C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:54 PM
Mark Ainsworth
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Just bought a 2006 Convertible. Disconnected battery in vain attempt to solve memory seat problem. I am not going to get bent out of shape over it. My Nav works fine and does not take a long time to acquire satellites as at least one other person has complained. I do wonder if the lack of the proper time will affect the accuracy of the GPS. I have not noticed it yet but I do not use the navigation very often. I will experiment.

For people who are bothered by it, my suggestion would be, as others have suggested, to get a 2011-2013 unit. I don't think that $500 is such a dear price -even adding the $150 to reprogram, given the improved GUI and additional capabilities. The least expensive aftermarket units I have seen from reputable manufacturers are around $700. Granted those are new and would support some advanced features, but the dealer would charge you well over $1,000 for a factory unit. My second option would be to actually buy an aftermarket unit, but then you have the nightmare of connecting the wiring (maybe Crutchfield has a kit that plugs into the factory connector)

I have just ordered V10 disk on e-bay ($20). I am looking forward to seeing what that buys me. I wanted mainly for updated POIs.

Personally I am more interested in getting the memory seats fixed (The seats work fine and the buttons make the right noises, but they do not cause the seats to actually move)

My C6 is my 4th Corvette and comes to me after a long hiatus. Happy to have a Corvette again.
'

Last edited by Mark Ainsworth; 04-16-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:18 PM
compyelc4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bstedman
Well, my clock came back yesterday morning after being absent for weeks. I did nothing to initiate it. It had some trouble keeping the correct time throughout the day, so I had to reset it a couple of times. This morning everything seems fine and it is keeping the time correctly...for now!
Do you have a clue why your clock returned to normal. Sounds like a miracle.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:28 PM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Ainsworth
I have the same problem. Just bought a 2006 Convertible. Disconnected battery in vain attempt to solve memory seat problem. I am not going to get bent out of shape over it. My Nav works fine and does not take a long time to acquire satellites as at least one other person has complained. I do wonder if the lack of the proper time will affect the accuracy of the GPS. I have not noticed it yet but I do not use the navigation very often. I will experiment.

For people who are bothered by it, my suggestion would be, as others have suggested, to get a 2011-2013 unit. I don't think that $500 is such a dear price -even adding the $150 to reprogram, given the improved GUI and additional capabilities. The least expensive aftermarket units I have seen from reputable manufacturers are around $700. Granted those are new and would support some advanced features, but the dealer would charge you well over $1,000 for a factory unit. My second option would be to actually buy an aftermarket unit, but then you have the nightmare of connecting the wiring (maybe Crutchfield has a kit that plugs into the factory connector)

I have just ordered V10 disk on e-bay ($20). I am looking forward to seeing what that buys me. I wanted mainly for updated POIs.

Personally I am more interested in getting the memory seats fixed (The seats work fine and the buttons make the right noises, but they do not cause the seats to actually move)

My C6 is my 4th Corvette and comes to me after a long hiatus. Happy to have a Corvette again.'
I put the 2012 USB radio in my `05 and swapped the console out and also added the USB cabling and AUX port cabling. I was also able to add steering controls on my 05. Had to change Air-Bag, St Wheel and clock spring. Whats nice and WHY you don't want the aftermarket unit is turn by turn directions and music info in the Heads Up Display. Very Nice. Add a Bluestar Costar afor Blue Tooth and Wala it uses the contacts in the phone so calling is as easy as push a button and say Call Joe Blow. Mutes the stereo. Very good. I spent about $1200 and Im very Happy.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:51 AM
vintagegas
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 73 Posts

I would like to share a thought that i had concerning the no clock situation.

In your HOME computer, if you have a problem, there is an option to reset the computer to an earlier date. This enables you to get all your computer settings back and have the system work as it did before you experienced whatever problem you had.

Is it possible to somehow use the same technique in the car computer? This would hopefully restore the Nav and clock to an earlier date, maybe in October or November of 2018, before we all experienced these problems. ANY IDEAS?
Old 04-17-2019, 04:47 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

No solution in this thread, correct?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:02 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Lol, buying a new deck with CarPlay... I am ordering mine today
Old 04-17-2019, 05:03 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I am leaning towards leaving bose amp in replace deck and maybe speakers in the doors and dynamat inside of doors
Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Mark Ainsworth
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exceedingly casual one's (TShirtMeister's) comments around the idea of replacing with newer C6 head is indeed interesting. And I am going to look into Bluestar. However, I am not keen to replace the console and steering wheel. To me the only real use of the usb is for TIDAL via Android Auto, and the AA interface to TIDAL sucks anyway. I think I'd rather just keep some CDs handy. I find the controls on the radio to be convenient enough that I don't need to have them on the steering wheel.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:34 AM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark Ainsworth
The exceedingly casual one's (TShirtMeister's) comments around the idea of replacing with newer C6 head is indeed interesting. And I am going to look into Bluestar. However, I am not keen to replace the console and steering wheel. To me the only real use of the usb is for TIDAL via Android Auto, and the AA interface to TIDAL sucks anyway. I think I'd rather just keep some CDs handy. I find the controls on the radio to be convenient enough that I don't need to have them on the steering wheel.
LMAO at "The exceedingly casual one's" comment! I was a screen printer for 26 years after my mechanic and electronic stent. I have more T-shirts than anyone here. LMAO. I am down now to less than 500 or so. Hee Hee!

I also have a 6 cd changer. Paid $60 for a new one on Ebay! Found 13 cd carts too for about $15 each. I'm stocked up! The Steering wheel wasn't that bad to install. Had to add wiring for the SW controls. You'll need a 2009 or later clock spring too. It does take some electrical know how. If anyone needs help I can point you to the info as its all here and been done before. Some folks were saying it wouldn't work on an 05 but I can say it does. I love it, I can switch cd in my changer with the 1-6 button.

The costar Blue star is awesome although in 05s it won't auto connect. I have to tap the blue Onstar button once and it connects. If you don't want to change the console you can just use a mini usb cable. It wasn't that bad but I was an ASE master mechanic and an Electronic Tech too. You can play usb devices such as iPods and Thumbdrives too. The Door speaker are a pain to swap. I instead added a Pyle 300W RMS Subwoofer that has a second 300W stereo amp and put 5.25" Kickers in the back and wired them to this amp. Its Bad ***, Loud and no distortion. The Subwoofer with second amp amp and speakers were less than $200. Sounds like a concert hall. Totally made the BLOZE system come alive. CDs sound way better than mp3 files. Although I have 800 cds on my 160gb iPod classic and it works great!

Heres the link for the stereo upgrade to a USB 20856087 stereo! 4 on Ebay for $500 - $750. Better hurry before they are gone. I got one for $350

http://www.kawal.net/USB%20Nav.htm

Heres a link to my upgrades! Hope it may help!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-upgrade.html

Last edited by tshirtmeister; 04-19-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:48 AM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tshirtmeister
heres the link for the stereo upgrade to a usb 20856097 stereo! 4 on ebay for $500 - $750.
20856097 -> 20856087
Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 PM
yellovett
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Replaced battery in our '08 today and add me to the list of no more clock. Called 800-222-1020 and got not-so-informed service rep who transferred me to a different customer service center, who had no idea what the info center on a corvette looks like, but finally agreed to open a ticket, of which he gave me the number, but no assurance that I'd be notified of any future fix. Wanted to set me up with dealership, which is where he said bulletins originate. I told him I'd seen enough posts about running diagnostics which don't show anything except a lighter wallet. Seems like someone at GM should have the clout to launch a fix.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:13 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by kenvetted2008

I wrote to BOSE via the website - this is an issue so many people are having - I also call GM and they gave me 100 dollars off my next service.

And for 9 dollars I bought a clock the clips to my A/C vent.

Write these people and tell them

https://automotive.bose.com/contact-us
The head unit is not made by Bose so they'll probably have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:53 PM
compyelc4
Advanced

Originally Posted by vintagegas
I would like to share a thought that i had concerning the no clock situation.

In your HOME computer, if you have a problem, there is an option to reset the computer to an earlier date. This enables you to get all your computer settings back and have the system work as it did before you experienced whatever problem you had.

Is it possible to somehow use the same technique in the car computer? This would hopefully restore the Nav and clock to an earlier date, maybe in October or November of 2018, before we all experienced these problems. ANY IDEAS?
I'm not a programmer, but have been doing a ton of reading about this problem, and not just on GM sites. As I understand it, I don't think so because the USAF GPS satellites are now sending a 10-bit clock signal and your old GPS clock is trying to "shake hands" with an older 13-bit clock signal. If you could revert back to earlier programming you still would have 13-bit clock signal. I believe the mfg. of our head units is going to have to come up with a downloadable program to move our systems to a 10-bit clock signal. Do you realize this problem is not just with our Vettes, but is across the board with any car maker's head units made by Denso and sold in the 2005-2011 time frame.

Last edited by compyelc4; 04-18-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:40 PM
Fireblade
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Do you realize this problem is not just with our Vettes, but is across the board with any car maker's head units made by the mfg. that makes ours. I forgot the name of the head unit mfg. Sorry.
The maker is Denso, and the nav unit in 2011-2013 Corvettes, which is also made by Denso, still works just fine. And by the way, GPS still works in the 2005-2010 units too, it's just the clock that doesn't.

You got the 10-bit vs 13-bit stuff backwards. 13-bit is the newer way. Also, there shouldn't be any reason they would need to move over to the 13-bit week field, 10-bit still works just fine as long as it's handled properly. Not to mention, if 10-bit week numbers was really the issue here, these units would have failed on April 6th, not last December. Frankly, we don't even know if the unit is using 10-bit or 13-bit weeks anyway.

To top it off, we don't necessarily even need GPS clocks here. Most people would be perfectly fine if the nav unit let them set the clock manually. The user interface to do so is there, but it doesn't actually work. Fixing that would be the easy way to "fix" this.

Last edited by Fireblade; 04-18-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:54 PM
ApathyGifted
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those saying Denso must have known about the problem because they updated for 2011, and others saying that maybe the 2011+ cars are going to end up with this issue in the future:

The GPS specifications were updated in 2008 to deal with the 2019 epoch. Specifically, units had to be able to roll over to the new week count without reverting back to 1999. 2010 is roughly when all these changes would have been implemented. So Denso did know, and it will never be an issue with your 2011+ radio. It's possible Denso updated earlier than that, but GM was still buying an old part until they did a refresh to add the USB and other features.

It should be possible to fix this software-wise by just updating what the week 0 date is for the epoch, but that would result in this same issue occurring near the end of 2038 (I doubt anyone here is going to care too much about their GPS clock in a 28-33 year old car though). Alternatively, since there is a manual setting function that's simply locked out, they could unlock it.

GM may be running into an issue that Denso just doesn't want to do it (since there hasn't been a fix for any of the other manufacturers using their units yet either) because there's no money in it for them and they'll still be selling GPS units regardless of what car customers complain about, because they're not the OEM with the reputation to try and uphold.

So, short answer: if you can do the USB-unit upgrade, go for it. You won't have this problem in the future.

I'm still holding out for a software update because I literally just replaced mine 9 months ago because of a cracked screen, and it's not like I can make my money back by selling this one now.
The following users liked this post:
tshirtmeister (04-19-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 10:01 PM
Fireblade
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ApathyGifted
For those saying Denso must have known about the problem because they updated for 2011, and others saying that maybe the 2011+ cars are going to end up with this issue in the future:

The GPS specifications were updated in 2008 to deal with the 2019 epoch. Specifically, units had to be able to roll over to the new week count without reverting back to 1999. 2010 is roughly when all these changes would have been implemented. So Denso did know, and it will never be an issue with your 2011+ radio. It's possible Denso updated earlier than that, but GM was still buying an old part until they did a refresh to add the USB and other features.
You're assuming the GPS week rollover was the problem here, but if it really was, our clocks would have failed on April 6th, not last December.

Even if you do assume that rollover was the problem, despite the lack of evidence, there's no guarantee that the 2011-2013 units would continue working after the next rollover in November 2038.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:41 PM
compyelc4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fireblade
The maker is Denso, and the nav unit in 2011-2013 Corvettes, which is also made by Denso, still works just fine. And by the way, GPS still works in the 2005-2010 units too, it's just the clock that doesn't.

You got the 10-bit vs 13-bit stuff backwards. 13-bit is the newer way. Also, there shouldn't be any reason they would need to move over to the 13-bit week field, 10-bit still works just fine as long as it's handled properly. Not to mention, if 10-bit week numbers was really the issue here, these units would have failed on April 6th, not last December. Frankly, we don't even know if the unit is using 10-bit or 13-bit weeks anyway.

To top it off, we don't necessarily even need GPS clocks here. Most people would be perfectly fine if the nav unit let them set the clock manually. The user interface to do so is there, but it doesn't actually work. Fixing that would be the easy way to "fix" this.
Thanks for straightening me out!

Get notified of new replies

To "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Old 04-18-2019, 10:57 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

For those who want to keep up with the most current information, suggest following the only sticky thread in C6 Tech/Performance.

And follow my thread in Ask Tadge. There be advised that the moderator has stated he will refer no C6 questions to Tadge.

Do call Chevrolet Infotainment, give them your VIN and e-mail address, and get a Service Request Number.
Do backfill your local Chevy dealer with this Service Request Number.

Do NOT waste your money on a replacement head unit.
Do NOT waste anybody's time with BBB compaints and such.

Unless there's a secret screen spot we can press to fix this problem that nobody knows about, the ONLY fix is for GM and DENSO to reopen their support contract. DENSO owns the proprietary code that runs in our head units. They must update it and send out another round of DVDs. They may cost $$. But any other action is useless and will poison our relationship with GM, such as it is.

Finally, we're not alone. This is a Y2K-like problem that is starting to mushroom. A WiFi interconnect system installed in NYC after 9/11 failed on April 6. Both NYC and Northrup-Grumman have publicly denied there is a problem, but behind the scenes they're struggling mightily to find a solution. The NYCWiN system, which allows NYPD, FDNY, and many other city organizations to communicate with each other, is hard down. Apparently both neglected to read and act on the GPS update bulletin that announced the change of the epoch week field from 10 bits to 13 bits.

Last edited by Eritosthenes; 04-18-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:49 AM
vintagegas
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by yellovett
Replaced battery in our '08 today and add me to the list of no more clock. Called 800-222-1020 and got not-so-informed service rep who transferred me to a different customer service center, who had no idea what the info center on a corvette looks like, but finally agreed to open a ticket, of which he gave me the number, but no assurance that I'd be notified of any future fix. Wanted to set me up with dealership, which is where he said bulletins originate. I told him I'd seen enough posts about running diagnostics which don't show anything except a lighter wallet. Seems like someone at GM should have the clout to launch a fix.
Gm does not care. I guess because these cars are out of warranty.

I am wondering if there is a way to get into the car's computer. In your home computer, if you have a problem, you can reset it to an earlier date and then recover all your settings and resolve whatever problem you are having because you went to a date before the problem occurred. What if we could do the same thing with the car?

Also one of the posts on this Forum tells of a person, who after weeks of no clock, suddenly had the clock again. It came back. I did some research on this and was told that the total recycle of the cars' systems does not take effect until after approximately 50 restarts. So in theory after you lose your clock. if you continue to drive your Vette, your clock should come back after you start the car around 50 times. DON'T KNOW IF IT IS TRUE but was told by a Chevy mechanic. Hope he is right.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:36 AM
tshirtmeister
Racer

I still wonder what chevy dealers are going to do with trades? Uhm we will have to take $3K off blue book cause ya clock no wookey! I got a 08 Vette you might like only problem is the clock don't work Sir! We''ll take $100 of the price!

Last edited by tshirtmeister; 04-19-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect