C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

230 234 Spin grind on the latest lobes

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 04:16 PM
Matt Zed
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 230 234 Ls3 Spin grind on the latest lobes

Spin had great success with the 230 xfi 234 xer .612 .598 114+2 cam in ls3 applications a while back but mentioned lots of deviances out there depending on who ground the cam.

CamMotion is my usual go-to when I have a spec I want ground but they don't use Xfi or Xer lobes.

So if I gave them the basic Spin cam specs like lift, duration, lsa and advance, would I get the same performance essentially? Or does the different lobe design act to increase/decrease the duration and you end up getting a different behaving cam altogether?

Last edited by Matt Zed; 03-20-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:02 PM
Bexe
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Zed
Spin had great success with the 230 xfi 234 xer .612 .598 114+2 cam in ls3 applications a while back but mentioned lots of deviances out there depending on who ground the cam.

CamMotion is my usual go-to when I have a spec I want ground but they don't use Xfi or Xer lobes.

So if I gave them the basic Spin cam specs like lift, duration, lsa and advance, would I get the same performance essentially? Or does the different lobe design act to increase/decrease the duration and you end up getting a different behaving cam altogether?
send it to BTR to have them do a custom grind. You won’t have to question it then. I have a spinmonster grind in my car and have a more radical, but Derived from spin’s original cam ideaology that Brian spec’d himself for my motor to optimize performance sitting on the shelf for when I get bored. They’re a top notch outfit and do all of their work Inhouse.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Matt Zed
Racer

Originally Posted by Bexe
send it to BTR to have them do a custom grind. You won’t have to question it then. I have a spinmonster grind in my car and have a more radical, but Derived from spin’s original cam ideaology that Brian spec’d himself for my motor to optimize performance sitting on the shelf for when I get bored. They’re a top notch outfit and do all of their work Inhouse.
I don't want anyone to try to reinvent the wheel though with a new custom grind, the 230 234 spin spec cam has proven itself as Spin has done the leg work and I haven't seen anything newer with similar spec make any more power. I've seen newer grinds with less intake duration and more exhaust duration compared to the 230/234, yet I haven't seen them make more hp/trq but they come with more overlap.

I called CamMotion about the 230 234 cam today and they said the xfi and xer lobes are a comp cam thing and not something they do....so the search continues.

I hope spin can comment here as he would be the best to explain the closest possible new lobed option to mimic the famous 230 xfi 234 xer setup.

Otherwise, the 230 238 .600 .615 it is as it's proven as well, and a lot easier to grind a comparable copy of an Eps lobed cam in 2019.

Last edited by Matt Zed; 03-21-2019 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:47 PM
DSOMZ51
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I used Spinmonster's cam grind in my 2005 C6 and it was awesome. I ordered it as a custom cam grind from Comp Cams but it was at their year-end and my order was overlooked. I ended up getting this cam spec from Bullet Cams from the vendor I ordered from and didn't look back. In the thin air here in Denver, my LS2 put down 464 rwhp/416 tq with this cam, Fast LSX 102 intake, Peak Speedshop ported throttle body, Halltech Stinger cold air intake, Kooks 1.75" long tube headers. After the original tune by American Intense Racing and my subsequent road tuning with HP Tuners and an installed wideband O2 sensor, this car was so docile and fun to drive! Spin's cam specs are definitely worth doing!
Old 03-20-2019, 09:52 PM
Matt Zed
Racer

Originally Posted by DSOMZ51
I used Spinmonster's cam grind in my 2005 C6 and it was awesome. I ordered it as a custom cam grind from Comp Cams but it was at their year-end and my order was overlooked. I ended up getting this cam spec from Bullet Cams from the vendor I ordered from and didn't look back. In the thin air here in Denver, my LS2 put down 464 rwhp/416 tq with this cam, Fast LSX 102 intake, Peak Speedshop ported throttle body, Halltech Stinger cold air intake, Kooks 1.75" long tube headers. After the original tune by American Intense Racing and my subsequent road tuning with HP Tuners and an installed wideband O2 sensor, this car was so docile and fun to drive! Spin's cam specs are definitely worth doing!
Wicked news, thanks for the reply.
Do you remember what lobe bullet used for the intake and exhaust?

Last edited by Matt Zed; 03-20-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:17 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

You can probably order it from Cam Motion, with those specs and be just fine. When you have "milder or softer" lobes you may have to order more duration or lift to equal the amount of air a more aggressive lobe can move. Example: Comp's 230 degree XFI lobe has 154* duration at .2" of lobe lift. Their milder, smoother 230* LXL lobe only has 151* of duration at .2" lift. You'd probably need 3* more duration on the LXL lobed cam to equal the XFI. I've had two of Comp's LXL lobed cams and they ran as advertised. Smooth and quiet.

I'd bet the power potential wouldn't be that much different. Yeah, you might lose a dab, but you'd gain a dab in drivability. You can look at this stuff in Comp's master lobe catalog. http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Ca...terCatalog.pdf The XFI lobes are on page 23. I just put together my LS3 build that included a 226/234 115lsa .620 lift Cam Motion cam. With Tx Speed ported stock heads, ported and rod modded intake manifold. slight bump in compression ratio, it made a little over 500 at the wheels. At 0* of overlap, it drives real nice too.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Matt Zed
Racer

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You can probably order it from Cam Motion, with those specs and be just fine. When you have "milder or softer" lobes you may have to order more duration or lift to equal the amount of air a more aggressive lobe can move. Example: Comp's 230 degree XFI lobe has 154* duration at .2" of lobe lift. Their milder, smoother 230* LXL lobe only has 151* of duration at .2" lift. You'd probably need 3* more duration on the LXL lobed cam to equal the XFI. I've had two of Comp's LXL lobed cams and they ran as advertised. Smooth and quiet.

I'd bet the power potential wouldn't be that much different. Yeah, you might lose a dab, but you'd gain a dab in drivability. You can look at this stuff in Comp's master lobe catalog. http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Ca...terCatalog.pdf The XFI lobes are on page 23. I just put together my LS3 build that included a 226/234 115lsa .620 lift Cam Motion cam. With Tx Speed ported stock heads, ported and rod modded intake manifold. slight bump in compression ratio, it made a little over 500 at the wheels. At 0* of overlap, it drives real nice too.
You nailed exactly what I was getting at and looking for. Wow so it sounds like a 233° intake duration would be needed with the milder lobes if I'm understanding this right.

I may just end up going with the latest lobed equivalent of the Eps lobed 230 238 .600 .615 113+2 as it was also proven and I'm assuming the Eps lobes are milder than xfi/xer.

Get notified of new replies

To 230 234 Spin grind on the latest lobes

Quick Reply: 230 234 Spin grind on the latest lobes