C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The advance of engine technology

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 04:31 AM
64_365
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: The advance of engine technology (need-for-speed)

And there's plenty of Democrats that can do the same. ;)

There may be some Dems here but they are seriously outnumbered. Of course, that's because Corvette owners, as a group, are achievers, as opposed to underachievers who tend to rely on the government cheese. While the general population has about the same number of D's as R's , this site is no where near 50/50.

[Modified by need-for-speed, 2:37 AM 2/8/2004]
You've taken a poll of the forum membership I'm sure, so you can back up your motor mouth? A typical Republican remark (especially those from Texas): "Ah speaks for everyone here!".

Are you implying that all Democrats are on welfare? :rolleyes: Care to make any racist statements while you're at it?

Keep on insulting people that aren't Republicans, you'll win a lot of folks over to your side that way! :lolg:

[Modified by 64_365, 3:34 AM 2/8/2004]

[Modified by 64_365, 3:44 AM 2/8/2004]
Old 02-08-2004, 01:19 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Re: The advance of engine technology (64_365)

You've taken a poll of the forum membership I'm sure, so you can back up your motor mouth? A typical Republican remark (especially those from Texas): "Ah speaks for everyone here!".
Ohh, I see I've struck a nerve. eh? You're calling me names? Not only does that prove how desparate you are for material, it is a violation of Corvetteforum rules. Not, sure, but I would also think that insulting one's home state would be a violation of forum rules as well. Why would you resort to insulting Texas? Who said anything about Arkansas? :confused: I used to live in Searcy, so I won''t insult the state of Arkansas. Besides, I'm not as desperate for material as you are. I don't need to take a poll. I read the forum. I'm quite confident that I'm right (in more ways than one ;) ). Why don't you take one and prove me wrong? Have you taken a pole to backup your claims of what makes a good Republican or are you just suffering from diarhea of the mouth?
Are you implying that all Democrats are on welfare? :rolleyes:
Ah, another nerve. :rofl: Answer-no. However, if I did take a poll on the Welfareloversforum.com, I feel quite confident that your side would be in the majority. Do you dispute that teach? I suspect that welfare recipients who vote, tend to vote for your party. Do you not agree?
Keep on insulting people that aren't Republicans, you'll win a lot of folks over to your side that way!

[Modified by 64_365, 3:34 AM 2/8/2004]

[Modified by 64_365, 3:44 AM 2/8/2004][/QUOTE]

What do you call the quote from yourself below, comrade ? Winning people over to your side? Gee, now, who was it that fired the first shot? Please provide evidence of who hurled the first political insult if it wasn't you. Otherwise, your silent acknowledgement on this particular aspect of the conversation will be noted as admission of defeat. If you prefer to hide where you can throw unchallenged insults at Republicans, I suggest you return to the teachers lounge. Oh, and here is your innocent statement:
Some on this forum love to line up behind Chevrolet and whatever they do apparently becomes the greatest thing (these same people probably make good Republicans
And where did the words below come from? Oh, I forgot, it came from the "debate in a vacuum" in the teacher's lounge.
Care to make any racist statements while you're at it?
Racism ??:lolg: Who said anything about race? why don't you throw in wife beating while you're at it ? :lol: Man you are desperate :troll :hat This is like debating with Julia Roberts.

[Modified by need-for-speed, 1:52 PM 2/8/2004]
Old 02-08-2004, 06:11 PM
64_365
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it's time to take this debate to the IM level and off this forum.

:boxing
Old 02-08-2004, 07:16 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Brought it on ! :boxing
Old 02-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Since that book was written, the Northstar engine has been adapted for use in Cadillac's flagship, the XLR. GM's wizards get 320 bhp out of a mere 4.6L for a car that's probably a little on the detuned side for your average Cadillac owner. That's 70.1 bhp/liter to 71.5 bhp/liter for the LS6.
The power output has no bearing on the point I added. The GM team could not 'package-protect' the Northstar engine because it would not fit under the C5's hood. Like most OHC engines, it is not as compact as a cam-in-block engine of close to the same displacement.

Oh yeah, the XLR's Northstar engine has continuously variable valve timing.
Not in the sense that would be the automotive powertrain engineer's Holy Grail. The cam phasers allow the system to control the intake-side and exhaust-side separately. That's better than traditional fixed cams, but is still limited by the cam lobe profile, which is fixed. Though Cadillac calls the system 'continuously variable', it's not. It's just less limited than a traditional fixed single cam. True continuous/infinitely-variable timing has to wait for electronic actuation.

It is a nice system, though. A real advance for GM.

As another comparative note, the Northstar Gen II shed its EGR valve. The LS1 never had an EGR valve, and now, the LS2 has dropped the AIR system. So in this respect, the GenIII/IV cam-in-block has advanced further than the GenI/II Northstar.

Northstar is a nice powerplant. But it is not superior to the GenIII/IV smallblock. It's just different.

======================================== ========

On another note...you guys play nice in IM. You can still get banned for IM conversations if it gets too nasty/harassing and one person complains to Admin.

And yeah, the Forum has been polled numerous times, at least twice a year, and we're overwhelmingly conservative, about 91%. Don't even look over in P&C if you're a Democrat (or even think of yourself as a moderate) unless you're ready to stand in front of a flamethrower. :cheers:

[Modified by Matt Black, 6:25 PM 2/8/2004]
Old 02-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: The advance of engine technology (Matt Black)

In other news, two men were arrested today for chucking OHC and OHV engines at each other when a political discussion went very, very bad.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:27 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Default Re: The advance of engine technology (Scissors)

I thought it was a rotary engine :lolg:
Old 02-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

I thought it was a rotary engine :lolg:
The rotary engine guy, being the efficient sort, instead decided to stay out of it and actually go for a drive.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Sanctuary
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: The advance of engine technology (Scissors)

I'm still waiting for poppet valve guy to turn up, or maybe gas turbine man? :lol:
Old 02-09-2004, 08:51 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: The advance of engine technology (Sanctuary)

I'm still waiting for poppet valve guy to turn up
Huh? All modern reciprocating engines have poppet valves. Perhaps you were thinking of sleeve valves, but most of the guys who might remember them have gone off to the happy hunting grounds.

Duke
Old 03-06-2004, 11:40 AM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: The advance of engine technology (SWCDuke)

i had a rental 3.8 supercharged pontiac GTP while in Fla for the NASCAR races. i also own a 3.8 impala without the supercharger and there is a BIG difference in power output. the GTP requires premium fuel vs regular in the impala and the milage is not as good but the power out makes the GTP more fun to drive. :cheers: a supercharger on a a GEN 4 C-6 engine would be wild and if i decide to keep my C-6 for a few more years more than what i do normally i may try a SC on it. the nice thing about a SC is that just changing the SC pulley size can add more HP i have dynoed some SC 510 ci engines i have built for boats and just changing the pulley to add more boost can make quite a difference in HP
For those of you who still consider pushrod engines to be "obsolete" or "old tech", consider the following brief history.

Certainly by the late eighties when the Corvette's L-98 engine produced a whopping 250 HP from 350 CID, the last nail in the coffin of pushrod technology had been pounded in, right?

I had given up years before (as exemplified by my purchase of a Cosworth Vega in 1976), and saw the elegance of the modern narrow valve angle reincarnation of the four valve DOHC head that was first laid out by Keith Duckworth in the late sixties. The centrally located spark plug and compact combustion chamber, with just modest quench zones compared to the wedge chamber in typical OHV V-8s, yielded both excellent thermal efficiency, detonation resistance, and low "engine out" emissions, and the cylinder head flow numbers are what guys only dream about.

The actual mechanical complexity of the layout was minimized with the single piece cam carrier with integral cam bearings and belt driven cams. In fact, there are considerably fewer moving parts per valve than on a pushrod design. In engineering, simplicity and elegance usually go hand in hand.

Then GM threw a fly in the ointment by developing the LT1 V-8 in the early nineties. In one fell swoop, power increased 20 percent, and the new LT1 had higher net specific output (HP/CID) than any previous small block V-8. Not resting on their laurels, they went on to develop the LT4, LS1, LS6, and now the LS2 to be followed in the not too distant future by the LS7, which will undoubtedly raise the bar for specific output while maintaining the pushrod V-8's low internal friction for miserly fuel consumption, light weight, small package volume, and high torque with outstanding torque bandwidth that flows from being able to package more displacement per unit mass and volume than DOHC designs.

In short, GM keeps REINVENTING the pushrod V-8, which keeps forcing me to redefine what "high tech" means. The LS7's peak output is expected to be DOUBLE the L-98 (with better EPA fuel economy), in a package that is lighter and shorter in length and height with only a slight increase in width, and given the expected increase in displacement this will represent a specific output increase of close to 80 percent!

If any of you out there are with GM Powertrain, I offer my hearty congratulations for the job you have done, and hope you keep up the great work in the future. :flag

Duke

[Modified by SWCDuke, 7:18 PM 1/17/2004]

[Modified by clem zahrobsky, 11:44 AM 3/6/2004]
Old 03-09-2004, 10:16 AM
91HARDTOP
Instructor

I think a lot of people here have missed a major piece of the puzzle. There is a lot of talk about displacement. Engines are air pumps. The amount of air pumped through an engine is its displacement (displaced air). If you take an air pump and feed a second air pump faster than its normal suction would allow it you increase the air displaced through the pumps or displacement. A 4.6 DOHC with supercharger from the 03/04 Cobra running at 8 PSI displaces 7.1 liters of air.

Pushrods were developed for remote activation of the vavles from an easier to package location for the cam/cams. This created lower weight in the valve train area and a smaller package. (early 1900s)

The LS1/LS6 motors get significantly better fuel mileage than the 4.6/5.4 Ford modular motors and the emissions are less on the LS1/LS6 motors also. Look at the number of catalytic converters on the modulars. Some have 4 converters to meet emissions and others have had 6.(Tbird 4.6 2V)
Old 03-09-2004, 07:30 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

duke dyno testing on a 45 degree angle was done back in the 70 to help get the correct fuel distribution in race engine because of the "G" forces in the turns at daytona. a engine was dynoed straight up and went to daytona to test and because of the "G" forces in the turns the 8 plugs looked like they came out of 8 different engines. :chevy
Old 03-10-2004, 07:00 AM
djhatz
Heel & Toe

Default Re: The advance of engine technology (clem zahrobsky)

You guys want to talk about some serious engine technology?
Granted the engines are only 1 liter, you have to admit,
nothing else comes close to the power/size ratio of these
stock/natural aspirated engines put out.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/18feb...maha2004r1.htm

honda/suzuki/kaw's liter bikes also put out about the same power.

[Modified by djhatz, 12:07 PM 3/10/2004]
Old 03-10-2004, 08:47 AM
91HARDTOP
Instructor

Default Re: The advance of engine technology (djhatz)

They are too peaky for a passenger car though. Put the 180hp motor you have in the article in a Honda 4 door passenger car that currently has 180hp for a comparison. It would not be able to make it out of the driveway due to the lack of torque.
http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/tlr_dyno.htm
Old 03-10-2004, 09:30 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: The advance of engine technology (djhatz)

for 10,599, the R-1 is hard to beat :eek:
Old 03-10-2004, 07:51 PM
msuc5vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: The advance of engine technology (DngrZne)

The Corvette Engine is obsolete in light of Fords supercharged 4.6 and 5.4.
Ironic...

I would very much disagree. Ford's use of a supercharger is an attempt to make up for their engines' shortcomings. Bolt a supercharger on an LS1, LS6 or LS2 and compare the numbers you get. When you have to resort to the use of forced induction to compete with cars that are N/A and still are at a performance disadvantage that tells me there is something seriously wrong with your design.
:withstupid:

But if you actually put a blower on a Corvette the Ford guys will say "yeah but yours is supercharged"

Quick Reply: The advance of engine technology