C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR6 plugs Vs stock C6 ZO6 plugs questions please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:35 PM
bada
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default TR6 plugs Vs stock C6 ZO6 plugs questions please.

I have run NGK TR6s for several years now. With great results. Was changing exhaust gaskets, and cracked one of the TR6s. Local stores had to order the TR6s. So I put my factory plugs back in. Just to test drive and make sure. I had fixed the exhaust leak. Man My truck felt like a slug. Could the factory plugs be pulling timing? And killing my power. I have WCCH reworked for factory guide issues, and milled .015, plus BTR stage 3 cam, headers and tune. I will install the new TR6s tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced this problem before. Also I think THEY WERE GAPPED AT .035. Does that sound right. I did a search. And I got from .032 to .040 on the gap.

Last edited by bada; 01-09-2019 at 06:37 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-13-2019, 11:08 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

The TR6 is a colder plug than the stock plug. They should come pre gaped in that range. Sometimes you have to re gap if you are blowing out the plug.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:14 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,211 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by bada
I have run NGK TR6s for several years now. With great results. Was changing exhaust gaskets, and cracked one of the TR6s. Local stores had to order the TR6s. So I put my factory plugs back in. Just to test drive and make sure. I had fixed the exhaust leak. Man My truck felt like a slug. Could the factory plugs be pulling timing? And killing my power. I have WCCH reworked for factory guide issues, and milled .015, plus BTR stage 3 cam, headers and tune. I will install the new TR6s tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced this problem before. Also I think THEY WERE GAPPED AT .035. Does that sound right. I did a search. And I got from .032 to .040 on the gap.
If they were all firing nothing you would notice in your ***...imo...sort of like all those promises from k&N on drop in filters.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:30 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

TR6's are the same heat range as your stock LS7 plugs. Only difference is that the stock plug is a MUCH better plug.
The following users liked this post:
CI GS (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:46 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
TR6's are the same heat range as your stock LS7 plugs. Only difference is that the stock plug is a MUCH better plug.

Better, in every way. As in like the difference between radial and biased-ply tires...
Old 01-14-2019, 04:20 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

So Bada is running some mods and thus needs a colder plug. Please explain how the original plugs are better?
Old 01-14-2019, 04:34 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I used TR6s in my turbo Buick motor running race gas and 19 PSI boost .... Had good results with them, but they won't last anywhere near as long as the OEM ACDelco Iridium LS9 plugs.

I now have TR6s in my supercharged LS3, but I may replace them with the LS9 Iridium (41-104) plugs later on.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:46 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sfrank2886

So Bada is running some mods and thus needs a colder plug. Please explain how the original plugs are better?
The plugs that come stock in an LS7 are the same plugs that come stock in an LS9. They are a colder plug than what comes in an LS3. They are the same heat range as a TR6. TR6's are a cheap throw away plug. If you're changing plugs often, maybe they will have value for you. I'd rather use a better plug that I don't have to worry about watching closely. Pull them out after 75K miles and they still look perfect. I've had problems with TR6 plugs in the past. I won't use them under any circumstances.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

The factory Z06/ZR1 plugs are AC- Delco 41-104 Iridium plugs, which come factory gapped at .040". Most, if not all, Iridium plugs have a wider heat range than a conventional copper plug, reportedly due to the much smaller but stronger iridium electrode's ability to manage heat better. The 41-104 plugs are equivalent to a NGK - 6 heat range and are designed and warrantied by GM to last for 100,000 miles. They have been tested and proven, by many competent tuners, even on supercharged and nitrous applications and are a superior plug to the cheaper conventional NGK TR6 copper plug, which are decent plugs, but simply do not idle or last as long as the fine-wire Iridium plug. If you search on here, you will also see that some folks have experienced a "Service Active Handling" message from using TR-6 plugs in C6s as well. I've been through probably hundreds of TR6s over the years - used them back in the day in my LS1 Camaro and other vehicles and they were pretty much the staple plug to sue in a street/strip LS1 powered vehicle back then. But, in recent times I've used the 41-104s in my Vette at up to 12 psi, and in a built Gen 5 Camaro with a 175hp shot of nitrous, and I have never seen a hint of misfire or KR from these plugs. So, yes, they are a better plug than the TR-6.
IDK what the OP's particular problem is, but its not that the stock Z06 plug is a lower performing plug than the TR6. If it is the plugs, maybe they're just older and/or fouled/damaged or contaminated in some way?
The following users liked this post:
old motorhead (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM
bada
Racer

Originally Posted by CI GS
The factory Z06/ZR1 plugs are AC- Delco 41-104 Iridium plugs, which come factory gapped at .040". Most, if not all, Iridium plugs have a wider heat range than a conventional copper plug, reportedly due to the much smaller but stronger iridium electrode's ability to manage heat better. The 41-104 plugs are equivalent to a NGK - 6 heat range and are designed and warrantied by GM to last for 100,000 miles. They have been tested and proven, by many competent tuners, even on supercharged and nitrous applications and are a superior plug to the cheaper conventional NGK TR6 copper plug, which are decent plugs, but simply do not idle or last as long as the fine-wire Iridium plug. If you search on here, you will also see that some folks have experienced a "Service Active Handling" message from using TR-6 plugs in C6s as well. I've been through probably hundreds of TR6s over the years - used them back in the day in my LS1 Camaro and other vehicles and they were pretty much the staple plug to sue in a street/strip LS1 powered vehicle back then. But, in recent times I've used the 41-104s in my Vette at up to 12 psi, and in a built Gen 5 Camaro with a 175hp shot of nitrous, and I have never seen a hint of misfire or KR from these plugs. So, yes, they are a better plug than the TR-6.
IDK what the OP's particular problem is, but its not that the stock Z06 plug is a lower performing plug than the TR6. If it is the plugs, maybe they're just older and/or fouled/damaged or contaminated in some way?
Good read. However I put the TR6s back in and my power level seems to be back. Could the way my truck was tuned, and it being a automatic tranny. Be pulling timing and triggering the knock sensors? Or random misfires? What ever was going on is gone now.

Last edited by bada; 01-14-2019 at 07:26 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-15-2019, 07:44 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Some bad info in here. The NGK TR6 plugs are copper and outperform the stock Iridium plugs in every way except longevity. Copper conducts better and dissipates heat faster than Iridium.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Bad info?? Copper outperforms Iridium in every way except longevity? I guess that’s why all those big turbo guys use Denso Iridium plugs on their 2,000+ hp turbo motors? Copper plugs DO NOT dissipate heat better than Iridium plugs. That’s a myth promoted by traditionalists who will probably also tell you that carburetors are better than fuel injection.
Yes, copper, as a metal, has better conductivity than Iridium, but that is not the be all and end all of spark plug design. In fact, most, if not all of the performance plugs on the market, including the “Iridium” ones, have copper cores. The Iridium plugs simply have a center electrode made of Iridium, which because of its extreme hardness, can be much, much smaller than a copper electrode without melting like a candle wick under extreme cylinder pressures. In fact, it takes significantly less voltage to fire an Iridium plug than any copper plug, because the center electrode is smaller, and it also sheds heat quicker than a copper center electrode. Don’t take my word for it, contact any of the reputable shops that build high horsepower FI motors and ask them if they’ve tested Iridium plugs, and if so, what they found.
Apologies to the OP for the hijack...

Last edited by CI GS; 01-15-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:38 AM
bada
Racer

Bad info?? Copper outperforms Iridium in every way except longevity? I guess that’s why all those big turbo guys use Denso Iridium plugs on their 2,000+ hp turbo motors? Copper plugs DO NOT dissipate heat better than Iridium plugs. That’s a myth promoted by traditionalists who will probably also tell you that carburetors are better than fuel injection.
Yes, copper, as a metal, has better conductivity than Iridium, but that is not the be all and end all of spark plug design. In fact, most, if not all of the performance plugs on the market, including the “Iridium” ones, have copper cores. The Iridium plugs simply have a center electrode made of Iridium, which because of its extreme hardness, can be much, much smaller than a copper electrode without melting like a candle wick under extreme cylinder pressures. In fact, it takes significantly less voltage to fire an Iridium plug than any copper plug, because the center electrode is smaller, and it also sheds heat quicker than a copper center electrode. Don’t take my word for it, contact any of the reputable shops that build high horsepower FI motors and ask them if they’ve tested Iridium plugs, and if so, what they found.

No problem. I am looking for answers. I would love for someone to explain. Why I lost power with, the stock plugs & when I installed new TR6s my problem went away? I checked for cracks & gaps when, I pulled the stock plugs. But never found anything.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:03 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

No problem. I am looking for answers. I would love for someone to explain. Why I lost power with, the stock plugs & when I installed new TR6s my problem went away? I checked for cracks & gaps when, I pulled the stock plugs. But never found anything.
Just about the same thing happened to me....only in reverse. I pulled out Delco irridiums and replaced them with new TR6's. My supercharged truck ran like crap. I thought I must have done something wrong like getting some never seize on on electrode or cracking an insulator, or plug wire going bad, etc. Pulled them out, inspected everything, and reinstalled. Same crappy running rig. Put the old plugs back in and it ran perfect. Go figure. I threw the TR6's in the dumpster and never bought another one. I've got nothing against NGK. Just don't feel like their TR6 plug is a good option. I did run TR7ix's for a while in my supercharged Grand Sport. They were fine.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

That has me puzzled too, to be honest. Were they in fact the original 41-104 plugs? Maybe they were fouled or glazed over or something? If you can, post a decent HD picture of the “business end” of the plugs.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:48 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

If a car had TR6 in it and was tuned, and then plugs changed to 41-104 would that have a negative impact? I presume the car is tuned
Old 01-15-2019, 03:29 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Buddy A
If a car had TR6 in it and was tuned, and then plugs changed to 41-104 would that have a negative impact? I presume the car is tuned
I seriously doubt it would. Spark plugs are not worth much in terms of performance gain once the heat range is correct and they are gapped correctly, no matter what they’re made of, unless they are fouled or dead, etc. Then they make your car run like crap. But a good plug design can noticeably enhance idle quality and some extreme applications need a plug design (like a fine wire electrode) that can fire the gap under extreme cylinder pressures. What made me a believer in Denso Iridium plugs was an article in National Dragster, many, many years ago, where Kenny Duttwieler used them to pick up something like 600hp on a 35+ psi boost Buick V6, and, according to Duttweiler, that was simply because the conventional plugs couldn’t fire at full boost and the engine was misfiring and stumbling and loading up on the dyno.
I’ve run the Denso fine wires in everything from my truck to a 16.5:1 compression 565 BBC, to a 10,400RPM Mercury Drag outboard, and they’ve worked flawlessly. That’s also what I have in my Vette now (in a #7 heat range) and they perform flawlessly too. But, I ran the AC Delco 41-104s for a while in my car @12psi of boost, without meth, with no KR, and to tell you the truth, I swear my car idled better with them than with the Densos, perhaps due to the colder heat range of the latter.
I can’t speak for others, just trying to share what experience I have.
The following 2 users liked this post by CI GS:
Buddy A (01-15-2019), miami993c297 (10-16-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To TR6 plugs Vs stock C6 ZO6 plugs questions please.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 PM
bada
Racer

Originally Posted by Buddy A
That is what I was thinking also. I have been racing and had fast cars since, the mid 1960s. But this new tech has me baffled.

Last edited by bada; 01-15-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-15-2019, 06:54 PM
bada
Racer

That has me puzzled too, to be honest. Were they in fact the original 41-104 plugs? Maybe they were fouled or glazed over or something? If you can, post a decent HD picture of the “business end” of the plugs.

I have the old original, factory 41-104s. That came new in the motor.Plus I bought a new set of the A/C delco 41-104 plugs. The new 41-104s are what I put in it, last week. But when we put a cam in the motor. My tuner switched over to the TR6s. However I have had 3 different cams in this motor. The stock LS7, a BTR Stage III, and a custom grind just for my combo, for the auto tranny. Cam Motion did the custom grind.

But with all that being said. It has been running fine. Since the last tune & old TR6s. The only change was going from TR6s to 41-104s. Now I have not tried, the old set of 41-104s. That came in the motor new. But my first tune 8 years ago was with the 41-104s. And that was with only headers, attack filter,and stock LS7 cam and tune. And it ran fine with the 41-104s. But with the LAST TWO CAMS. It was tuned with TR6s.

The only reason I went back to the 41-104s. Was I was going over everything, During the winter. Just general oil change, fluids changed. So I thought. Why not put fresh plugs in it. And knowing. I had already run 41-104s. For several years, And they are supposed to last longer. I put those in.

And that is when I felt a big loss of power.

SO I AM REALLY STUMPED AS TO WHY> WITH ONLY A PLUG CHANGE. It ran Like crap.

Here is a picture of the cowl hood and the headers we built. So you can see how I draw air from the rear with limited space.

Last edited by bada; 01-15-2019 at 07:00 PM. Reason: ..
Old 01-17-2019, 09:24 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

The plugs that come stock in an LS7 are the same plugs that come stock in an LS9. They are a colder plug than what comes in an LS3. They are the same heat range as a TR6. TR6's are a cheap throw away plug. If you're changing plugs often, maybe they will have value for you. I'd rather use a better plug that I don't have to worry about watching closely. Pull them out after 75K miles and they still look perfect. I've had problems with TR6 plugs in the past. I won't use them under any circumstances.

Finally! someone else who knows about ignition. I've grown tired of explaining copper plugs are junk and there is no reason to switch from a good iridium. Iridium are superior in every way and the stock DENSO units are high quality stuff. If a colder heat range is needed go to a LS7/LS9/LSA plug. I've worked the last 10 years in plug development and application work for GM small blocks, OEM parts are the way to go.

To the OP, there should be no reason why switching back to stock plugs would make the car run poorly. Unless air gap is wayyyyy out of check.

Last edited by 9T3VETTE; 01-17-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: TR6 plugs Vs stock C6 ZO6 plugs questions please.