C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR6 plugs Vs stock C6 ZO6 plugs questions please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 05:06 PM
bada
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Finally! someone else who knows about ignition. I've grown tired of explaining copper plugs are junk and there is no reason to switch from a good iridium. Iridium are superior in every way and the stock DENSO units are high quality stuff. If a colder heat range is needed go to a LS7/LS9/LSA plug. I've worked the last 10 years in plug development and application work for GM small blocks, OEM parts are the way to go.

To the OP, there should be no reason why switching back to stock plugs would make the car run poorly. Unless air gap is wayyyyy out of check.
What should the the gap be? I can go check it. The plugs are on my work bench. I set the TR6s at 35.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I set my TR6s at .035"
Old 01-17-2019, 05:27 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Unless you're on the ragged edge, anything between .030 and .045 will work just fine. Seems like every plug I've checked on an LS motor has been between .035 and .040. That includes stock a/c delco and NGK stuff.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:04 PM
bada
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Unless you're on the ragged edge, anything between .030 and .045 will work just fine. Seems like every plug I've checked on an LS motor has been between .035 and .040. That includes stock a/c delco and NGK stuff.

Just checked the 41-104s. set at .036. I set the new TR6s at .035.

This is turning into a real mystery. I really am at a loss, as to why this happened. And believe me I am as puzzled, as anyone at this point. Come on guys. There are some real intelligent people on here. What was going on????????????
Old 01-17-2019, 07:39 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by bada

This is turning into a real mystery. I really am at a loss, as to why this happened. And believe me I am as puzzled, as anyone at this point. Come on guys. There are some real intelligent people on here. What was going on????????????
There's probably a simple explanation. Spark plugs are basically pretty simple. Similar heat range plugs ought to perform similarly....no matter how they're constructed. I'm convinced I had a bad TR6 or two right out of the package. Just figured that the quality control on a cheap plug just may not be what it should be compared to an OEM plug that is designed to last 100K miles.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:38 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

What should the the gap be? I can go check it. The plugs are on my work bench. I set the TR6s at 35.

Factory gap is 1.02mm or 0.40. The gap you have set should be just fine.

It's possible there something structurally wrong with one of the plugs or maybe they are fouled and it's not easily seen. Could have been dropped, void in the ceramic, production issue, etc.

Measure resistance between the center electrode and top terminal/t-post, should be in the 2-10kohm range or at least all similar values. If you have access to a high voltage megohmeter, insulation resistance can be measured between the terminal/t-post and threaded housing. Should be infinite.

If there is an ceramic void issue you'll never know without a SEM analysis so you'll just have to buy new ones. Good luck.

Quick Reply: TR6 plugs Vs stock C6 ZO6 plugs questions please.