C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 C-6 oil pan wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Euthymicone
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2008 C-6 oil pan wiring

I would appreciate some advice regarding my C-6 A6 base coupe (with Z51 package): During some routine maintenance, I noticed a wire leading into the block just above the oil pan that was resting on the exhaust. The wiring appears to be scorched on the surface only, and since I'm not getting any codes I hope I can locate something similar to the OEM heat resistant insulation and wrap the wire. I have researched and cannot determine what this sensor is. Also, recommendations on heat resistant tape or similar would be appreciated.

The wiring in question is the one leading into the orange colored section. The scorching can be seen to the left.

Last edited by Euthymicone; 03-02-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:27 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Euthymicone
I would appreciate some advice regarding my C-6 A6 base coupe (with Z51 package): During some routine maintenance, I noticed a wire leading into the oil pan that was resting on the exhaust. The wiring appears to be scorched on the surface only, and since I'm not getting any codes I hope I can locate something similar to the OEM heat resistant insulation and wrap the wire. I have researched and cannot determine what this sensor is. Also, recommendations on heat resistant tape or similar would be appreciated.

The wiring in question is the one leading into the orange colored section. The scorching can be seen to the left.
That's the knock sensor.
The following 2 users liked this post by subfloor@centurytrans:
Euthymicone (03-03-2019), mikeCsix (03-04-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:34 PM
Euthymicone
Instructor

Thanks. I researched everything I had at hand and was on the wrong track. Appreciate it!
Old 03-02-2019, 02:37 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Euthymicone
Thanks. I researched everything I had at hand and was on the wrong track. Appreciate it!
No problem.

I'd recommend double checking to make sure it's not burned all the way through because if it is, it's unlikely that it'd ever cause a CEL which means you'd be driving around minus one knock sensor and be none the wiser.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Euthymicone
Instructor

Will do. Thanks again!
Old 03-04-2019, 08:49 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

You can also pull back the cover on the sensor, loosen the bolt and rotate the sensor to give more clearance tot the cat then retorque the bolt and re install the cover over the sensor.
The following users liked this post:
Euthymicone (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 AM
Euthymicone
Instructor

Good tip. Thanks. I'll be tackling that today and will try it. This is my second Corvette (the other was new and required minimal work) and there is quite a learning curve since I previously owned German and British sports cars. I imagine questions like this are simplistic to some, and not worth responding to. (I posted on another forum and with 51 views have not received any response.) Like I said, there is a learning curve and unfortunately, it is early in my learning process. We are all experts or at least quite knowledgeable in something, for me this ain't it. Again--appreciate the replies!

Last edited by Euthymicone; 03-04-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 C-6 oil pan wiring

Quick Reply: 2008 C-6 oil pan wiring