C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 C6 Ls3 Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 10:07 AM
tuantrang
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 C6 Ls3 Gas Smell

Hey Guys,
I was wondering, i been purchase the vette not too long ago and i always have fuel full but never smell nothing, couple month ago i think after i drove the car out of the parking spot maybe i scrape something cause after that every time i fill the car more then half of a gas tank sometime it be smell of gas in my garage where i park the vette. Is it something i need to worry about? I got not insurance or warranty on the vette.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by tuantrang
Hey Guys,
I was wondering, i been purchase the vette not too long ago and i always have fuel full but never smell nothing, couple month ago i think after i drove the car out of the parking spot maybe i scrape something cause after that every time i fill the car more then half of a gas tank sometime it be smell of gas in my garage where i park the vette. Is it something i need to worry about? I got not insurance or warranty on the vette.
There is a service bulletin on fuel pumps going bad due to a cracked fuel fitting on top of the fuel tank, the smell is most noticeable when the fuel tanks are full. There should not be any fuel smell so have it inspected by a service technician. The service bulletin is valid within 10 years or 120,000 miles from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service. No charge for the repair.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Yes you should worry as exhaust fumes filling a garage can obviously start a fire.

Check the simple things first. Replace the gas cap if the seal is bad. Do you smell it more near the cap or under the muffler gas tank area or right rear fender? You may have coverage based on the quote below

one of the posts on this video says the TSB expired

" On January 2018 I took my C6 to Fiesta Chevrolet in Laredo TX. The dealer repair cost is $2,800.00. General Motors will not cover repairs cost because the special bulletin expired in June 2017 and could not exceed 120,000 miles. I contacted General Motors customer service at 1 800 222-1020 with negative results. Currently my C6 still at the dealership pending repairs. Special Bulletin Number is 15682-03. The issue is the fuel vapor smell in the cabin area. The problem is the primary tank module flange fuel vapor leak. General Motors Customer Service stated that the Special Bulletin is not a Recall Bulletin. Therefore it should had been taken before June 2017 and less than 120,000 miles. Fuel Vapors are dangerous but GM did not showed any concern. They closed my Customer Ticket claim number as no solution. "

Last edited by Got uid0; 02-03-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Got uid0
Yes you should worry as exhaust fumes filling a garage can obviously start a fire.

Check the simple things first. Replace the gas cap if the seal is bad. Do you smell it more near the cap or under the muffler gas tank area or right rear fender? You may have coverage based on the quote below

one of the posts on this video says the TSB expired

" On January 2018 I took my C6 to Fiesta Chevrolet in Laredo TX. The dealer repair cost is $2,800.00. General Motors will not cover repairs cost because the special bulletin expired in June 2017 and could not exceed 120,000 miles. I contacted General Motors customer service at 1 800 222-1020 with negative results. Currently my C6 still at the dealership pending repairs. Special Bulletin Number is 15682-03. The issue is the fuel vapor smell in the cabin area. The problem is the primary tank module flange fuel vapor leak. General Motors Customer Service stated that the Special Bulletin is not a Recall Bulletin. Therefore it should had been taken before June 2017 and less than 120,000 miles. Fuel Vapors are dangerous but GM did not showed any concern. They closed my Customer Ticket claim number as no solution. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9e3Md122Mg
The notice I received for my 2008 stated within 10 years or 120,000 miles of the in service date. No expiration was mentioned, only had to be within the stated period. I had my fuel pump replaced a few years back and it was covered 100%. GM must be revising the service bulletin.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 02-03-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:45 PM
tuantrang
Intermediate

So just bring my vette to a local chevy dealership and tell them the problem? I smell it mostly on driver side rear, when i look on the bottom it have some gas liquid sticking on the bottom of the driver gas tank area, i try to took off the under shield for the driver tank and it cover with sticky residue like gas.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

So just bring my vette to a local chevy dealership and tell them the problem? I smell it mostly on driver side rear, when i look on the bottom it have some gas liquid sticking on the bottom of the driver gas tank area, i try to took off the under shield for the driver tank and it cover with sticky residue like gas.
Yes, bring it in with a copy of service bulletin 15682 which is the original service bulletin and see what they say. Google GM service bulletin 15682 and download the pdf. S.B. to your computer. Print a copy to bring to your service dealership.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 02-03-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:07 PM
tuantrang
Intermediate

Ok, I print it out and try it on my day off, i assume is free under warranty, how long it take for them to fix the problem?
Old 02-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Ok, I print it out and try it on my day off, i assume is free under warranty, how long it take for them to fix the problem?
On 6 speed manuals it is less work, 4-5 hours and no charge for the repair.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 PM
tuantrang
Intermediate

Update, I brought it in last week and it took them a whole week to look and fix the tsb, then today they say it ready but i have to pay for the whole fuel tank " the Tech lady say" Well you don't have to worry about the labor since it already out, but the fuel tank cost 2500". So i told her to put it back for me and now she say i have to pay $121 for a fuel crossover/line or something once we take off it have to be discard and told me to authorized it over the phone.

Can i make a complaint or something?
Old 03-14-2019, 06:47 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

If your car is out of warranty not much you can complain about. You can call the 800 number i posted earlier however it does not appear you will get help per the copy and paste of someone else similar experience.

TSB are not warranty free of charge unless it is a recall issue.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 C6 Ls3 Gas Smell

Quick Reply: 2011 C6 Ls3 Gas Smell