C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installation of Head Bolts on 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 08:05 PM
M096865
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Installation of Head Bolts on 6.0L

Hello All,
I had an issue today installing my driver's side head after a piston change.

Bolts are aftermarket stretch to yield bolts and came with some pink/reddish wax about 1 inch up thread.

When I went to install them I kept noticing them binding before they were seated to a point that made me concerned that they would seize. So I removed them and recleaned the holes.

Realized some of my issue was caused by cleaner remaining in holes even though I blew them out. I have now cleaned them again with a brass bottle brush and both blew them out and vacuumed out each hole.

Issue is the pink wax is no longer on the bolts and I don't know what I should do to replace it or if I even have to replace it or do I just use something on the threads.

Read a bunch of threads on topic but nothing provide answers to this question.

Just to be clear, I never torqued the bolts, just tightened down to seat only, did not tighten to 1st step of 22 ft.lbs.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Scott
Old 03-18-2019, 06:09 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

If the wax/sealant is no longer on the bolts, I think it would be best to get new bolts. A new set of GM torque to yeild bolt set if pretty cheap. Don't half-*** it.

Also, you need to make sure the bolt holes are as clean as possible. When I re-install heads, I blow out the holes, use several long cotton swabs to sop up any oil or coolant, using a new swab until it comes out dry. Then I run the LS head bolt chaser that I purchased down each hole. You can also make a chaser by using a Dremel to cut 3 or 4 grooves length-ways in an old head bolt. Just clean it off after each hole.

I then blow each hole out again and check each one again with long cotton swabs.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:21 AM
M096865
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the reply and I am planning to do a more thorough cleaning before reinstalling the bolts.

I'm planning on modifying one of the old bolts to use to chase/clean the holes.

I would like to use the new bolts I have but if there is any doubt over what to put on the thread I will just go buy a new set.
Thanks
Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Installation of Head Bolts on 6.0L

Quick Reply: Installation of Head Bolts on 6.0L