C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a LS7 N/A setup. please step in if you have one

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 04:41 PM
bada
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help with a LS7 N/A setup. please step in if you have one

LS7 heads who is the best for a N/A setup?I have a LS7, in my 32 ford truck, with a turbo 400. Right now it has a BTR stage III cam, headers, and a tune. The heads were fixed by WCCH. And the spring, and retainers, installed for the cam. Other than that the motor is stock.

I am would like to keep it N/A and 93 pump gas. That is how it is now. I have been reading and doing research, until my head & eyes hurt.

I thought a aftermarket head, intake and throttle body change. Might pick it up, et wise at the track.

But of course everyone says their heads are the best, some say fast, some same MSD for the intakes. I was hoping for some HELP from someone on the site.THAT COULD STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION Who have real world N/A setups. . Before I waste good money, with the wrong combo.

Last edited by bada; 01-12-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-12-2019, 10:51 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

On intake nanifold, what will fit under a C6 hood, will air starve the hell out of the motor past 6K isntead.

So if you want to spin the motor to 7K, need to get it to breath correctly to 7K with a intake manifold that will do that.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:10 AM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Headers? (need them) then get MSD intake with 102 throttle body and CAI and your good to go!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:15 PM
bada
Racer

Originally Posted by Todds427
Headers? (need them) then get MSD intake with 102 throttle body and CAI and your good to go!
As for the headers, I already have them, but I still run the stock air intake with high flow fillter. This is in a 1932 ford truck. So my air system is a little funny. But I have limited space.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:11 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

That must be a riot, lets see the rest of the car! Air intake setup is interesting.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:36 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

You're at the point where is little more powa is going to cost a lot more coin.....unless you add a blower. Then, it's still going to cost big time. Enjoy that bad girl in her current iteration!
Old 01-13-2019, 03:35 PM
bada
Racer

Here you go guys.

Last edited by bada; 01-13-2019 at 03:39 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-13-2019, 03:51 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Daaaayum. If I could tow my boat with that, I wouldn't even need to catch any fish!!!!
Old 01-13-2019, 03:58 PM
bada
Racer

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You're at the point where is little more powa is going to cost a lot more coin.....unless you add a blower. Then, it's still going to cost big time. Enjoy that bad girl in her current iteration!
I have had it this way for several years now. And just looking for some more power.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:19 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

It's blower time if you want to add significant power. It's visually spectacular as it sits. Add a top mount blower if you want to take it to the next level. My wife would leave me for your truck!

Edit: I think my dog would leave me too!!!!

Last edited by old motorhead; 01-13-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:31 PM
bada
Racer

Originally Posted by old motorhead
It's blower time if you want to add significant power. It's visually spectacular as it sits. Add a top mount blower if you want to take it to the next level. My wife would leave me for your truck!

Edit: I think my dog would leave me too!!!!

Thanks

But blowers and LS7 blocks don't play well together. If they did it would already have one.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:53 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by bada
Thanks

But blowers and LS7 blocks don't play well together. If they did it would already have one.
As stated, you have the room for a better intake manifold to promote better air flow in the higher RPM's, so use it to your advantage.

As for blowers on the LS7, not used in a way you are thinking with major boost levels, but lower boost levels to get the motor to breath all the way up to 7K in the limited engine bay space under the hood instead.

So stock dyno for a LS7, and does not matter what you are playing with, it still go winded at 5.6K rpms due to the restriction of the intake manifold.

So simply put, the motor wants to rev to 7K, and just a mater so is can breath correctly to 7k rpms so the power band does not go flat at the 5.6k point isntead.

Hence stock LS7 with OEM exhaust manifold, standard TVS-2300 will get you to over 650HP without breaking a sweat. The reason, the S/C will push enough air into the motor to get to pull hard all the way up to the 7K point. Better yet, since the Torque goes linear off idle with a S/C, your pulling dam near 600lbs of torque before even getting to 2K rpms.

Hence S/C on a stock LS7 ends up with the power and torque looking like this isntead.

So bang for buck, S/C will get you there the quickest way, often the least expensive way, and on a stock motor to boot.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-13-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:11 PM
bada
Racer

Originally Posted by Dano523
As stated, you have the room for a better intake manifold to promote better air flow in the higher RPM's, so use it to your advantage.

As for blowers on the LS7, not used in a way you are thinking with major boost levels, but lower boost levels to get the motor to breath all the way up to 7K in the limited engine bay space under the hood instead.

So stock dyno for a LS7, and does not matter what you are playing with, it still go winded at 5.6K rpms due to the restriction of the intake manifold.

So simply put, the motor wants to rev to 7K, and just a mater so is can breath correctly to 7k rpms so the power band does not go flat at the 5.6k point isntead.

Hence stock LS7 with OEM exhaust manifold, standard TVS-2300 will get you to over 650HP without breaking a sweat. The reason, the S/C will push enough air into the motor to get to pull hard all the way up to the 7K point. Better yet, since the Torque goes linear off idle with a S/C, your pulling dam near 600lbs of torque before even getting to 2K rpms.

Hence S/C on a stock LS7 ends up with the power and torque looking like this isntead.

So bang for buck, S/C will get you there the quickest way, often the least expensive way, and on a stock motor to boot.
Great info Dano. So my stock block will take this blower? And what PSI are you talking about.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

A TVS will add about 20hp per pound of boost. The way you're set up now, you should be over 550. So, 5ish psi should put you over 650 at the wheels. An LS7 will get along just fine with even more boost than that. Pulley the blower for 7 or 8psi and you'll have a real beast on your hands.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:25 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

No need for aftermarket heads on this car...stock castings with a good CNC program flow exceptionally well. Having said that, ported heads don't really shine without adding an aftermarket cam. Can you CNC them? Sure...but the time and money involved to R&R the heads for CNC on a stock cam LS7 will not net that much of a HP gain. "Worth it" will be entirely up to you though...

As for intake manifolds...a ported MSD will always post up more gains that a ported FAST. Either will make decent gains...but MSD > FAST.

TB change? Nah..not worth the money for your build. A NW 102 TB is worth about 6 hp on a max effort NA LS7 build (meaning 600+ rwhp). You're better off sending your OE TB out to be ported along with whatever intake you choose. The ported OE TB isn't for HP though..strictly throttle response.

As for an air intake...you'd have to go custom fab. Not sure what filter you run, but the "attack blue" is about the only drop in filter that has shown proven gains on the ZR1, and it also fits the OE LS7 air intake.

My recommendation...start with a ported MSD/ported OE TB, and a drop in "attack blue" filter. Those are all pretty easy add-ons, and you can go from there if you're still wanting more. If so...you can always send your heads back to WCCH for their CNC program, but I would recommend looking into at least a mild cam. If its me, I'd go custom mild cam from Cam motion. Something that doesn't put too much stress on the valvetrain.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 01-14-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:56 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
No need for aftermarket heads on this car...stock castings with a good CNC program flow exceptionally well. Having said that, ported heads don't really shine without adding an aftermarket cam. Can you CNC them? Sure...but the time and money involved to R&R the heads for CNC on a stock cam LS7 will not net that much of a HP gain. "Worth it" will be entirely up to you though...

As for intake manifolds...a ported MSD will always post up more gains that a ported FAST. Either will make decent gains...but MSD > FAST.

TB change? Nah..not worth the money for your build. A NW 102 TB is worth about 6 hp on a max effort NA LS7 build (meaning 600+ rwhp). You're better off sending your OE TB out to be ported along with whatever intake you choose. The ported OE TB isn't for HP though..strictly throttle response.

As for an air intake...you'd have to go custom fab. Not sure what filter you run, but the "attack blue" is about the only drop in filter that has shown proven gains on the ZR1, and it also fits the OE LS7 air intake.

My recommendation...start with a ported MSD/ported OE TB, and a drop in "attack blue" filter. Those are all pretty easy add-ons, and you can go from there if you're still wanting more. If so...you can always send your heads back to WCCH for their CNC program, but I would recommend looking into at least a mild cam. If its me, I'd go custom mild cam from Cam motion. Something that doesn't put too much stress on the valvetrain.
Did you read his post at all? He already has headers and cam... "I have a LS7, in my 32 ford truck, with a turbo 400. Right now it has a BTR stage III cam, headers, and a tune."
Old 01-14-2019, 03:58 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21
Did you read his post at all? He already has headers and cam... "I have a LS7, in my 32 ford truck, with a turbo 400. Right now it has a BTR stage III cam, headers, and a tune."
Well ****...I did, somehow I glossed the BTR 3.

In that case...ported MSD & NW102 is next step...but you'll need to modify your air intake to fit the 102 TB.

I imagine your WCCH heads are already CNC'd then OP?

Last edited by MTPZ06; 01-14-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with a LS7 N/A setup. please step in if you have one

Old 01-14-2019, 04:20 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by bada
LS7 heads who is the best for a N/A setup?I have a LS7, in my 32 ford truck, with a turbo 400. Right now it has a BTR stage III cam, headers, and a tune. The heads were fixed by WCCH. And the spring, and retainers, installed for the cam. Other than that the motor is stock.

I am would like to keep it N/A and 93 pump gas. That is how it is now. I have been reading and doing research, until my head & eyes hurt.

I thought a aftermarket head, intake and throttle body change. Might pick it up, et wise at the track.

But of course everyone says their heads are the best, some say fast, some same MSD for the intakes. I was hoping for some HELP from someone on the site.THAT COULD STEER ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION Who have real world N/A setups. . Before I waste good money, with the wrong combo.
I'm guessing I might catch flack for some of my opinions, but all I can do is share what works REALLY well for my setup. I'm strongly of the opinion that GM did a lot of things properly with the LS7 so why try to improve on what already works.

My best ET was last February when I ran 9.933@136.70 with the car, which is an N/A LS7 and 6L80E transmission as well as several other mods.

Aftermarket heads in my opinion are not needed as I'm running stock heads that had the valve guides replaced, were milled .030 and ported by a local shop meaning that I didn't spend a ton of money on them.

I'm running a stock, unported throttle body that was originally on my LS2. I had a ported throttle body on the car in an earlier build but didn't notice any increased horsepower or throttle response.

I'm running a ported stock LS7 intake manifold as I tried both an unported MSD and a ported FAST 102 and in both cases I may have seen marginal (at best) ET improvements but definitely not worth the cost.

I also tried a Vararam intake in an earlier build as well as a couple of others and again, didn't see enough of an improvements to justify the cost. I'm currently running a stock intake with an Attack Blue filter which is worth the money, as I picked up a full tenth after installing it.

The other list of stock parts includes spark plugs, coils and wires.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:59 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
I'm guessing I might catch flack for some of my opinions, but all I can do is share what works REALLY well for my setup. I'm strongly of the opinion that GM did a lot of things properly with the LS7 so why try to improve on what already works.

My best ET was last February when I ran 9.933@136.70 with the car, which is an N/A LS7 and 6L80E transmission as well as several other mods.

Aftermarket heads in my opinion are not needed as I'm running stock heads that had the valve guides replaced, were milled .030 and ported by a local shop meaning that I didn't spend a ton of money on them.

I'm running a stock, unported throttle body that was originally on my LS2. I had a ported throttle body on the car in an earlier build but didn't notice any increased horsepower or throttle response.

I'm running a ported stock LS7 intake manifold as I tried both an unported MSD and a ported FAST 102 and in both cases I may have seen marginal (at best) ET improvements but definitely not worth the cost.

I also tried a Vararam intake in an earlier build as well as a couple of others and again, didn't see enough of an improvements to justify the cost. I'm currently running a stock intake with an Attack Blue filter which is worth the money, as I picked up a full tenth after installing it.

The other list of stock parts includes spark plugs, coils and wires.

No flame thrower from me...along my line of thinking as well. I am surprised you didn't see much merit in the MSD & FAST intakes. I don't know how much port work your castings had in them though.

If the OP's heads are CNC'd not just "fixed" as he stated...he has an excellent port job then. I'd be shocked if he didn't see at least 30 rwhp with a ported MSD & NW 102 TB. Heck...the MSD should produce that on its own (without the 102 TB). "In theory", that should be worth 2-3 tenths in the quarter...but time slips matter more than theory.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:02 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
No flame thrower from me...along my line of thinking as well. I am surprised you didn't see much merit in the MSD & FAST intakes. I don't know how much port work your castings had in them though.

If the OP's heads are CNC'd not just "fixed" as he stated...he has an excellent port job then. I'd be shocked if he didn't see at least 30 rwhp with a ported MSD & NW 102 TB. Heck...the MSD should produce that on its own (without the 102 TB). "In theory", that should be worth 2-3 tenths in the quarter...but time slips matter more than theory.
I definitely agree with the "in theory" part because back when I used to tune other people's cars, more than a few times they had literally just been on the dyno that afternoon and I ended up having to detune them at the track to run faster ETs because while the dyno tune may have shown the most HP/TQ, it didn't translate to the quickest ET.

Quick Reply: Help with a LS7 N/A setup. please step in if you have one