C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed engineering headers? Anyone running them need help with new axel back

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 03:12 PM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Speed engineering headers? Anyone running them need help with new axel back

Well just thought about it my axel back is a 3i ch system and all my exhaust is stock Will be getting my axel back mid August and don’t think it will fit so my question is It I get the speed engineering headers cheap like 500 bucks is it good or should I just wait and save money and put tsp or something on. Or can I put the 3i ch exhaust on my stock pipes?
Old 07-21-2019, 02:18 AM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Anyone ?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:53 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

A lot of people have used the speed engineering headers. They will connect to a 3” axle back. Are you A6 or M6?
Old 07-21-2019, 12:29 PM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Originally Posted by farmington
A lot of people have used the speed engineering headers. They will connect to a 3” axle back. Are you A6 or M6?
A6 considering trying thrm
Old 07-21-2019, 01:03 PM
farmington
Safety Car

I’m going to use them when I do headers.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:08 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Just purchased a set a couple of weeks ago.Mine came with 2 1/2" and 3" exhaust sections to fit both size axle back exhausts!I was really impressed with the quality and appearance.Will find out about the fitment in a few days.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:46 PM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Originally Posted by jamieo
Just purchased a set a couple of weeks ago.Mine came with 2 1/2" and 3" exhaust sections to fit both size axle back exhausts!I was really impressed with the quality and appearance.Will find out about the fitment in a few days.
That’s the only thing bad I have heard is the fitment isn’t the best , that and they are thin and will split over time.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:04 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Ran their headers on a ls1 Camaro. Never a problem. Some people think if you don’t overpay for Kooks or ARH, you are making a mistake. Personally I think they are making the mistake.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 PM
Owenco
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed them w/o cats a couple months ago on my m6 LS2 vette. It comes with both the 3" and stock 2.5" muffler connection pipes. For me, the fitment required bashing in primaries on both sides to clear the bellhousing, which the owner told me was not normal...I don't know, so maybe I got a bad batch or something. But they certainly made power. I gained 22rwhp over a factory full 3"catted z06 system. Would I recommend? Yes, if you get a set that don't need bashed in to fit. BUT, I will suggest getting some quality preformed 3" lap style band clamps instead of the provided junky clamps so you won't have leaks. If they crack in a couple years, who cares, buy another set or just re-weld them. No way I'm spending 2k on a system that does the same thing.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:05 PM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I used a set of Hinson headers for my LS3 Vette. Fit like a glove, no need to dent ANYTHING. They also come coated. I’d recommend taking a look at them. I wasn’t able to use their X-pipe because of the cat-back I’m using. I didn’t do a baseline pull but the car is stock other than the headers, no cats and a Vararam ram air kit. 3 pulls on a dyno got me 434,435 & 436 hp with 470-480 torque. I had it “street tuned” by a tuner who used to work at a local speed shop.

Last edited by Boostedsvt; 07-21-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,313 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostedsvt
I used a set of Hinson headers for my LS3 Vette. Fit like a glove, no need to dent ANYTHING. They also come coated. I’d recommend taking a look at them. I wasn’t able to use their X-pipe because of the cat-back I’m using. I didn’t do a baseline pull but the car is stock other than the headers, no cats and a Vararam ram air kit. 3 pulls on a dyno got me 434,435 & 436 hp with 470-480 torque. I had it “street tuned” by a tuner who used to work at a local speed shop.
Nice numbers. What are your mods?
Old 07-22-2019, 04:07 AM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

What kind of price are we talking
Old 07-22-2019, 04:59 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by southofHoustonVette
What kind of price are we talking
Headers with the X-pipe is $829, I think it was $500ish without the X. When I did it of course I did it right, all new GM manifold bolts, GM plug wires, GM manifold gaskets, O2 extensions, Heat sleeves for the plug wires, heat sleeves for the O2 extensions, the tunnel plate heat shields with the side pieces, a trip to the exhaust shop and a custom street tune. It was $1500ish for everything. Still less than just the parts for one of the big brands. The black ceramic coating with black heat sleeves on the plug wires makes the installation look so clean too. Add in the Vararam that I did at the same time and was still under $2k

Old 07-22-2019, 06:46 AM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Headers with the X-pipe is $829, I think it was $500ish without the X. When I did it of course I did it right, all new GM manifold bolts, GM plug wires, GM manifold gaskets, O2 extensions, Heat sleeves for the plug wires, heat sleeves for the O2 extensions, the tunnel plate heat shields with the side pieces, a trip to the exhaust shop and a custom street tune. It was $1500ish for everything. Still less than just the parts for one of the big brands. The black ceramic coating with black heat sleeves on the plug wires makes the installation look so clean too. Add in the Vararam that I did at the same time and was still under $2k

Awesome
Old 07-22-2019, 04:16 PM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

With me saving money for a new house I don’t want to dip into my savings too much to just instal some headers and I take and tune right now. If I could get the axel back installed on the stock setup I would like that for now

Get notified of new replies

To Speed engineering headers? Anyone running them need help with new axel back

Quick Reply: Speed engineering headers? Anyone running them need help with new axel back