C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:54 AM
Susan Jacobini
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on this issue? I have a 2005 vet, changed battery a week ago, no
clock no gps. Update 3 1/2 hours at dealer to find out what I already knew, the nav radio not communicating, so cannot pick up satellite. The dealer says no fix from gm, but they will put in a new nav radio for $2050.00!!
Well I will contact gm again and send them the findings....

Last edited by Susan Jacobini; 06-11-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Nypd4861
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed battery in my 2007 and have no clock or gps. I also installed a pal adapter for Bluetooth.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:42 AM
vintagegas
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Susan Jacobini
Any updates on this issue? I have a 2005 vet, changed battery a week ago, no
clock no gps. Update 3 1/2 hours at dealer to find out what I already knew, the nav radio not communicating, so cannot pick up satellite. The dealer says no fix from gm, but they will put in a new nav radio for $2050.00!!
Well I will contact gm again and send them the findings....
Do yourself and your wallet a favor...buy a Garmin Nav, plug it into your cigarette lighter and buy a velcro stick on clock from Pep Boys and save $2,000. You'll curse yourself for not waiting to see if GM ever fixes the problem or, I have read, some forum members remarking that their system came back on by themselves.

Last edited by vintagegas; 06-12-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:17 AM
dreamvette05
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Fix Yet

Just checked with dealer and found bulletin #PIT5652E concerning no clock after battery disconnect. Per bulletin " Engineering and supplier are currently investigating this issue on those vehicles and radios. Please apologize to the customer and advise that engineering is investigating the concern". Dated June 4th 2019. Looks like they are working on it,
The following 2 users liked this post by dreamvette05:
06Rawpower (06-13-2019), tommyc6z06 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM
tshirtmeister
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamvette05
Just checked with dealer and found bulletin #PIT5652E concerning no clock after battery disconnect. Per bulletin " Engineering and supplier are currently investigating this issue on those vehicles and radios. Please apologize to the customer and advise that engineering is investigating the concern". Dated June 4th 2019. Looks like they are working on it,
I'm Waiting!
The following users liked this post:
frankz06_cf (10-10-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:27 PM
MikeBravo56
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

My clock came back on today after 6 months. Happened about 2pm.
06Rawpower (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by vintagegas
Do yourself and your wallet a favor...buy a Garmin Nav, plug it into your cigarette lighter and buy a velcro stick on clock from Pep Boys and save $2,000. You'll curse yourself for not waiting to see if GM ever fixes the problem or, I have read, some forum members remarking that their system came back on by themselves.
Don't know if all Garmins have the same display options, but on mine, you can select a number of 'dashboards'. Several of the dashboards have the current time displayed. Haven't found a dashboard with the date, but most of us probably know what day it is, even me, mostly. So, if you want one less stick on item in your cabin, you can try that out. And save $6 or so. FWIW, I don't have any irons in this fire, because I haven't been affected by the problem. It's just technically interesting to me. Also, I personally don't like the NAV system functionality whatsoever - can't get updates past 2016, looks like 1980's display technology, but the date and time are useful features. And, I don' like looking down when I'm driving because it takes some of my attention away from the road. I mount the Garmin low on the windshield and that works just fine for me. Just my .02.
vintagegas (06-16-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 AM
compyelc4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBravo56
Was it on your base 2007 C6?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:50 AM
06Rawpower
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBravo56
What where you doing and where did it happen at the time?
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM
06Rawpower
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Don't know if all Garmins have the same display options, but on mine, you can select a number of 'dashboards'. Several of the dashboards have the current time displayed. Haven't found a dashboard with the date, but most of us probably know what day it is, even me, mostly. So, if you want one less stick on item in your cabin, you can try that out. And save $6 or so. FWIW, I don't have any irons in this fire, because I haven't been affected by the problem. It's just technically interesting to me. Also, I personally don't like the NAV system functionality whatsoever - can't get updates past 2016, looks like 1980's display technology, but the date and time are useful features. And, I don' like looking down when I'm driving because it takes some of my attention away from the road. I mount the Garmin low on the windshield and that works just fine for me. Just my .02.
The only thing that I have negative about the Corvette Nav system is the cumbersome programming. Otherwise I turn on the voice option and occasionally glance at my HUD for what’s coming up. No need to look down at the Nav in the dash. And if I do have a need to glance down I do it when I’m stopped. For my Chevy Trailblazer that doesn’t have an in dash Nav, I use my iPhone X google map with voice on, especially while navigating in large cities that I’m unfamiliar with. Voice directions is king for me. Why pay for a Garmin gps these days with smartphone technology? You can mount your smartphone anywhere you want including your dash. I mount mine into the dash vent in front of me, left/right of steering column. My phone also displays date and time. I can also give voice commands to Siri to ask anything whether it’s to read an incoming text, dictate a text, answer incoming calls, find nearest gas station, motels, a place to eat etc...

Last edited by 06Rawpower; 06-13-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:35 PM
Silent Thunder
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mine Too!

I have an 05 of course no clock. Hope there is a fix at some point.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:23 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Hey GM,

If you are reading this thread there are nearly 250K views in it.

GM, are you still working on a fix or ….. ?
What about joining up with the other affected manufacturers?
Put some pressure on Denso?
The following 2 users liked this post by Kenny94945:
c1j1c2 (06-18-2019), tshirtmeister (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 07:43 PM
robertfa
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I had clock envy

For a while I noticed others were getting their clock back but not me.
Well, today my clock came back at about noon-time driving out and glanced down from my $6 O'Relly's stick-on clock and there it was, the real Nav radio clock.

For those who might care, on the time setting page, the "GPS" time was erroneous (at least the 'minutes'). I could easily set the time to the correct local time and it stayed and came back after a couple of shut-downs and start-ups. If I pressed the 'GPS' button, the display jumped back to the same erroneous GPS time.

And, what a surprise, the date was December 31, 2000 - look familiar? (all you guys that got your clock back).

I went to the diagnostics (post#610), the GPS display and the latitude and longitude were actively displaying what appeared to be correct and 'GMT' was active but erroneous. It seems that the clock is just free running which it should have been programmed to do that in the first place (digital clock no-brainer) so we would hardly have a problem. Now I need to do some electrical work and I probably will need to disconnect the battery - will the clock die again?

Last edited by robertfa; 06-15-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling and format
The following 2 users liked this post by robertfa:
06Rawpower (06-19-2019), JParks007 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:11 AM
vintagegas
Racer

Originally Posted by robertfa
Well, today my clock came back at about noon-time driving out and glanced down from my $6 O'Relly's stick-on clock and there it was, the real Nav radio clock.

For those who might care, on the time setting page, the "GPS" time was erroneous (at least the 'minutes'). I could easily set the time to the correct local time and it stayed and came back after a couple of shut-downs and start-ups. If I pressed the 'GPS' button, the display jumped back to the same erroneous GPS time.

And, what a surprise, the date was December 31, 2000 - look familiar? (all you guys that got your clock back).

I went to the diagnostics (post#610), the GPS display and the latitude and longitude were actively displaying what appeared to be correct and 'GMT' was active but erroneous. It seems that the clock is just free running which it should have been programmed to do that in the first place (digital clock no-brainer) so we would hardly have a problem. Now I need to do some electrical work and I probably will need to disconnect the battery - will the clock die again?
Glade to hear you got your clock back.

Hope you will continue to have it. I would not throw away the stick on just yet.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:50 AM
JJ2007
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your clock just came back up? My 2007 clock is still Kaput. Is your clock and nav still working?
Old 06-16-2019, 11:00 AM
JJ2007
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick on clock and a Garmin on the dash? Maybe I can use a paint brush to repaint the car too. And maybe cut it up to be a pick-up like in Beverly Hillbillies. I will never buy another Vette, and maybe not another GM product, if they continue to let us wallow in the dirt like this. There was a tacit contract between GM and anyone who paid them for a navigation system: They would provide signal for as long as the car was on the road. If they were not ready to support the new technology, they should never have sold it. Toyota is building really nice cars these days. I haven't heard any horror stories about them abandoning their loyal customers.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:17 PM
jblack41510
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertfa

Yes, if you disconnect the battery the time goes away again. I'm still waiting for my time to come back again. This is my second time.

Get notified of new replies

To "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Old 06-17-2019, 09:20 AM
vintagegas
Racer

Glade to hear you got your clock back.

Hope you will continue to have it. I would not throw away the stick on just yet.
If you need to do additional electrical work to your car, maybe you can connect a battery tender to the battery cables before you disconnect the battery. Hopefully this might solve the problem of losing your clock again.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:28 AM
tshirtmeister
Racer

If you need to do additional electrical work to your car, maybe you can connect a battery tender to the battery cables before you disconnect the battery. Hopefully this might solve the problem of losing your clock again.
Wont work! Battery tenders will not turn on if the are not connected to a battery.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:29 AM
tshirtmeister
Racer

WTH GM its only been 7 months. Are your engineers that busy fixing the C8 garbage you won't take care of Vette loyalists?

Quick Reply: "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect