C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compressor Clutch Fell Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:06 PM
Bingo002
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Compressor Clutch Fell Off

Since I've had my car, the HVAC has always not worked properly. I can turn the blower up but not down (until a key cycle), the temperature is basically binary, and the blend door actuator doesn't function properly even after I replaced it and the air only comes from the front four vents. The compressor clutch has made noise since I owned the car (the past 6k miles) but since I though it was just cabin blower noise, I didn't think much of it. Yesterday, my car decided it wanted to be more racecar, and the compressor clutch came off (I found it sitting on my undertray). Since that's happened, obviously the AC no longer works at all, and the driver side air only blows heat no matter what temp I set it to (the HVAC system is off, but some air still comes through the vents as normal and it's rather uncomfortable in the summer).

Now, a couple questions.
1. Would the car have been able to detect an issue with the comp clutch and throw itself into a (HVAC) limp mode? I know the clutch is electronic, I'm wondering if the car has that diagnostic capability.
2. Is it possible to re-attach the clutch or is it safe to assume that the input shaft is screwed? What's a decent way to check?

I'm trying to avoid replacing the compressor since the job sounds like hell and it still put out cold air until the clutch went.
Any assistance is appreciated.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:19 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

When the clutch was disconnected on mine it didn't do anything odd, other than (obviously) not work... so that shouldn't stop it from putting the blend door all the way to "cold" or at least "not hot".

You can replace just the clutch if the shaft on the compressor isn't screwed up
Old 05-22-2019, 12:33 AM
jonjoy
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

lets see the AC didn't work very well before and now the clutch fell off, me? NEW compressor.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:46 PM
Bingo002
Instructor

How does the clutch actually attach to the shaft on the comp? The shaft has splines, but the clutch that fell off doesn't, just a 1/2" diameter slot with a 1/4" diameter hole at the end. I'm trying to figure out if I can replace just the clutch, but if I can't, is the comp the same on the LS2/3 as it is on the LS7, or is it different for the dry-sump engines?

Also @jonjoy, I know it wasn't clear in the original post, but the compressor worked fine until the clutch fell off. The HVAC issues the car has are electrical, the system did still put out cold air.

Last edited by Bingo002; 06-04-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:42 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/acdelc...f514413f11405&

Check out the pics here of the clutch components
Old 07-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Bingo002
Instructor

Just to follow up, I figured out why my compressor clutch fell off...

Something rather large and heavy must've had a slight disagreement with the compressor pulley. The pulley had about 1/4" play (wiggle) which over time took out the clutch and sheared the bolt holding in on. Fun times.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:37 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Wow!

Get notified of new replies

To Compressor Clutch Fell Off

Quick Reply: Compressor Clutch Fell Off