C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody installed MSD DynaForce 5096 starter?

Old 05-16-2019, 12:24 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Has anybody installed MSD DynaForce 5096 starter?

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a dynaforce starter (this is the model here: https://www.holley.com/products/elec...ers/parts/5096) and it seems to me that I am going to have to modify my wiring harness to hook up to it because the connector on the back for the ignition wire is different than the stock. See the following photos:

Notice how there is no plug for the ignition wire

Notice how there is a plug for the ignition wire circled in red (ignore the arrow, this picture was taken for another purpose)

I believe I am going to have to modify my wiring harness to make this work right? what is the easiest way for me to do that? Is there a female connector that I can buy that converts the male ignition connector into something that I can just bolt directly to the MSD starter? That would be the easiest for me.

Last edited by freaknbigpanda; 05-16-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:05 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Bump does anybody know what I need to buy to install this starter?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

One thing you need to be aware of is the MSD starter is bigger than the stock one and can cause header clearance issues depending on the brand of header.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:32 AM
Chomper
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have this starter on my car. Hands down LOVE it. I cut the factory connector and just used an eyelet connector. The starter has 3 clocking positions. I did not have any clearance issues with 1 7/8 Kooks headers. Recently switched to 2" stepped to 2.125" 3.5" American Racing Headers and they do not clear. However the starter is so good I chose to "massage" the header to make it work. The solenoid gets close to the coolant plug on a lsx block.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-01-2019, 10:16 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Originally Posted by Chomper
I have this starter on my car. Hands down LOVE it. I cut the factory connector and just used an eyelet connector. The starter has 3 clocking positions. I did not have any clearance issues with 1 7/8 Kooks headers. Recently switched to 2" stepped to 2.125" 3.5" American Racing Headers and they do not clear. However the starter is so good I chose to "massage" the header to make it work. The solenoid gets close to the coolant plug on a lsx block.

Hope this helps!
This helps a lot! Thanks!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:16 PM
freaknbigpanda
Pro

Originally Posted by double06
One thing you need to be aware of is the MSD starter is bigger than the stock one and can cause header clearance issues depending on the brand of header.
Yeah I did know that, I am just using stock headers so I should be good to go. But we will see.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:33 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Hey chomper, does the wire that's in the harness from the factory go to the small post on the MSD? I realize the power goes to the larger post.

just clarifying before I buy one for my car.

OP---any feedback on this starter since installing ?

Thanks guys

Get notified of new replies

To Has anybody installed MSD DynaForce 5096 starter?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anybody installed MSD DynaForce 5096 starter?