C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 04:49 PM
vintagegas
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Ben
The car that I buy to replace my Vette will not be a Vette also. Not sure what it will be.
I know the story that these cars are 10 plus years old and are out of warranty. BUT...the vehicles affected by this fiasco are GM's bread and butter cars. Maybe if they lose some customers and people start buying other brands because of this problem they will wake up! When I make my Challenger purchase, I AM GOING TO SEND GM A REGISTERED LETTER LETTING THEM KNOW WHY I CHANGED BRANDS.
The following users liked this post:
tshirtmeister (06-08-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 04:57 PM
vintagegas
Racer

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Is GM playing dumb? Perhaps, although not sure who you talked to when you "spoke to GM". Nippon Denso is/was a supplier to GM. The part in question operated properly through it's warranty period. Now, out of warranty, you expect GM to fix it.

I guess it won't be an Acura. Or a Toyota (they own 25% of Nippon Denso).
Yes! I expect them to back up their product. This problem is NOT because it is broken. It is a software update problem. I would suppose that once they figure out how to solve the problem, the update could be put on a disc. It would cost them the price of a disc to keep their loyal customers happy. Just take a look at how many people on this forum are complaining about this problem. AND THIS IS JUST THE CORVETTE OWNERS! What about the Cadillac, Chevy truck, Saab etc. folks? That's a lot of pissed off people who may not come back. I think it would make good business sense to spring for the cost of a disc (not counting the cost of some engineer to figure out the solution) to keep current and potential future customers happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by vintagegas:
06Rawpower (06-09-2019), tshirtmeister (06-08-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vintagegas
Yes! I expect them to back up their product. This problem is NOT because it is broken. It is a software update problem. I would suppose that once they figure out how to solve the problem, the update could be put on a disc. It would cost them the price of a disc to keep their loyal customers happy. Just take a look at how many people on this forum are complaining about this problem. AND THIS IS JUST THE CORVETTE OWNERS! What about the Cadillac, Chevy truck, Saab etc. folks? That's a lot of pissed off people who may not come back. I think it would make good business sense to spring for the cost of a disc (not counting the cost of some engineer to figure out the solution) to keep current and potential future customers happy.
I agree. In addition to the people complaining on the various forums there must be many times that that are not on a forum. They may be even more upset if they took their car to the dealer and paid ~$100 to find out there was no fix.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:00 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Okay - I have posted earlier when this thread began: 2009 C6 Coupe, 4lt, NAV, Bose, SiriusXM, Onstar, Steering Wheel controls for the radio and phone, A6

My junk went out, both the NAV and the Clock and I also opened a ticket with GM - it is fully evident that this is something that probably is not going to get rectified just like Acura, Mercedes, and other GM vehicles (cost will be way too much for them to absorb) - I must mention that a while back my factory Bluetooth was also acting wonky and eventually stopped working and also my CD player was starting to act a bit suspect -

However today I got everything back - I replaced everything and upgraded the system

I eventually wanted to go this route anyway and I purchased from Crutchfield a Kenwood DNX575S, interface that allows all factory stuff to work, I got NAV, CD/DVD, phone (way better system for the phone), SiriusXM (switched over my lifetime sub. to the new unit) and I was able to install my Bazooka Tube (BTA8100) sub woofer, B/U camera and front camera - I mean jeeez it just keeps going, I kept the BOSE speakers and all I can say is that it sounds phenomenal, the settings in this system are out of this world -

I had Crutchfield do the splicing of the interface and harnesses and I did all the rest of the other junk - now I got the clock, GARMIN NAV maps and a whole lot better sound -

My only regret is that I only wish I would of done it sooner-

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-08-2019, 01:35 AM
camaro721
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing you can do to get the clock to work again. GM is aware of the problem, and they are working on a fix. The problem #PIT562E . You can have your Service Manager print out Document ID 5355382 if you want to read about the problem.

LF 06/07/2019
Old 06-08-2019, 08:28 AM
vintagegas
Racer

Originally Posted by Old Ben
I agree. In addition to the people complaining on the various forums there must be many times that that are not on a forum. They may be even more upset if they took their car to the dealer and paid ~$100 to find out there was no fix.
I agree with you. There are those who have taken their cars to the dealer, paid a diagnostic fee and found out there was no fix currently available. THAT DOES NOT SAY TOO MUCH FOR THE DEALER. Chevy dealers know there is no fix. They all received the service bulletin from GM that states "tell your customers we are working on a fix". SOME of these dealers are only interested in getting your money, knowing full well there is nothing they can do to fix it. Fortunately for us who read the "Forum" we are aware of the problem and can save the diagnostic fee. What about other Corvette owners who are not Forum members? They are at the mercy of their dealership, their wallets are lighter for the "fee" and they STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS!
Old 06-09-2019, 12:21 AM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

For what its worth my aftermarket PIONEER Head unit lost the GPS clock at the rollover event. I had my battery disconnected while on vacation. I had it repaired by Pioneer under warranty. So I have GPS Nav a clock and all the other goodies the factory brick doesn’t have. My point is other GPS units have been affected as well.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:20 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffs64
For what its worth my aftermarket PIONEER Head unit lost the GPS clock at the rollover event. I had my battery disconnected while on vacation. I had it repaired by Pioneer under warranty. So I have GPS Nav a clock and all the other goodies the factory brick doesn’t have. My point is other GPS units have been affected as well.
But the point is your GPS and CLOCK were repaired or fixed whereas GM and Mercedes and Acura etc. are not taking care of the issue or can't fix it -

I too now have an aftermarket set-up and am happy that I finally went with it -

Thanks,Matt
tommyc6z06 (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 08:46 AM
06Rawpower
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by robertfa
I've noticed that some of you have lost their clock as recently as April/early May after a battery disconnect (but clock was OK previously). I have the impression that there are many, if not all, '05 thru '10 cars with this Nav head that are displaying a functioning clock at this time.

In fact, I would like to ask if there is anyone who has lost their clock that had not disconnected their battery.

If these Nav units will continue to display a good clock if there has been no battery disconnect since last December, then it should be possible to reset (or preset) the unit to its state before battery disconnect. I believe that a condition was latched when the battery was re-connected because the firmware couldn't resolve the correct time probably due to firmware not being able to interpret time around and after last December where the clock would have kept running after December if the battery was never disconnected. This is only my theory and one would have to have full details on this Nav unit to try to reset the right stored memory. BUT, if all of these units are still displaying good time (where no battery disconnect has happened), It should be possible. Probably would require removing unit and opening it up but that's cheaper than buying another unit.
I’ve owned my 06 Z51 for 3 years now and never disconnected the battery and the Nav clock disappeared last month, May 2019.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:25 AM
scummins06
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My clock started working again back in April and was still working last week when took for a drive. 2010 Grand Sport Vert
Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

I placed my factory Nav back in while my head unit was repaired. My factory Nav lost GPS time as well. My aftermarket Pioneer AVIC8201NEX is or was supposed to be GPS Rollover compliant ICD-200. I was told this is not a common problem by their tech support. But my unit was repaired with no parts just a software patch. It had a one year warranty so it was repaired at no charge. GM should do the same !!
Old 06-09-2019, 03:45 PM
robertfa
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Rawpower
I’ve owned my 06 Z51 for 3 years now and never disconnected the battery and the Nav clock disappeared last month, May 2019.
Hmmm, interesting. The number of victims of this could be growing exponentially.

I don't expect GM to offer a fix for this at no cost but I think, if I was running things, I would be offering a fix (like a firmware upgrade on a disk if possible) for a reasonable price - this would be very good PR.

Less than $100? I know, I'm dreaming.
06Rawpower (06-10-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 03:54 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by robertfa
Hmmm, interesting. The number of victims of this could be growing exponentially.

I don't expect GM to offer a fix for this at no cost but I think, if I was running things, I would be offering a fix (like a firmware upgrade on a disk if possible) for a reasonable price - this would be very good PR.

Less than $100? I know, I'm dreaming.
All they would have to do is make a disc image file available for download and people could burn a disc themselves and pop it into the CD slot and it would be fixed. Would cost GM next to nothing.
The following 3 users liked this post by RJRSW:
06Rawpower (06-10-2019), tshirtmeister (06-10-2019), vintagegas (06-10-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 04:38 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RJRSW
All they would have to do is make a disc image file available for download and people could burn a disc themselves and pop it into the CD slot and it would be fixed. Would cost GM next to nothing.
I would think the info is proprietary and it would have to come from Nippon Denso. Perhaps that's where the blame lies.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:52 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I would think the info is proprietary and it would have to come from Nippon Denso. Perhaps that's where the blame lies.
They have already done it once for the nav units after the first 2005 cane out to fix a tuner problem and to add the mp3 capability, They just issued a cd that updated the firmware by just inserting the cd in the upper slot and the update installed auto manically.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:21 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Except when new you purchase the car from Chevrolet (GM) not ND so the fix would have to come thru Chevrolet (GM) and they would need to get it from "Denso"
Old 06-10-2019, 08:53 AM
vintagegas
Racer

Originally Posted by RJRSW
Excellent Idea.

Maybe you should enlighten the geniuses at GM & Nippon Denso that this FIX could be accomplished for a minimal amount of money. I think your idea is the way to go.
tshirtmeister (06-10-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 AM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

WTH are dealers gonna do with Trade-Ins? Uhm well were sorry this Chevy POC's clock doesn't work so well have to lower you trade a few thousand dollars. All the while we will need a good stock of those $5.99 clocks at Pep Boys. They can keep the C8 crap they're peddling now!
vintagegas (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 11:02 AM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

What is Chevy gonna do with trades? Change out the radio? No directions in the HUD, No music info in the HUD. Uhm were sorry sir but your clock doesn't work. that will devalue your trade $3500! Thats what it will cost to replace your defective Nav. Head! Customers looking at Used 2010 Corvette with clock Velcroed to dash. Whats this? Salesman(2021): Chevy will have a fix soon, maybe. Can you put that in writing? Uhm let me ask the manager. Oops cant find him, take it or leave it. Can I interest you in our latest C8 mid engine junk that cant be tuned or modified? No WTH you don't like the fact we sell defective junk? Cheers!

Last edited by tshirtmeister; 06-10-2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling
vintagegas (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:01 PM
vintagegas
Racer

Originally Posted by tshirtmeister
What is Chevy gonna do with trades? Change out the radio? No directions in the HUD, No music info in the HUD. Uhm were sorry sir but your clock doesn't work. that will devalue your trade $3500! Thats what it will cost to replace your defective Nav. Head! Customers looking at Used 2010 Corvette with clock Velcroed to dash. Whats this? Salesman(2021): Chevy will have a fix soon, maybe. Can you put that in writing? Uhm let me ask the manager. Oops cant find him, take it or leave it. Can I interest you in our latest C8 mid engine junk that cant be tuned or modified? No WTH you don't like the fact we sell defective junk? Cheers!
Sounds like a scenario that will be happening in the very near future.

This might be a better scenario...Salesman, "I see you have the C6 Nav no clock problem that we totally screwed up. In reparation for your grief will increase your trade in by $2,000 towards the purchase of ANY CHEVY PRODUCT."

Fat chance of that dream happening.

Don't you just love a corporation that had to be bailed out by the gov't (WITH OUR TAXPAYER MONEY) that STILL can't get it right. TERRIBLE management if ever I saw it. To save face, like the Japanese mfgs. (Honda fixed the problem in a few days and a fellow forum member told how Panasonic fixed his Nav) GM Mgmt. should do the same. HELL, MAYBE THE NEW SUPRA IS A CAR TO RECONSIDER.

If you owned a company and treated your customers with such disdain, do you think you would keep them as customers? No matter how old the car is, the problem is not a broken NAV/CLOCK it is a damn software fix. Heh GM get off your *** and fix it or I want my bailout money back!

Quick Reply: "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect