C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning a stock car, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Tuning a stock car, worth it?

08 manual trans, completely stock down to the paper air filter. Would It be worth it to get a custom tune? Did GM leave some power or responsiveness on the table?
Old 02-07-2019, 10:49 PM
TOM WELCH
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

yes, but supporting mods help, alot.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedsvt
08 manual trans, completely stock down to the paper air filter. Would It be worth it to get a custom tune? Did GM leave some power or responsiveness on the table?
If you are satisfied with the car then there's no harm at all in leaving it alone. However, a tune can certainly add a lot to the day to day driving enjoyment even on an M6. Sure, some power was left on the table. What was really left on the table was throttle response, which I found really bland. A lot of people address this with a hardware throttle controller, but it can also be done via software. I was more comfortable with the software approach based on many years of positive experience with it on European cars. With an ECM software upgrade you can get some more power, better throttle response, get rid of skip shift, and more. Lots of potential benefits even on an otherwise stock car. Probably best to first think about what your goals are, because the modification game can have no end once you start and you might end up on a talk show ;-)

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 02-08-2019 at 08:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (04-27-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 06:31 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks guys, I’ve always played with Mustangs and forced induction. I’ve always built them to the point of unreliability and don’t want to do this with my Corvette. I’m thinking at most a cold air kit and a tune but am seeing mixed responses on the cold air kits on the LS3. I do want better throttle response and it feels sluggish at low rpms but considering my last car was an ‘03 Cobra with a roots style blower maybe this is just normal. I want reliable power so I can drive it like I stole it and not break stuff.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:59 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Thanks guys, I’ve always played with Mustangs and forced induction. I’ve always built them to the point of unreliability and don’t want to do this with my Corvette. I’m thinking at most a cold air kit and a tune but am seeing mixed responses on the cold air kits on the LS3. I do want better throttle response and it feels sluggish at low rpms but considering my last car was an ‘03 Cobra with a roots style blower maybe this is just normal. I want reliable power so I can drive it like I stole it and not break stuff.
oh, ok. So you already know the drill. I should have been tipped off by your screen name. You can do very well with an intake and a tune, which is what I did. It will be fun and reliable. There are some recent threads where I posted my experience. Your throttle is probably normal, but you don’t have to live with it.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 02-08-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:25 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Yes, if reasonable cost.
You'll be "dialing in your" air fuel ratios and throttle pedal to throttle body response.

Otherwise if you are currently happy the way it drives....your call.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

HAHAHAHA reminds me of an alcoholic that just wants to take the "occasional sip"..... I feel you pain brotha but it's hard to step away from the mods!!!! Good luck to ya though I certainly support the effort!!

The following users liked this post:
damascus1986 (04-26-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

ON my 20018 base LS3 with less than 900 miles I went from 375 rwhp to 400 rwhp with a tune only. The tq went from 383 to 400.

I thought it was worth it but then I had some $$ burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Really depends on your driving skill level.

As noted, GM used TM to hold some instant power back to protect the drive line. Hell same goes for the clutch, and it meant slightly slip during high RPM shifts to save the drive line from shock as well.
Also, the throttle mapping curve response is really to soccer mom the car to keep you out of trouble to a degree as well.

So just these TM not hobbling the motor and sharper throttle mapping re-tuned will make a huge different in the seat of pants feeling of the car. Hence your only going to pick up around 15hp with the re-tune, but since the bigger one of TM not holding power back from reaching the tire, makes a world of difference.

As for throttle remapping, if you are treating the gas pedal like an on/off switch, instead of rolling and out of the throttle, the would not remap the throttle.
Truth is, with the throttle remapped to be linear between pedal position and TB vain opening rate like say a 70's carb car with the same amount OEM HP, the C6 would be dam near UN-drivable in most hands since every time you breathed heaver on the gas pedal, it would break the rear tires loose.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 AM
JimmyS5600
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

When my 08 was OEM I kicked the tune idea around. I took it for a dyno tune and was
really pleased with the outcome. That was 3 years ago and still pleased that I had it done
Old 02-11-2019, 03:38 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Absolutely go for it.....provided there is a reputable tuner in your area. The OEM tune is conservative by design & yes, a custom tune will yield some additional hp. While you're at it, consider adding headers & an aftermarket exhaust. Doing so will give you most advantage with a tune without spending crazy $$$.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:09 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Diablosport In tuner 3 is it a good alternative?

Would the Diablosport In tuner 3 works just as well?
Old 02-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Angel2993
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2008 manual as well. Mine dyno'd 450 WHP @ 4540 RPM with just an air intake, headers, exhaust, and the tune of course. The correction factor was set to 1.18 so that number might add a few horsepower.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:56 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

I am thinking about doing a stock tune as well. Seems like it would be worth it!

Any benefit to keeping CAGS even with a tune? I kind of like the system...

Is the power limited in first and second gear in manual cars, too?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:49 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by KingCorvette93
I am thinking about doing a stock tune as well. Seems like it would be worth it!

Any benefit to keeping CAGS even with a tune? I kind of like the system...

Is the power limited in first and second gear in manual cars, too?
if you like CAGS, a tune can be set up to keep it. However, you might be the only one to do that. Most people don’t like it. The only power limit in 1st and 2nd that I’m aware of is traction
Old 02-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Stock Engine/CAI tune benefits:

Cags can be eliminated.
A tune will remove most or all torque management which will unleash toque which is where you will feel most gains.
Most tuners will recommend a lower t-stat and adjust the fan program to lower engine coolant temps, then if possible adjust timing table.
If a CAI was installed the MAF tables will be adjusted to account for any additional air at part throttle cruise.
The power enrichment will most likely be leaned out a bit to pick up some power at WOT. The stock tune is on the rich side at WOT.
Some timing adder tables may be adjusted.
Auto Trans - shifting adjustments for firmer and quicker shifts.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 02-14-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:51 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed
The only power limit in 1st and 2nd that I’m aware of is traction
Can you explain just a bit more on what "traction power limit" means?

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning a stock car, worth it?

Old 02-15-2019, 08:17 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Can you explain just a bit more on what "traction power limit" means?
Yeah...too subtle humor. Tire traction is going to ultimately limit how much power you can actually use.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:40 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed
Yeah...too subtle humor. Tire traction is going to ultimately limit how much power you can actually use.
Ah I see now...

So there is no software power limit??

Last edited by KingCorvette93; 02-15-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:20 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Ah I see now...

So there is no software power limit??
Of course there are software power limits given the general nature of the question. There is a great deal of software in these cars. One can argue that traction and stability control is a type of software power limit. Redline cut is a form of software power limit. Timing adjustments based on conditions could be argued the same. What's underlying your concern about power limits?

I know of European cars that are significantly power limited in first and second gear (torque limited to be more specific). After a tune they can still end up with the same limits, which means the tune only does something when you hit third gear. If that's your concern I don't see anything like this going on in the C6 M6 cars.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 02-15-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Tuning a stock car, worth it?