Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Notices
C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

 
Old 06-11-2019, 08:54 AM
  #921  
Susan Jacobini
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Any updates on this issue? I have a 2005 vet, changed battery a week ago, no
clock no gps. Update 3 1/2 hours at dealer to find out what I already knew, the nav radio not communicating, so cannot pick up satellite. The dealer says no fix from gm, but they will put in a new nav radio for $2050.00!!
Well I will contact gm again and send them the findings....

Last edited by Susan Jacobini; 06-11-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Add more info
Susan Jacobini is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 AM
  #922  
Nypd4861
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Rocky Point NY
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I changed battery in my 2007 and have no clock or gps. I also installed a pal adapter for Bluetooth.
Nypd4861 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:42 AM
  #923  
vintagegas
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Posts: 68
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Susan Jacobini View Post
Any updates on this issue? I have a 2005 vet, changed battery a week ago, no
clock no gps. Update 3 1/2 hours at dealer to find out what I already knew, the nav radio not communicating, so cannot pick up satellite. The dealer says no fix from gm, but they will put in a new nav radio for $2050.00!!
Well I will contact gm again and send them the findings....
Do yourself and your wallet a favor...buy a Garmin Nav, plug it into your cigarette lighter and buy a velcro stick on clock from Pep Boys and save $2,000. You'll curse yourself for not waiting to see if GM ever fixes the problem or, I have read, some forum members remarking that their system came back on by themselves.

Last edited by vintagegas; 06-12-2019 at 08:44 AM.
vintagegas is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:17 AM
  #924  
dreamvette05
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Fix Yet

Just checked with dealer and found bulletin #PIT5652E concerning no clock after battery disconnect. Per bulletin " Engineering and supplier are currently investigating this issue on those vehicles and radios. Please apologize to the customer and advise that engineering is investigating the concern". Dated June 4th 2019. Looks like they are working on it,
dreamvette05 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by dreamvette05:
06Rawpower (06-13-2019), tommyc6z06 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM
  #925  
tshirtmeister
CF Senior Member
 
tshirtmeister's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Posts: 228
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dreamvette05 View Post
Just checked with dealer and found bulletin #PIT5652E concerning no clock after battery disconnect. Per bulletin " Engineering and supplier are currently investigating this issue on those vehicles and radios. Please apologize to the customer and advise that engineering is investigating the concern". Dated June 4th 2019. Looks like they are working on it,
I'm Waiting!
tshirtmeister is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:27 PM
  #926  
MikeBravo56
CF Member
 
MikeBravo56's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Location: Treasure Island Florida
Posts: 94
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14
Default

My clock came back on today after 6 months. Happened about 2pm.
MikeBravo56 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
06Rawpower (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM
  #927  
FatsWaller
CF Senior Member
 
FatsWaller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Etobicoke Ontario
Posts: 538
Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vintagegas View Post
Do yourself and your wallet a favor...buy a Garmin Nav, plug it into your cigarette lighter and buy a velcro stick on clock from Pep Boys and save $2,000. You'll curse yourself for not waiting to see if GM ever fixes the problem or, I have read, some forum members remarking that their system came back on by themselves.
Don't know if all Garmins have the same display options, but on mine, you can select a number of 'dashboards'. Several of the dashboards have the current time displayed. Haven't found a dashboard with the date, but most of us probably know what day it is, even me, mostly. So, if you want one less stick on item in your cabin, you can try that out. And save $6 or so. FWIW, I don't have any irons in this fire, because I haven't been affected by the problem. It's just technically interesting to me. Also, I personally don't like the NAV system functionality whatsoever - can't get updates past 2016, looks like 1980's display technology, but the date and time are useful features. And, I don' like looking down when I'm driving because it takes some of my attention away from the road. I mount the Garmin low on the windshield and that works just fine for me. Just my .02.
FatsWaller is offline  
The following users liked this post:
vintagegas (06-16-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 AM
  #928  
compyelc4
CF Member
 
compyelc4's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Posts: 54
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MikeBravo56 View Post
My clock came back on today after 6 months. Happened about 2pm.
Was it on your base 2007 C6?
compyelc4 is offline  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:50 AM
  #929  
06Rawpower
CF Senior Member
 
06Rawpower's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Location: Upnorth Michigan
Posts: 125
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MikeBravo56 View Post
My clock came back on today after 6 months. Happened about 2pm.
What where you doing and where did it happen at the time?
06Rawpower is offline  
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM
  #930  
06Rawpower
CF Senior Member
 
06Rawpower's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2016
Location: Upnorth Michigan
Posts: 125
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FatsWaller View Post
Don't know if all Garmins have the same display options, but on mine, you can select a number of 'dashboards'. Several of the dashboards have the current time displayed. Haven't found a dashboard with the date, but most of us probably know what day it is, even me, mostly. So, if you want one less stick on item in your cabin, you can try that out. And save $6 or so. FWIW, I don't have any irons in this fire, because I haven't been affected by the problem. It's just technically interesting to me. Also, I personally don't like the NAV system functionality whatsoever - can't get updates past 2016, looks like 1980's display technology, but the date and time are useful features. And, I don' like looking down when I'm driving because it takes some of my attention away from the road. I mount the Garmin low on the windshield and that works just fine for me. Just my .02.
The only thing that I have negative about the Corvette Nav system is the cumbersome programming. Otherwise I turn on the voice option and occasionally glance at my HUD for what’s coming up. No need to look down at the Nav in the dash. And if I do have a need to glance down I do it when I’m stopped. For my Chevy Trailblazer that doesn’t have an in dash Nav, I use my iPhone X google map with voice on, especially while navigating in large cities that I’m unfamiliar with. Voice directions is king for me. Why pay for a Garmin gps these days with smartphone technology? You can mount your smartphone anywhere you want including your dash. I mount mine into the dash vent in front of me, left/right of steering column. My phone also displays date and time. I can also give voice commands to Siri to ask anything whether it’s to read an incoming text, dictate a text, answer incoming calls, find nearest gas station, motels, a place to eat etc...

Last edited by 06Rawpower; 06-13-2019 at 08:13 AM.
06Rawpower is offline  
Old 06-14-2019, 06:35 PM
  #931  
Silent Thunder
CF Member
 
Silent Thunder's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2012
Posts: 53
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mine Too!

I have an 05 of course no clock. Hope there is a fix at some point.
Silent Thunder is offline  
Old 06-15-2019, 09:23 AM
  #932  
Kenny94945
CF Senior Member
 
Kenny94945's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Sausalito CA
Posts: 4,700
Received 211 Likes on 188 Posts
Default

Hey GM,

If you are reading this thread there are nearly 250K views in it.

GM, are you still working on a fix or ….. ?
What about joining up with the other affected manufacturers?
Put some pressure on Denso?
Kenny94945 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Kenny94945:
c1j1c2 (06-18-2019), tshirtmeister (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 07:43 PM
  #933  
robertfa
Junior Member
 
robertfa's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2009
Location: Northridge, CA 91326
Posts: 31
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I had clock envy

For a while I noticed others were getting their clock back but not me.
Well, today my clock came back at about noon-time driving out and glanced down from my $6 O'Relly's stick-on clock and there it was, the real Nav radio clock.

For those who might care, on the time setting page, the "GPS" time was erroneous (at least the 'minutes'). I could easily set the time to the correct local time and it stayed and came back after a couple of shut-downs and start-ups. If I pressed the 'GPS' button, the display jumped back to the same erroneous GPS time.

And, what a surprise, the date was December 31, 2000 - look familiar? (all you guys that got your clock back).

I went to the diagnostics (post#610), the GPS display and the latitude and longitude were actively displaying what appeared to be correct and 'GMT' was active but erroneous. It seems that the clock is just free running which it should have been programmed to do that in the first place (digital clock no-brainer) so we would hardly have a problem. Now I need to do some electrical work and I probably will need to disconnect the battery - will the clock die again?

Last edited by robertfa; 06-15-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling and format
robertfa is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by robertfa:
06Rawpower (Yesterday), JParks007 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:11 AM
  #934  
vintagegas
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Posts: 68
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by robertfa View Post
For a while I noticed others were getting their clock back but not me.
Well, today my clock came back at about noon-time driving out and glanced down from my $6 O'Relly's stick-on clock and there it was, the real Nav radio clock.

For those who might care, on the time setting page, the "GPS" time was erroneous (at least the 'minutes'). I could easily set the time to the correct local time and it stayed and came back after a couple of shut-downs and start-ups. If I pressed the 'GPS' button, the display jumped back to the same erroneous GPS time.

And, what a surprise, the date was December 31, 2000 - look familiar? (all you guys that got your clock back).

I went to the diagnostics (post#610), the GPS display and the latitude and longitude were actively displaying what appeared to be correct and 'GMT' was active but erroneous. It seems that the clock is just free running which it should have been programmed to do that in the first place (digital clock no-brainer) so we would hardly have a problem. Now I need to do some electrical work and I probably will need to disconnect the battery - will the clock die again?
Glade to hear you got your clock back.

Hope you will continue to have it. I would not throw away the stick on just yet.
vintagegas is offline  
Old 06-16-2019, 10:50 AM
  #935  
JJ2007
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Your clock just came back up? My 2007 clock is still Kaput. Is your clock and nav still working?
JJ2007 is offline  
Old 06-16-2019, 11:00 AM
  #936  
JJ2007
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Stick on clock and a Garmin on the dash? Maybe I can use a paint brush to repaint the car too. And maybe cut it up to be a pick-up like in Beverly Hillbillies. I will never buy another Vette, and maybe not another GM product, if they continue to let us wallow in the dirt like this. There was a tacit contract between GM and anyone who paid them for a navigation system: They would provide signal for as long as the car was on the road. If they were not ready to support the new technology, they should never have sold it. Toyota is building really nice cars these days. I haven't heard any horror stories about them abandoning their loyal customers.
JJ2007 is offline  
Old 06-16-2019, 11:17 PM
  #937  
jblack41510
CF Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: California
Posts: 79
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by robertfa View Post
For a while I noticed others were getting their clock back but not me.
Well, today my clock came back at about noon-time driving out and glanced down from my $6 O'Relly's stick-on clock and there it was, the real Nav radio clock.

For those who might care, on the time setting page, the "GPS" time was erroneous (at least the 'minutes'). I could easily set the time to the correct local time and it stayed and came back after a couple of shut-downs and start-ups. If I pressed the 'GPS' button, the display jumped back to the same erroneous GPS time.

And, what a surprise, the date was December 31, 2000 - look familiar? (all you guys that got your clock back).

I went to the diagnostics (post#610), the GPS display and the latitude and longitude were actively displaying what appeared to be correct and 'GMT' was active but erroneous. It seems that the clock is just free running which it should have been programmed to do that in the first place (digital clock no-brainer) so we would hardly have a problem. Now I need to do some electrical work and I probably will need to disconnect the battery - will the clock die again?
Yes, if you disconnect the battery the time goes away again. I'm still waiting for my time to come back again. This is my second time.
jblack41510 is offline  
Old 06-17-2019, 09:20 AM
  #938  
vintagegas
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Posts: 68
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vintagegas View Post
Glade to hear you got your clock back.

Hope you will continue to have it. I would not throw away the stick on just yet.
If you need to do additional electrical work to your car, maybe you can connect a battery tender to the battery cables before you disconnect the battery. Hopefully this might solve the problem of losing your clock again.
vintagegas is offline  
Old 06-17-2019, 11:28 AM
  #939  
tshirtmeister
CF Senior Member
 
tshirtmeister's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Posts: 228
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vintagegas View Post
If you need to do additional electrical work to your car, maybe you can connect a battery tender to the battery cables before you disconnect the battery. Hopefully this might solve the problem of losing your clock again.
Wont work! Battery tenders will not turn on if the are not connected to a battery.
tshirtmeister is offline  
Old 06-17-2019, 11:29 AM
  #940  
tshirtmeister
CF Senior Member
 
tshirtmeister's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Posts: 228
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

WTH GM its only been 7 months. Are your engineers that busy fixing the C8 garbage you won't take care of Vette loyalists?
tshirtmeister is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: