C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting used to this car... grinding synchro!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 02:32 PM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

To add to this , as the others have suggested do the easy stuff first, if not caused by one, the combination of fixes should get it right. Rebuilding the lower shift box made a very noticeable difference for me, which was done separately from trans fluid change... there's a guy on this forum who rebuilds the boxes, & I highly recommend it...
Old 01-22-2019, 04:24 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCorvette93
What do you mean by "Yikes, that lets me out..." ??

Thank you!
It means Tallahassee is a long way from Lake Worth, so I'm probably not dropping by to compare shifter feel...
Old 01-22-2019, 10:06 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21
It means Tallahassee is a long way from Lake Worth, so I'm probably not dropping by to compare shifter feel...
Oh I see now... I would not expect you to do that! Like I said, I really believe it's user error. Prior to this car, I had a Honda Fit, the shifter and clutch of which were very light and snappy.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:28 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd look into 1a) getting a new aftermarket shifter box (e.g. MGW) -OR- 1b) rebuilding your current box (TMODD Customs on this forum), 2) watch the "how to shift in a c6" video by Ranger, (who holds records for fastest manual stock c6 on a strip), and 3) replace your tranny fluid with something high quality
Old 01-26-2019, 09:42 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 778 Likes on 439 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I had a similar problem in the last C5 I had. I was a manual gear box and it was notchy and it grinded into 2nd.
Had the fluid replaced with purple stuff and it shifted like butter after that. You would be surprised the difference a fluid change makes.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:29 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

It is a user error, happens to me also when i am not paying attention and the car us very cold. You have to remember that it is not Honda, it has a beefy clutch and transmission to handle lot of torque. Think of how the semis shift. You have to clutch and shift with pre thought and purpose, especially when it is cold, especially the second gear. That is all. Clutch all the way and pull the handle back positively, take your time don't rush it. Last but not least, all those maintenance items are always good but don't go for magic purple stuff, c6 transmission likes oem viscosity, it shifts best with it, ask me how I know.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:06 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
It is a user error, happens to me also when i am not paying attention and the car us very cold. You have to remember that it is not Honda, it has a beefy clutch and transmission to handle lot of torque. Think of how the semis shift. You have to clutch and shift with pre thought and purpose, especially when it is cold, especially the second gear. That is all. Clutch all the way and pull the handle back positively, take your time don't rush it. Last but not least, all those maintenance items are always good but don't go for magic purple stuff, c6 transmission likes oem viscosity, it shifts best with it, ask me how I know.
Thanks so much for the reply! Yes, it is definitely isetr error on my part... Somewhat common experience, it seems.

So you use GM transmission fluid then? Or is there brand you recommend that is still OE viscosity?

Thanks -
Old 01-27-2019, 04:05 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 778 Likes on 439 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Thanks so much for the reply! Yes, it is definitely isetr error on my part... Somewhat common experience, it seems.

So you use GM transmission fluid then? Or is there brand you recommend that is still OE viscosity?

Thanks -
I asked my friend/ mechanic what he used on mine and it was Amsoil. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks -
Yes, i went back to OEM, it is ATF, it shifts best with it. However in all fairness i have not tried amsoil or some others because i am really happy with how it shifts when it is warmed up. Stick with the OEM FLUIDS in this car, especially with the rear end. Enjoy!!

Quick Reply: Getting used to this car... grinding synchro!