C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Tire Pressure Reading Retention

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:50 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default TPMS Tire Pressure Reading Retention

I have installed M&H DR's with Weld Wheels for track use with TPMS sensors mounted but not activated. I was getting a "0" pressure reading at the track but low and behold the TPMS reading was 29 PSI after putting it away in the garage. I realized the reading was coming from my street wheel/tire set stored in the garage. Questions:

1. I noted the "0" tire pressure reading prevented me from accessing Competitive Driving Mode but I did not observe any other issues/ DIC messages like "Reduced Engine Power". Are there other ECM interventions I did not see?

2. How long (miles driven, # of ignition cycles, etc.) will the pressure reading from my "take off" wheels/tires be retained until the pressure reading goes to zero?

Thanks in advance.

BIGMAC
Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Some people with DR’s take some PVC and put a couple of tpms inside and seal it up then put 30 psi pressure in it and connect these tpms to the car. Car thinks rear tires have pressure and you can run the pressure of your DR’s down to where you like with no issues.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
I have installed M&H DR's with Weld Wheels for track use with TPMS sensors mounted but not activated. I was getting a "0" pressure reading at the track but low and behold the TPMS reading was 29 PSI after putting it away in the garage. I realized the reading was coming from my street wheel/tire set stored in the garage. Questions:

1. I noted the "0" tire pressure reading prevented me from accessing Competitive Driving Mode but I did not observe any other issues/ DIC messages like "Reduced Engine Power". Are there other ECM interventions I did not see?

2. How long (miles driven, # of ignition cycles, etc.) will the pressure reading from my "take off" wheels/tires be retained until the pressure reading goes to zero?

Thanks in advance.

BIGMAC
1. Only turn off traction control at the drags. There is no advantage beyond that, but the dis-advantage is that you'd have no assistance to avoid problems if you lost control.

2. You'll get the 0 or XX on the DIC, usually within a mile after leaving the tires/wheels with the sensors. If you swap wheels at the track, the car generally resets every time you return to the pit area.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

On my car, takes ~60-70 miles before it goes to XX on DIC. If I park next to my street wheels, just keeps resyncing with them as long as drives are less than 60 miles or so.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:05 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
1. Only turn off traction control at the drags. There is no advantage beyond that, but the dis-advantage is that you'd have no assistance to avoid problems if you lost control.

2. You'll get the 0 or XX on the DIC, usually within a mile after leaving the tires/wheels with the sensors. If you swap wheels at the track, the car generally resets every time you return to the pit area.
HOXXOH,

Thanks for the reply. You always have great technical info. Let me clarify my situation a bit. I have a 2012 GS. The TPMS sensors are installed in the rear wheels but not synced to the car. At the track I was getting a "0" pressure reading despite the tires at 18psi. The reading was not "XX" (as on my C5 with no sensors) nor were any malfunction indicators on the DIC.

If I understand the system (from actually reading the owners manual ) the zero psi reading triggers the inability to access Competition Mode and thereby the ability to turn it off- but I should not do that anyway!

Are there any other implications from my situation like "Reduced Engine Power" (again no DIC messages). If not, it would seem I can simply ignore the tire pressure warning.

It seems the C6 TPM/AH system is a real mystery with a lot of conflicting technical info. For example, I am running 28" tall M&H DR's with stock front tires that have a front/rear tire diameter difference beyond what about 50% of the sources report will cause the nannies to go crazy causing a range of horrible implications from reduced engine power to unwanted AH intervention. So far so good for me but it would be nice to know why!

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

BIGMAC

Last edited by BIGMAC; 03-16-2019 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Tire Pressure Reading Retention

Quick Reply: TPMS Tire Pressure Reading Retention