C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new cray Brickyard 19 and 20 in wheels will not fit.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 10:44 AM
speedz06
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Default My new cray Brickyard 19 and 20 in wheels will not fit.

I'm all ready for a cross-country trip in winter with Michelin Alpin tires and brand new cray Brickyard wheels in 19x10 and 20x12.
The man who sold them to me (an excellent guy Keith, at First Rate Corvette Parts in Florida, who I highly recommend) thinks they should fit and I believe him. This is what I ordered from him and he did not promise me that this combination would fit it's just that I already had these tires brand new on my Cray Hawk wheels at the same sizes, that fit ok with occasional rubbing over large dips.
I totally hated the cray hawks because they're heavy, so difficult to clean, actually pretty easily bent when I hit potholes, required special valve stems and difficult to install the TPMS sensors with a fiasco of trying to get tpms to work for 2 years.
So now...
I got a great deal on these cray Brickyard Wheels shipped for 950.00 which are recently discontinued and pretty happy with the way they look they are lighter and supposedly stronger as well as you can use the stock TPMS sensors in their stock locations.

I put the wheels on and I was so happy that I finally got this combination set up so I can go on a winter trip to visit mom in Florida traveling from the Northeast.

What happened.
First thing I noticed is that one of the wheels sticks out on the left more than the right. I also noticed that the wheel was rubbing sometimes and I would smell burnt rubber as the tire would smoke hitting the fender lip.
The right side tire seemed to be okay until my wife (a petite woman) got in the car with our suitcases and then both wheels were too tight in the Wheelwells.
I wonder if something happened to my suspension but the car seems to ride fine.

I got about three miles from the house and had to turn back at a crawl. Boy...another one of those massive disappointments of automotive and motorcycle modification that plague me for decades.

So, I'm wondering if the car is lowered and if so I would raise it back just because I drive in Manhattan allot anyway but also I wonder if this will solve my issue or assuming that if the offsets between the two types of wheels are the same (not sure) since cray supposedly specializes in corvette wheels.
I would gladly run the OEM size wheel is however it seems impossible to find winter tires for the stock size wheels. It is difficult to get real help since some people who really know a lot about wheels and tires because in their opinion people should not drive Corvettes in the winter so I think they refuse to help just based upon that opinion and instantly dismiss anything to do with driving a vette in Winter, but screw them.

The reason I'm using these size wheels is because this is the only size winter tire I can find (which I believe were developed for the Porsche Cayenne Turbo) and I'm not crazy about the low profile but that is what I am stuck with now.
If anyone who has suspension, Wheel and Tire experience can give a hand, assuming I don't know crap (but do have advanced ability once I know what to do) would be so much appreciated.

I see that people use "drag packs" with high profile tires and smaller wheels...so why cant I just get a wheel combo like these and increase my chances of finding Winter rubber that fits the drag packs?
The best thing would be if I can use what I have and not lose the expensive investment in wheels and tires.

I also know that this subject has been visited before but I don't think there's really been any solution or at least nothing of a go to.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:56 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

All it may take to correct your issue is raising car on the factory jack bolts.You won't know till you try it
The following users liked this post:
speedz06 (01-25-2019)
Old 12-26-2018, 10:58 AM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Sometimes with aftermarket wheels it's hit or miss. I know you're stuck with these wheels now, but I would have gone with the Cup wheels in the same sizes since those wouldn't have had any fitment issues.

Last edited by MYCoupe; 12-26-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 PM
Matt Slay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have these same EXACT rims on my 2010 GS, and I do not have any rubbing problems at all. I can get some measurements off my car if you can think of anything that will help you troubleshoot your situation.

speedz06 (01-15-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 09:17 PM
Daddy Freeman
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
All it may take to correct your issue is raising car on the factory jack bolts.You won't know till you try it
I have a feeling that will do the trick. Very simple to do. I bought a set of 28" M & H Drag Radials and had to raise mine up. Took a total of five minutes.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:22 AM
Matt Slay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took photos of my 2010 GS with these same rims to show the measurements. First photo is rear, second photo is front:

Rear: 4-1/4" from edge of rim to inside rim of fender

Front: 3-3/4" from edge of rim to inside rim of fender

Measurements were take at top-dead-center of rim (i.e. 12:00 position, directly above center mount point).

Rear, 2010 GS, Cray Brickyard 20" X 12" rims

Rear, 2010 GS, Cray Brickyard 20" X 12" rims

Front, 2010 GS, Cray Brickyard 19" X 10" rims

Front, 2010 GS, Cray Brickyard 19" X 10" rims

Last edited by Matt Slay; 12-29-2018 at 08:26 AM.
speedz06 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:47 AM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 254 Posts

I know it doesn't help solve the issue but the reason you have a problem is that these wheels only have a 41MM offset compared to the OEM 59MM for a 12" wheel width. That means that these wheels will stick out about 3/4" more than a stock set of wheels so that's why you are having an issue. They should have never sold you this wheel without telling you that you would need a wide body fender in the back that extends the width of the Z06 fenders even more.
speedz06 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 PM
92mr2turbo
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same measurements on a 13'GS with the same wheels 19/20 setup with Continental tires. I have my bolts turned as far as they will go front and rear without cutting any bushings. I have a street alignment with no rubbing. These wheels were designed with more of a flush/aggressive fitment with the +37 front and +41 rear offsets. They don't really poke out, but definitely do not sit inside the fender the same way the stocks do. I'm also running a 285/30 up front and a 335/25 out back with no issues.
speedz06 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matt Slay
I have these same EXACT rims on my 2010 GS, and I do not have any rubbing problems at all. I can get some measurements off my car if you can think of anything that will help you troubleshoot your situation.

Back from vacation..wow, now I'm convinced my car is lowered I'm going to get under it this weekend. I'll talk to the vette specialty shop that did my clutch maybe they can shed some light. Nice car btw!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:20 PM
speedz06
Drifting

That is an amazing difference from my car! This is encouraging though that the wheels should fit. Thanks for sending such a detailed reply
Old 01-15-2019, 09:21 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Originally Posted by JMB
I know it doesn't help solve the issue but the reason you have a problem is that these wheels only have a 41MM offset compared to the OEM 59MM for a 12" wheel width. That means that these wheels will stick out about 3/4" more than a stock set of wheels so that's why you are having an issue. They should have never sold you this wheel without telling you that you would need a wide body fender in the back that extends the width of the Z06 fenders even more.
Yes I have a Z06 so these should fit. I do agree that I'm dont like the wheels sticking out though there is no reason for it. Thanks

Last edited by speedz06; 01-15-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:24 PM
speedz06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Daddy Freeman
I have a feeling that will do the trick. Very simple to do. I bought a set of 28" M & H Drag Radials and had to raise mine up. Took a total of five minutes.
Yep this will be the first thing I try. I dont know why the rear seems off though too.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:01 AM
speedz06
Drifting

Well, looked under the car today after watching a vid comparing lowering bolts to the oem so I figured I could tell if car was lowered. the bolts themselves aren't bad but the rubber part looks all chewed up.
From the one bolt I checked it looks like the previous guy hacked it up but I still need to check the others.
also, with allot of thread sticking out is this an indicator that the bolts were turned? (I need to check the factory books and learn the proper terms) Sorry the pics were difficult and it is like 10 degrees outside and didnt have time to clean them off. Also should there be space like that beneath the spring and the integral black plastic spacer when the car is jacked up? Doesn't look great IMO.

Last edited by speedz06; 01-23-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:45 PM
GeoZ06PR
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheels looks amazing

Get notified of new replies

To My new cray Brickyard 19 and 20 in wheels will not fit.

Quick Reply: My new cray Brickyard 19 and 20 in wheels will not fit.