C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the LS2 instantly set A/F ratio at WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 07:15 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Does the LS2 instantly set A/F ratio at WOT?

The LS1 did not.
anyone know?
Old 01-18-2004, 11:12 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Does the LS2 instantly set A/F ratio at WOT? (Matt Gruber)

Huh?

I'm guessing you are asking if the C6 control system will utilize a wideband O2 sensor that is able to make adjustments on the fly at full throttle. My guess would be no.

GM puts hundreds if not thousands of hours into the calibration of their engines. I don't think they'd put their faith into 1 sensor that could destroy the engines when they've already put in the time to calibrate it the way it is going to come from the factory. It sure would be nice for us who modify the engines, but I don't think the need is there yet.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Default Re: Does the LS2 instantly set A/F ratio at WOT? (scorp508)

my dream would be a sensor on every cyl.
if one clogs it would set a code while attempting to richen the faulty injector.
it would be programmed to not go too lean while actively avoiding too rich. it would give more power and better MPG.
i guess this Q belongs on the C7 board :lol:
Old 01-18-2004, 12:24 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Most modern engines run "open loop" at WOT. The O2 sensor is ignored and the A/F ratio is programmmed at about 12.5:1, which is known as the "maximum power A/F ratio". This A/F ratio is controlled by data from the mass flow sensor. Prior mass air flow versus RPM at WOT data is stored in memory and is continuously updated by real time data from the MAF. Thus the engine "learns" or "adapts" and can respond to changes in VE to due mods or wear or changes in air density such driving to higher altitude.

The LS1/6 behave this way, and there's no reason to believe that LS2 is any different.

Changes in the emission certification test procedure that are coming online increase acceleration rates and speeds and require use of the air conditioner. Some low powered cars may require some WOT use, which may force the elimination of WOT enrichment. Corvettes have such high torque and power that they never get anywhere near WOT in emission certification test, so, once warmed up, they never depart from closed loop operation in the course of the test.

Any car that doesn't require WOT during the certification test can run WOT enrichment without running afoul of emission standards, and a A/F ratio of 12.5:1 maximizes power output and minimizes detonation tendency.

Duke

Old 01-18-2004, 01:17 PM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Does the LS2 instantly set A/F ratio at WOT? (scorp508)

Huh?

I'm guessing you are asking if the C6 control system will utilize a wideband O2 sensor that is able to make adjustments on the fly at full throttle. My guess would be no.

GM puts hundreds if not thousands of hours into the calibration of their engines. I don't think they'd put their faith into 1 sensor that could destroy the engines when they've already put in the time to calibrate it the way it is going to come from the factory. It sure would be nice for us who modify the engines, but I don't think the need is there yet.
:iagree: :grouphug: :thumbs:
Old 01-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

i'm just after the extra power the c5 guys found by leaning it out, without the risk
Old 01-19-2004, 02:01 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

i'm just after the extra power the c5 guys found by leaning it out, without the risk
It'll never happen. Factory cars are always rich so that even in the most drastic of conditions they won't have failure and require replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To Does the LS2 instantly set A/F ratio at WOT?

Quick Reply: Does the LS2 instantly set A/F ratio at WOT?