C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:57 AM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Ben
They have known about it since 2011 when they reworked the units for the new signal.
Thats got to be Fact, The 2012 radio I installed works fine. Nippon Denso knew about it and fixed it. Its the same basic Nav chassis with an added USB and Aux port. I wonder if the firmware can't be fixed??? That the hardware was also changed inside to accommodate the newer GPS signal. Used Radios go from $350 up better hurry before their all gone or the price gets jacked up. Tell Chevy your done buying new Vettes until they fix this garbage. Cheers
Old 04-10-2019, 02:20 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

That is not necessarily the case. As I posted months ago, some manufacturers use the date of their firmware as the base date, not the GPS born-date. If that is how Denso wrote their code, the simple fact that the newer radios have a different firmware date would have "fixed" the week-rollover issue with no conscious effort on their part. It also means that the 2012+ radios may die at some unpredictable date in the future.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:49 PM
kenvetted2008
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOSE CLOCK on NAV NOT working!!!!

I wrote to BOSE via the website - this is an issue so many people are having - I also call GM and they gave me 100 dollars off my next service.

And for 9 dollars I bought a clock the clips to my A/C vent.

Write these people and tell them

https://automotive.bose.com/contact-us
Old 04-10-2019, 08:49 PM
Skaffa77
8th Gear

Well...count me in for the No-Clock problem after replacing the battery yesterday. My old battery went bad and I kept seeing the Service Column Lock on my display.

On top of that...I found the source of a coolant leak yesterday as well. Crack in the radiator.

Not a good week for my C6.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:37 AM
compyelc4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettezman
They will tell you your radio is bad like they did me.
Ladies and Gentlemen, you are all beating a dead horse. The "no GPS clock" issue is due to the Air Force updating their GPS satellite clock frequencies (WNRO update). The clock in your C6's run off of this GPS signal. Affected C6's are 2005 thru 2011. GM and its GPS radio supplier failed to consider future problems with this unit as a result of AF GPS clock frequencies being changed from time-to-time (approx. every 1,024 days). I believe the last change was either in late '18 or early '19. During or after this change, if you disconnect and then reconnect your battery, for whatever reason, your GPS clock will lose its old "down link" from whatever satellite/s your GPS links to. GM was clueless, but now they are receiving hundreds of calls complaining about the loss of C6 and some other GM brand autos with GPS clocks. In my opinion this is hopeless, as the only fix would be to have GM issue a firmware update (not software such as getting a revised GPS DVD), and I doubt they will even care to cure all of our 10 year old head units. The dealers have no work-around fix for this so save yourself some grief and just accept it. I have and am moving on.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong and find just the fix we need.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff-Ford (04-17-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 08:57 AM
vintagegas
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kenvetted2008

I wrote to BOSE via the website - this is an issue so many people are having - I also call GM and they gave me 100 dollars off my next service.

And for 9 dollars I bought a clock the clips to my A/C vent.

Write these people and tell them

https://automotive.bose.com/contact-us
As you suggested I sent the email to Bose. I have already spoken to GM and got a case #. Also spoke to my local Chevy Dealership Mgr. He told me "save your money, don't bring the Vette in. We don't have a fix. GM or Nippon Denso has to update the firmware."
Old 04-11-2019, 12:10 PM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by 07MontyRed
That is not necessarily the case. As I posted months ago, some manufacturers use the date of their firmware as the base date, not the GPS born-date. If that is how Denso wrote their code, the simple fact that the newer radios have a different firmware date would have "fixed" the week-rollover issue with no conscious effort on their part. It also means that the 2012+ radios may die at some unpredictable date in the future.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Troy
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

This could explain why my GPS is slow to connect. Satellites not where it expects.

I did contact BBB. Got a call back looking for more info today. I suggest redress via every avenue until we get to the bottom of this.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:35 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Troy
This could explain why my GPS is slow to connect. Satellites not where it expects.

I did contact BBB. Got a call back looking for more info today. I suggest redress via every avenue until we get to the bottom of this.

Pissing in the wind. In earlier posts, I mentioned that I filed a claim with the BBB, and they basically blew me off as having a 12 year old car and that they only deal with lemon laws that apply to new cars and cars that are under warranty.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:14 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Whats the biggest double din screen as a replacement
Old 04-11-2019, 08:26 PM
robertfa
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Ladies and Gentlemen, you are all beating a dead horse. The "no GPS clock" issue is due to the Air Force updating their GPS satellite clock frequencies (WNRO update). The clock in your C6's run off of this GPS signal. Affected C6's are 2005 thru 2011. GM and its GPS radio supplier failed to consider future problems with this unit as a result of AF GPS clock frequencies being changed from time-to-time (approx. every 1,024 days). I believe the last change was either in late '18 or early '19. During or after this change, if you disconnect and then reconnect your battery, for whatever reason, your GPS clock will lose its old "down link" from whatever satellite/s your GPS links to. GM was clueless, but now they are receiving hundreds of calls complaining about the loss of C6 and some other GM brand autos with GPS clocks. In my opinion this is hopeless, as the only fix would be to have GM issue a firmware update (not software such as getting a revised GPS DVD), and I doubt they will even care to cure all of our 10 year old head units. The dealers have no work-around fix for this so save yourself some grief and just accept it. I have and am moving on.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong and find just the fix we need.
We may all be beating a dead horse but I don't see how the WNRO is the cause.
The problem started in December, 2018 or earlier not on April 6th. What did you mean by GPS clock frequency changing every 1,024 days? The WNRO in GPS time-keeping is every 1,024 weeks. I don't believe there is a 1,024 day count. The last rollover was in 1999. I believe the clock in our nav radios continues to free-run when GPS signals are not available (probably also so long as the car battery is connected). I believe when anyone with this vintage of nav radio disconnected power and re-connected power it looks for time and date translated from the GPS time which it is *failing to provide. I'm amazed that it not designed to allow the clock to free run all the time if it's not being synced to GPS. I think the firmware (or software) flaw is more like post#656 (also see my post#674) incorrect data conversion. In any previous post reporting the clock problem, most, if not all people on this list have noted that the navigation is still working, map displaying the correct location. I've experienced that the navigation has worked OK all of this time on my nav radio as well. If the GPS receiver is functioning correctly, displaying accurate location, it must be receiving all satellite data (including time) and it must be syncing to GPS system time. If it does not have precise time it will not calculate a location. *My theory (and I'm not a GPS expert but do have an engineering background) is the problem is down stream from the GPS receiver where time data is converted to conventional time and date for display. Also, from what I've seen, latitude and longitude as well as time are not displayed or falsely displayed on the diagnostic GPS page (see post#622) yet the receiver must have lat and long and correct time in order to determine valid location.
So, in the end it still needs updated software or firmware or (I hope not) hardware for a fix.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:28 PM
LS14ME2
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

So I just took the vette for a nice long drive and thought how it would have been nice to have a clock to use instead of having to look at my phone sitting in the passenger seat to check the time.
Is it a big deal? no not really, but in the whole scheme of things, and the laundry list of more critical items we have had to deal with, HB, door latch access, cheap **** coolant and shifter fittings, shifter solenoid, and all the other stuff that really matters, which I might add I paid to get fixed, would it be so bad for GM to throw us a bone and fix our clocks for us?

I doubt it will ever happen so I am not going to be disappointed, but for ***** sake, is it too much to ask to have a clock that works in the Corvette?
Old 04-11-2019, 09:22 PM
compyelc4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Robert Arnt
The clock disappeared on my 2008 after simply leaving the battery disconnected for about 40 min while replacing my AC/Heat control unit.

Oh yeah... This year's BASH in Bowling Green is coming up at the end of April. So, pushing out the clock fix on the 9th might be evil genius?
What a huge disappointment. No fix.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:43 PM
csmholmes
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by csmholmes
Called GM, connected to Customer Service. Nicely took my information, nicely took my information, again. Told me he would have the
Dealership's Senior Manager give me a call within 48 hours with a possible solution. This is the second time that I have gotten a case number.
This whole situation is a farce.
Got a call from GM Senior Advisor. Took my name again. Gave me another case number and told me that they are working on it and to call back in three months if they haven't called me back.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:45 AM
mkalush
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just happened on my 07 with the battery change. Found any solutions yet?
Old 04-12-2019, 03:24 AM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Chevy sent me emails about the C8 wanting to know if I wanted more info. I replied and wrote them on their email contact too. heres the short email, the long message sent via their website was scathing , here it is. Don’t like it at all.

I’ve purchased 9 NEW Corvettes since 1998. I actually sold my 2017 Z06 and bought a C6 with 10,000 miles. I don’t want a Ferrari combo Acura NSX foreign looking piece of Junk that’s impossible for a car enthusiast to work on. Wont do it. IMHO Corvette has left the building! Plus you aren’t taking care of the 2005-2010 C6 owners with Navigation and No Clock now if they unhook the Battery I know I had to replace the Nav head in my 05 with a 2012 USB Nav Head. Adios Corvette Buying! Look up my Name Paul K., XXXXXXXXXXXXXX! They have my info as Ive purchased so many new Vettes. We will see.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 AM
vintagegas
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tshirtmeister
Chevy sent me emails about the C8 wanting to know if I wanted more info. I replied and wrote them on their email contact too. heres the short email, the long message sent via their website was scathing , here it is. Don’t like it at all.

I’ve purchased 9 NEW Corvettes since 1998. I actually sold my 2017 Z06 and bought a C6 with 10,000 miles. I don’t want a Ferrari combo Acura NSX foreign looking piece of Junk that’s impossible for a car enthusiast to work on. Wont do it. IMHO Corvette has left the building! Plus you aren’t taking care of the 2005-2010 C6 owners with Navigation and No Clock now if they unhook the Battery I know I had to replace the Nav head in my 05 with a 2012 USB Nav Head. Adios Corvette Buying! Look up my Name Paul K., XXXXXXXXXXXXXX! They have my info as Ive purchased so many new Vettes. We will see.
BRAVO TO YOU!

They need us...we can go elsewhere for muscle cars. I'm thinking about a Challenger.

Get notified of new replies

To "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Old 04-12-2019, 12:24 PM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Chevy called me this morning and I told them I would never buy a C8 until they take care of us on this C6 Nav Issue even though mine is fixed. I told them they're getting a ton of bad comments on here and They gave me a case number, assured me they know about this problem and will let me know when they have a fix. I also told them I didn't like the looks of the C8 and no storage inside the car. I also let them know my buying history as Ive bought 9 new Vette since 98 and that they are Blowing It!! Hope it helps as I support my Brothers in Vettes! Brothers is used loosely as many ladies are in this Group of Vette owners. Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
Youngeyes (04-15-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 01:06 PM
compyelc4
Advanced

Originally Posted by robertfa
We may all be beating a dead horse but I don't see how the WNRO is the cause.
The problem started in December, 2018 or earlier not on April 6th. What did you mean by GPS clock frequency changing every 1,024 days? The WNRO in GPS time-keeping is every 1,024 weeks. I don't believe there is a 1,024 day count. The last rollover was in 1999. I believe the clock in our nav radios continues to free-run when GPS signals are not available (probably also so long as the car battery is connected). I believe when anyone with this vintage of nav radio disconnected power and re-connected power it looks for time and date translated from the GPS time which it is *failing to provide. I'm amazed that it not designed to allow the clock to free run all the time if it's not being synced to GPS. I think the firmware (or software) flaw is more like post#656 (also see my post#674) incorrect data conversion. In any previous post reporting the clock problem, most, if not all people on this list have noted that the navigation is still working, map displaying the correct location. I've experienced that the navigation has worked OK all of this time on my nav radio as well. If the GPS receiver is functioning correctly, displaying accurate location, it must be receiving all satellite data (including time) and it must be syncing to GPS system time. If it does not have precise time it will not calculate a location. *My theory (and I'm not a GPS expert but do have an engineering background) is the problem is down stream from the GPS receiver where time data is converted to conventional time and date for display. Also, from what I've seen, latitude and longitude as well as time are not displayed or falsely displayed on the diagnostic GPS page (see post#622) yet the receiver must have lat and long and correct time in order to determine valid location.
So, in the end it still needs updated software or firmware or (I hope not) hardware for a fix.
You are correct. It is 1024 weeks not days. I stand corrected. Also, I have been able to hack into my GPS and look at what is being delivered by the GPS satellites and received by my receiver. From what I can tell I am receiving latitude longitude coordinates and getting maybe six to seven satellites at a time. The only entry that is blank is the received time and date. So yes, I can see how the GPS works correctly, but there is no time shown. No time is received!

Last edited by compyelc4; 04-12-2019 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Troy
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

No storage? It is reported to hold two sets of golf clubs, which is a daily driver requirement of mine.

BTW pulled my Bentley out of the garage this morning and noted my NAV system came alive immediately, unlike my 2010 Corvette which takes 5-15 minutes now. I think this slowness is a problem related to the clocks. Didn't the NAV used to connect with accuracy right away?

Last edited by Troy; 04-12-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect