C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to turn my stock C6 into a Street Monster

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 04:56 PM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Never heard of this. Sounds of what I am seeking for sure
Originally Posted by JerriVette
Id just try a COW booster mod thats like 200 dollars...remaps the electrinic throttle and makes you already capable sports car that tops out at 186 mph much more responsive, contact corvettes of westchester for his upload procedure...takes about ten minutes tops and your corvette will really feel more alive...try that first ...

then if you still want a faster more powerful car...forget about all the piecemeal mods...just slap a supercharger on your car...maybe buy used and call it a day...i think i see the used supercharger kits run from 3500 to five grand...

i personally prefer the little edlebrock kits...i think you can brand new ones installed for like 8 grand...

just do the basic kit without the fuel pump change and youll end up with an utterly reliable 550 flywheel hp...that shouldnt over stress the rest of your drivetrain...

probably last another 100k miles with just adding gas and tires...

550 flywheel horsepower is more than enough on a 12 year old car...

go much more than that and the rest of the car could fall apart around you over time ...and that can be a real PIA..

just my two cents...consider doing the COW booster first....for 200...@nd ten minute install...you might find thats all you really wanted...

thats what I did and it satisfied my itch...

i didnt really need more hp...i just wanted it to be more intuitive and responsive to my driving.

it worked...i know have put on 131k carefree utterly reliable miles...

the car will probably go another 100k miles with just changing the oil and adding tires every 20k miles.

i just had a friend of mine drive my corvette up in and around the seven lakes here...he just bought a convertible corvette but he was over and i threw him the keys...two hours later up and around bear mountain...he was throughly impressed with the corvette c6 as I described to you...

cow booster from corvettes of westchester is $200 bucks and installs in less than 10 minutes and makes the c6 corvette a riot to drive...

good luck and again...just something to consider
Old 04-15-2019, 05:00 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

If you're looking into a throttle controller (like the COW booster), also consider the Vitesse throttle controller. You can pick one up used for $100-150 and it has like 15 different settings. I have one and I love it. I have not tried the Cow booster but from what I understand it is not adjustable, but people do tend to praise it.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:10 AM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Wouldn’t think a throttle tuner would be better then having a guy actually tune the car
Old 04-16-2019, 02:51 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

It's not.

The car "feels" faster with a booster but it's not. All it does is make the pedal more linear meaning you press down 25% and get close to 25% throttle where the stock configuration has it being much of a softer setting.

People did the same thing with the cable driven throttle bodies on LS1 F-Bodies. Certain years ramped faster making the car feel faster. It doesn't make the car any faster.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:03 PM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Gotcha makes sense
Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
It's not.

The car "feels" faster with a booster but it's not. All it does is make the pedal more linear meaning you press down 25% and get close to 25% throttle where the stock configuration has it being much of a softer setting.

People did the same thing with the cable driven throttle bodies on LS1 F-Bodies. Certain years ramped faster making the car feel faster. It doesn't make the car any faster.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:16 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I have done many mods on my past three corvettes....

ive done pcm tunes, cams, headers, 373 getrag gears, air intakes, throttle bodies...you name it ive tried in on several of my three corvettes...

I am stating the most fun, the least difficult to deal with, the most reliable, the most interactive, the most satisfying has been the little COW booster.

we all have cars capable of 186 mph or 190 mph stock. Zero to sixty in 4 seconds...

do we really need more power? No what we are looking for as we do the various mods is a vehicle that is more reactive to our driver inputs...

lean into the throttle and feel the car immediately accelerate...thats the feeling many of is are after.

if you are racing at the track then a supercharger or heads and cam etc...but for the street, for the mountain passes...i suggest at the very least starting off with tje cow booster...

if you try it and dont like it I believe Chuck refunds your money ...i dont know of anyone who asked to have it removed amd a refund...

the c6 stock with 400 or 436 hp is fast enough....

im not saying dont get a supercharger or cams etc, or a tune or anything. Im suggesting for 99 percent of us...its the immediate reaction...the immediate communication, the direct response with the vehicle to our thoughts is what we are after...

buy the $100 or $200 cow booster first...you may find the remapping of the throttle positioning sensor is all you really need...

its a hoot...you dont realize how fast our corvettes are stock with the way gm dumbed down the first 25 percent of the throttle to keep the lawyers happy when a malibu owner test drives a corvette for the first time...

ask for 25 percent of the throttle on a 436 hp car and get 25 percent of actual throttle and lo and behold you will be amazed what strong performance vehicles we own..

if hou were local I d have you test drive my 132k mile purchased since new c6 z51 manual.

sure i eventually put a tune and an air intake in...meh...the real kick in the pants was the cow booster.

my last corvette i did cam, headers, gears, and what it was missing is the awesome throttle response the cow booster offers..

consider my insights and make your own decision...for a hundred or 200 dollars installed and installation takes maybe ten minutes...if Im right i saved you thousands...

i have twenty years of corvette ownership...over a quarter of a million miles driven in my three corvettes that I ise as daily drivers..

Our cars stock do zero to sixty in four seconds and top out at 190 mph...what kost of us are looking for is immediate communication to throttle inputs....

good luck deciding and if you are in the tri state NY area...buy me a cup of coffee and we can go for a test drive up around bear mountain or the seven lakes...one test drive behind the wheel and you ll understand exactly what Im saying.

im always amazed its the guys who never test drove a corvette with this mod are always the ones saying why its not really a great mod....and its always the guys who have it in their car that are raving about it...

Do tje cow booster as the first mod...it probably will be your favorite mod ever.

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-17-2019 at 06:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:05 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

My biggest gripe is the quiet exhaust. Full exhaust and a tune. Fixes the sound issue, gives more power, and you can work on that throttle response in the tune.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 04-17-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:26 PM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Honestly the best answer and explanation for sure. I have to say I am thinking about trying it for sure and I agree the exhaust is too quiet also so headers and I take and see what I can do but this was very insightful

ive done pcm tunes, cams, headers, 373 getrag gears, air intakes, throttle bodies...you name it ive tried in on several of my three corvettes...

I am stating the most fun, the least difficult to deal with, the most reliable, the most interactive, the most satisfying has been the little COW booster.

we all have cars capable of 186 mph or 190 mph stock. Zero to sixty in 4 seconds...

do we really need more power? No what we are looking for as we do the various mods is a vehicle that is more reactive to our driver inputs...

lean into the throttle and feel the car immediately accelerate...thats the feeling many of is are after.

if you are racing at the track then a supercharger or heads and cam etc...but for the street, for the mountain passes...i suggest at the very least starting off with tje cow booster...

if you try it and dont like it I believe Chuck refunds your money ...i dont know of anyone who asked to have it removed amd a refund...

im not saying dont get a supercharger or cams etc, or a tune or anything. Im suggesting for 99 percent of us...its the immediate reaction...the immediate communication, the direct response with the vehicle to our thoughts is what we are after...

buy the $100 or $200 cow booster first...you may find the remapping of the throttle positioning sensor is all you really need...

its a hoot...you dont realize how fast our corvettes are stock with the way gm dumbed down the first 25 percent of the throttle to keep the lawyers happy when a malibu owner test drives a corvette for the first time...

ask for 25 percent of the throttle on a 436 hp car and get 25 percent of actual throttle and lo and behold you will be amazed what strong performance vehicles we own..

if hou were local I d have you test drive my 132k mile purchased since new c6 z51 manual.

sure i eventually put a tune and an air intake in...meh...the real kick in the pants was the cow booster.

my last corvette i did cam, headers, gears, and what it was missing is the awesome throttle response the cow booster offers..

consider my insights and make your own decision...for a hundred or 200 dollars installed and installation takes maybe ten minutes...if Im right i saved you thousands...

i have twenty years of corvette ownership...over a quarter of a million miles driven in my three corvettes that I ise as daily drivers..

Our cars stock do zero to sixty in four seconds and top out at 190 mph...what kost of us are looking for is immediate communication to throttle inputs....

good luck deciding and if you are in the tri state NY area...buy me a cup of coffee and we can go for a test drive up around bear mountain or the seven lakes...one test drive behind the wheel and you ll understand exactly what Im saying.

im always amazed its the guys who never test drove a corvette with this mod are always the ones saying why its not really a great mod....and its always the guys who have it in their car that are raving about it...

Do tje cow booster as the first mod...it probably will be your favorite mod ever.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:54 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

400-436 HP is enough? That's a ridiculous statement.

How is an LS1 that goes 0-60 under 5 seconds, low 13s high 12s in the quarter, and 175 mph top speed not fast enough?

Rhetorical question. Hell, a mid 80s goes damn near triple the 55 sign yet you choose a car with 150+ more HP? Ha!

Get a real tune and skip the COW booster so you can clean up the fueling and work on the throttle. Why pay for a booster when you can do the same thing during the tuning process which does not add anything to the cost to tune?
Old 04-17-2019, 08:39 PM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Good point

How is an LS1 that goes 0-60 under 5 seconds, low 13s high 12s in the quarter, and 175 mph top speed not fast enough?

Rhetorical question. Hell, a mid 80s goes damn near triple the 55 sign yet you choose a car with 150+ more HP? Ha!

Get a real tune and skip the COW booster so you can clean up the fueling and work on the throttle. Why pay for a booster when you can do the same thing during the tuning process which does not add anything to the cost to tune?
Old 04-17-2019, 08:56 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Here is my experience.

First I installed intake and exhaust the week I bought the car. It sounded mean but didn't help much as far as power.

Then I installed a Vitesse throttle controller. I loved the enhanced throttle response and it was a very worthwhile purchase. I drove it that way for a few months before I wanted a bit more power.

Then I added headers, a vmaxx throttle body and ordered a diablosport tuner with a Diablew email tune. Now it's starting to feel like I think a Corvette should.

About six months after that I wanted to bump it up again. I added a BTR stage 2 cam and a dyno tune for 468rwhp. We are getting somewhere now!

That was last summer. Right now it's under modification yet again. Adding a AA supercharger and supporting mods, AlkyControl meth kit, McCleod clutch and obviously a fresh tune after.

If you have the bug for a powerful car you're going to end up wanting more than any booster, throttle controller or email tune can offer.

I'm not saying the C6 isn't a beast out of the factory, it's a mean car. But since you're asking the question I'd say you're on a quest for more speed.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Not sure what this "REAL TUNE" stuff is.....

************************* Post edited ************

Having spoke with TLS_Addict it appears he meant nothing by his post and I believe I jumped the gun here.

I've retracted my comments and would appreciate everyone who quoted it doing the same.

We had a very civilized PM exchange and I'm sorry if I over-reacted to his post.

Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 04-18-2019 at 08:22 PM.
theandrewo (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 04:15 AM
BagarN
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think I know what you talking about.

I come from the motorcycle scene and last year I tried my friends S1000RR. Started out in street mode and the bike was really fast and easy to ride, pulled over and switched to slick mode (made for trackday with slick tires) and the bike was WICKED! The throttle was super sensitive and it pulled like crazy as soon as you touched the throttle, felt like the bike was on steroids. Great fun.

Would love to try a Corvette with the cow booster mod.

Happy Hollidays
The following 2 users liked this post by BagarN:
Chuck CoW (04-18-2019), JerriVette (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 05:18 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

If the throttle controller is not enough, do whatever intake modifications are needed for an LS2 (sorry, I have an LS3 so I’m not well versed on what LS2s need), headers and a tune. Try this first before getting a cam. It may be all you want. A 400ish wheel hp, 3200 lbs car is enough power to be fun. It may not be enough for you but this is the level of keeping it with stock-like driveability. This should also easily fit in your budget.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:48 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
TLS is not just a handsome man but from what I hear is a thorough and gentle lover.

Chuck CoW
Thank you. It's nice to be recognized for my accomplishments. It is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 04-18-2019 at 08:41 PM.
theandrewo (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 03:32 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Everyone. Apparently my wee wee is too tiny and Chuck's tampon was put in sideways. I am tying a weight on mine as we speak and Chuck is swapping to pads. All is good going forward.

Now back to your regularly scheduled activities.
BlackMamba89 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 08:21 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default ************************* Post edited ************

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW

Having spoke with TLS_Addict it appears he meant nothing by his post and I believe I jumped the gun here.

I've retracted my comments and would appreciate everyone who quoted it doing the same.

We had a very civilized PM exchange and I'm sorry if I over-reacted to his post.

Chuck CoW

Thank you.
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 04-18-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How to turn my stock C6 into a Street Monster

Old 04-18-2019, 09:09 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

Until you become educated. Such a crock of ****.
Garymorris (05-01-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 09:20 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Wow... 578 CF posts....

Originally Posted by Podium
Until you become educated. Such a crock of ****.
Wow... 578 CF posts....

And likely 500 mostly inappropriate posts about me....

No apology here for this guy.... I'm pretty confident this was intended to be an insult.

You're name is Dick? Right?

Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 04-18-2019 at 09:20 PM.
JerriVette (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck cow
wow... 578 cf posts....

And likely 500 mostly inappropriate posts about me....

No apology here for this guy.... I'm pretty confident this was intended to be an insult.

You're name is dick? Right?

Chuck cow
lol.

Quick Reply: How to turn my stock C6 into a Street Monster