clock. If I remove the mp3 disk and cycle the power, the clock comes back. I need to try some mp3 disks with less data to see if the same thing happens but since this happened with two different nav radios I am guessing they all have the same issue. I'm surprised I haven't found anyone else who has run into the same problem."

So do any of the folks having the problem have MP3 discs in the unit? Not sure why it should matter, but ...

And I want to make sure that everybody is really getting a GPS signal (i.e., no slash through GPS on the nav screen). Just because the car displays a location does not mean it is receiving GPS (the cars essentially know where they are via inertial systems, although it is not terribly precise). Make sure there is no slash through the GPS icon (or that diagnostics reports a good GPS solution).
Old 12-26-2018, 07:57 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

when I turn mine on, the slash through the GPS is on for about a minute then the GPS and the slash disappear. I believe that is the normal function.
And I do not have CDs in my player. I have not owned or ripped CDs in many years.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:02 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I tried the antenna and no luck. It took a while to correct its location. No clock either. I hooked the old antenna back up. Had to recalibrate the location and it works but No Clock. Im stumped. The dealer will check for $150 Ouch.
Save your $150. My dealer's foreman did not know what's going on. Never heard of it. He said they do not have the capability to flash the radio for new software. All radio software update comes through disc updates. I have the latest disc, so there is that.
Best if someone contacts a GM district manager or local rep. and show them this thread.
06Rawpower (06-08-2019)
Old 12-26-2018, 08:59 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by corvettezman
when I turn mine on, the slash through the GPS is on for about a minute then the GPS and the slash disappear. I believe that is the normal function. And I do not have CDs in my player. I have not owned or ripped CDs in many years.
Hmmm, that is sort of weird in my experience. My car is garaged (under a five-story concrete building), but it never displays a slashed GPS icon when I drive out. I wonder if the head unit has a battery (or capacitor) that normally retains the last GPS position (and time) ... perhaps the battery/capacitor is going bad with age (aggravated by power being removed from the car during service)? I have never looked inside the head unit so I don't know .... might be worth a call to one of the places that repair out-of-date nav systems (a quick Google search will bring up several) and if they have an idea.
tshirtmeister (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 09:59 PM
tshirtmeister
Racer

I was telling my wife I wonder if there is a battery too! We were just coming home from dinner and I thought maybe there's a battery for the clock inside the nav unit. There are firmware updates that are on DVD for a 2005 anyway and Im not talking about the Map DVD thats different. Im gonna take mine back out and look. My dash is still out so only six screws. I think it will still have to go back to the dealer for programming. Either that or sent off to be rebuilt. That will be $1400 dollars labor Mr Tshirtmeister. Thanks A lot Mr Goodwrench. LOL. I will post what I find. I will bet even if there is a watch battery in there it will still have to be reprogrammed at the dealer. That will be $150 Mr Tshirtmeister. Thanks Mr Goodwrench. LOL.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:03 PM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Save your $150. My dealer's foreman did not know what's going on. Never heard of it. He said they do not have the capability to flash the radio for new software. All radio software update comes through disc updates. I have the latest disc, so there is that.
Best if someone contacts a GM district manager or local rep. and show them this thread.
Firmware updates are on disc but NOT the Nav Disc. Maybe only for older radios too. I know there is one for a 2005 but it add MP3 capability. You know you cant buy a new radio either unless its stolen or fire damage. Total BS. I was ready to drop $1700 for a USB and NO, No you cant buy one Mr Tshirtmeister. WOW. We cant have you upgrading your car! Oh Well.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:43 PM
tshirtmeister
Racer

If there is a battery its buried deep in the unit. I gave up and put the top and back covers back on. Im wondering if the dealer has to program the time?
Old 12-27-2018, 02:49 AM
Bluebiyou
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Took my car to the dealer yesterday to have recall stuff done.
I am now experiencing this same issue.

GPS has a slash (even though I've driven close to 100 miles) and no clock.

I have a 2005.
I just bought a 2006 Convertible and found it had 2 open recalls and took it in. When it came out GPS and Clock would not work. They took it back and said it was disconnected from battery too long and had to reprogram the car. That did nt help. Took it to a friend of mine who is a corvette mechanic and he reprogrammed it again and now GPS works but clock is still blank, as are the clock adjustment area. He said he has no idea unless it is in the radio itself. Said nav antenna was fine. Chevy dealer just did a crappy job in reprogramming
he said if you can live without a clock everything esle is fine. Car only has 13,681 miles.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:57 AM
Bluebiyou
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You can find used radio/nav units with XM radio all over ebay for 3-400, but whats to say the problem want reoccur. Ive had 3 C6 vettes with nav and had the recalls done etc and even had one with a dead battery that set for a couple of days before i found out and put in new battery and it never had this issue, must be in the radio. did not even have to reprogram them either,just reindex the windows. one was a 2012 and one was a 2009. I know the radio is slightly different but not that much, nav is still the same. only my 06 has the problem.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:01 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bluebiyou
I just bought a 2006 Convertible and found it had 2 open recalls and took it in. When it came out GPS and Clock would not work. They took it back and said it was disconnected from battery too long and had to reprogram the car. That did nt help. Took it to a friend of mine who is a corvette mechanic and he reprogrammed it again and now GPS works but clock is still blank, as are the clock adjustment area. He said he has no idea unless it is in the radio itself. Said nav antenna was fine. Chevy dealer just did a crappy job in reprogramming
he said if you can live without a clock everything esle is fine. Car only has 13,681 miles.
It's unfortunate, but welcome to the club.
I am more and more a believer that this issue is satellite related, and where or what satellite the radio looks for to set the clock.
It's getting to be almost impossible for all these radios in these post to act the same way and for all units to have gone bad. As I said before, while my car was in the body shop about three weeks ago for a month and a half getting some mods put on it, the battery was connected and disconnected several times, and the clock synced every time after it was re-connected. This issue started after I disconnected the battery two weeks ago or so and has never come back.
Homebetter@aol.com (12-12-2019)
Old 12-27-2018, 04:33 AM
Fireblade
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluebiyou
You can find used radio/nav units with XM radio all over ebay for 3-400, but whats to say the problem want reoccur.
For all we know right now, even if you bought a brand new nav unit from GM, the clock might never come on. So far, nobody has chimed in here and said they've disconnected the battery in a C6 w/ nav, since Dec 18 or so, and still have a working clock.

Seems most likely that either something changed with the GPS time signal that created a problem for the C6 nav unit, or a time-based bug has been triggered in the C6 nav unit where it won't accept a GPS date/time of mid-Dec 2018 or later. Probably worked until the battery disconnect because once it gets GPS time once, it can track date/time internally afterwards?
Homebetter@aol.com (12-12-2019)
Old 12-27-2018, 04:36 AM
tshirtmeister
Racer

I think its more likely that the radio may have an internal battery that has died. Come on Guys some one must have some info???
Im ordering all the stuff for adding a USB radio.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:39 AM
Fireblade
Advanced

I think its more likely that the radio may have an internal battery that has died. Come on Guys some one must have some info???
Im ordering all the stuff for adding a USB radio.
Unlikely it's any kind of internal battery, as we have 2005s, 2007s, and 2010s (mine) dying in here, in the same week.

Really need some 2011-2013 testing here, so we know if upgrading to the newer 2011-2013 nav unit might fix this. Besides, if this problem affects those, a lot of those cars are probably even still under extended warranty. Seems like GM would need to do something.

Also: no MP3 disc in mine. I do have a PAL v2 connected.

Last edited by Fireblade; 12-27-2018 at 04:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fireblade:
Homebetter@aol.com (12-12-2019), Rapid Fred (02-08-2019), sierradave (08-10-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Old 12-27-2018, 06:21 AM
Goraz
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

when I turn mine on, the slash through the GPS is on for about a minute then the GPS and the slash disappear. I believe that is the normal function.
And I do not have CDs in my player. I have not owned or ripped CDs in many years.
That's what I realised on my nav too, the last time. In the past, I could swear that the GPS fix was instantly avialable from engine start on. Now I have to drive a while til it comes to a fix. but the clock does not appear anymore.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:53 AM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Just talked to radios and more. No battery inside. No the GPS clock signal from the satellites is OK. He did say he has seen the Nav disk cause this. For $450 the will refurb your radio with a 1 year warranty. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:58 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I called GM at 866-522-9559 . I urge everyone that has this problem to call this number and report the issue.
They referred me back to the dealer. Going at 9:30 in the morning. They said they will only charge me $55 and report back to GM the findings.
GM needs to know about this issue and the more people call and report it, the better.
I will keep you guys posted although I know that nothing will come out of this visit.
If the dealer cannot fix the problem , then I will report it to the BBB.

jhawk127 (03-25-2019)

Quick Reply: "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect