C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 09:58 AM
vintagegas
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Just for the sake of accuracy, there is an array of satellites and they never stopped working.
The fix was implemented by a Denso engineer. Denso is the OEM of the NAV system.
The signal from the satellite array was not redirected.
The problem was caused by deficiencies in the NAV firmware which can be corrected by applying the patch designed by Denso.
Fatswaller is 100% correct!
Old 02-22-2021, 05:08 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,500 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Just for the sake of accuracy, there is an array of satellites and they never stopped working.
The fix was implemented by a Denso engineer. Denso is the OEM of the NAV system.
The signal from the satellite array was not redirected.
The problem was caused by deficiencies in the NAV firmware which can be corrected by applying the patch designed by Denso.
I agree with the above that the fix uploads new firmware that corrects the clock time problem, however due to hardware limitations, the firmware is very compact and the problem will reoccur some time around 2039.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:39 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Well, after 2 dances with the Big C, I can only hope to be around and see. My bet is that the electronics in the car won't last that long in any case. Something critical will crap out and there'll be no replacement.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:55 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Well, after 2 dances with the Big C, I can only hope to be around and see. My bet is that the electronics in the car won't last that long in any case. Something critical will crap out and there'll be no replacement.
Congrats on beating Cancer twice!! I've had one dance with it and am still here.

I doubt that we need to worry about the next clock malfunction.

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 02-25-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 05:01 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

I fixed my clock issue with the firmware update. Everything was fine for about 2 years.

I just bought a new battery and installed it. Guess what? No clock on the NAV. I was thinking that I would have to redo the firmware patch, but the clock came back after about 5 minuites.

Just for information

Tom
Old 08-10-2023, 11:12 AM
YLOC6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCW
I fixed my clock issue with the firmware update. Everything was fine for about 2 years.

I just bought a new battery and installed it. Guess what? No clock on the NAV. I was thinking that I would have to redo the firmware patch, but the clock came back after about 5 minuites.

Just for information

Tom
Dude you got my pulse up!

Just recently deleted that firmware!
Old 08-10-2023, 03:17 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW

Just for information

Tom
My take on this is that the NAV system is picking up the time from the GPS satellite array and it could reasonably take 5 or more minutes to sync with the GPS signal following complete power off of your unit. There’s no coin battery in the NAV system to keep an internal clock running, so what you saw was pretty much expected.

Last edited by FatsWaller; 08-10-2023 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-11-2023, 08:57 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Glad To Know This, It is getting to be about the time to replace the battery again, it is coming up on 5 Years. The last time I did it was in 2018, which is when I lost the clock in the NAV.
Old 08-15-2023, 04:24 PM
NORDIC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettezman
I am wondering if someone who has recently disconnected the battery and did not lose the clock would chime in. Is it possible that the problem lies on what GPS satellite or signal the radios are programmed to look for? And it may have recently been deleted?
I was just working on a low voltage reading at the DIC. Checked starter, ground etc. Reconnected battery and noticed no clock. Could not enter anything on screen because clock screen was blank. Turned off engine for a couple of minutes and restarted and clock was working. All this while in garage. GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: "C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect