C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSA Ported Heads question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:51 PM
JayzBentC6
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LSA Ported Heads question

Hey guys. I just purchased a set of SDPC Ported LSA heads from a guy and wanted to see what you guys think I should do about this one spring and retainer on it. It appears to be replaced. But it isn’t the same as the others and it sits lower. Should I replace the retainer, spring etc? What would you all advise doing?
Old 01-11-2019, 02:27 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would get the correct one. More importantly from my perspective, is why was it replead?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Disassemble, inspect guides, valves, seats, etc....and replace springs, seats, locks, retainers, seals with a new setup that matches your particular combo/goals. Or, just get your money back...
Old 01-11-2019, 04:18 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Disassemble, inspect guides, valves, seats, etc....and replace springs, seats, locks, retainers, seals with a new setup that matches your particular combo/goals. Or, just get your money back...
Amen. I wouldn't install a used set of heads without a valve job, new springs, seals, retainers, and a thorough inspection. That would include truing up the head surfaces too.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:15 PM
JayzBentC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Makes sense. I’m gonna have them checked out. Other than that one they look good. Valves are clean etc. But you never know. And like the other person mentioned why was it replaced? I asked the guy he said he got them on a trade and never used them himself. But you know how that is. I will try and keep this updated let you all know what I find out. I appreciate the input!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:50 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Looks like a keepers are about to pull throuhg. whatever it is they are wrong, almost looks like the valve tips been ground. Take it apart, check the guide, valve and seat before going further
Something happened there.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:42 AM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Looks like it's upside down to me. There is no recess for the keepers and the spring bevel is facing up...

Last edited by RogerRamjet21; 01-13-2019 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Accuracy
Old 01-16-2019, 10:52 AM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

What was the outcome on this?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:15 PM
JayzBentC6
Advanced

I took them to a local speed shop. From what they can tell it looked like it had a bent valve at some point. The person replaced it or someone did. They said they may have put a random retainer on just to get rid of the heads possibly. Either way everything else looked ok. They are getting cleaned up. Should be good to go next week sometime.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Originally Posted by JayzBentC6
I took them to a local speed shop. From what they can tell it looked like it had a bent valve at some point. The person replaced it or someone did. They said they may have put a random retainer on just to get rid of the heads possibly. Either way everything else looked ok. They are getting cleaned up. Should be good to go next week sometime.
Thanks for posting back. I didn't like the look of the retainer, they usually have a recess for the clips which is why I thought it might have been installed upside down. Good that you had a speed shop look them over, best to have an expert eye on them for piece of mind!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:53 PM
JayzBentC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21
Thanks for posting back. I didn't like the look of the retainer, they usually have a recess for the clips which is why I thought it might have been installed upside down. Good that you had a speed shop look them over, best to have an expert eye on them for piece of mind!
Yeah it was a completely different retainer. Even the spring was shorter than the other ones. The valve is a Manley titanium valve. So it wasn’t oem. Having bronze guides put in. The valves seem to be fine so will be reusing those. And I got a proper spring kit with titanium retainers. So all should be good to go now.

Get notified of new replies

To LSA Ported Heads question

Quick Reply: LSA Ported Heads question