C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden Fuel Pump Whine

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 10:00 PM
coalshark
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden Fuel Pump Whine

My C6 LS3 is taking us on a road trip through 3 states right now and after a long day of driving I noticed the fuel pump noticeably humming. In past GM vehicles I've had this and it was nothing, but my Vette was silent until today. Is this a red flag? I don't want to lose the pump in the middle of nowhere on a tight schedule.

32k miles on it. No codes or issues as of yet.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:54 PM
coalshark
7th Gear

Update:

Filled the tank from 1/2 and the fuel pump noise subsided. Drove from Santa Fe to Colorado and around there for 2 days with no issues. Drove from Colorado to Amarillo and the following morning the car wouldn't start. Cranked strong but wasn't catching. Swapped fuel pump relay for another one and it fired right up. Made it to just outside of Austin where I had to fill up and it died shortly after starting it at the gas station. Again, flipped around relays, and it fired up.

Now I'm home, the car is as hot as it can safely be, and it's idling a little lopey and makes me a little worried it'll die while idling eventually.

Drives great with no stuttering at any throttle position. I'm real confused. Searched and found 05s seemed to burn up relays from bad wiring in the harness. Would this be applicable to a 12? I've never had this issue until putting the car through the heat gauntlet of driving 30 hours round trip through TX/NM/CO.

Last edited by coalshark; 07-14-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:22 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Wouldn’t think a relay issue would make a pump whine and and a suddenly noisy pump making noise it hadn’t before is certainly a red flag and I would get it checked out by a competent mechanic and I would say it likely needs a new. My Mustang GT back in the day had similar fuel pump issues and twice needed to be replaced.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:46 PM
coalshark
7th Gear

Drove around town today without issue, until on my way home I stopped to run an errand, got in the car and started it and it was running really rough...but didn't die. Popped the hood, swapped relays again and it fired up with no issues.

I cannot figure out why this fixes the problems. The relays aren't dead because where I'm swapping them into is unaffected and still functions. My best guess is by removing and replacing the relay I'm possibly fixing a bad connection in the terminals or resetting something.

Get notified of new replies

To Sudden Fuel Pump Whine

Quick Reply: Sudden Fuel Pump Whine