C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the aluminum frame comes....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Re: If the aluminum frame comes.... (SWCDuke)

All said, today's steels are still really darn cool materials. I hope that the coolness factor of Al or Al/Mg alloys don't overshadow the advances in steel engineering.

Old 02-02-2004, 02:18 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: If the aluminum frame comes.... (Matt Black)

I don't think the Z06 (or any derivation of the C6 series) will see an aluminum frame under it...they will still be based on the current structure and the weight reduction will come from other areas such as wheels, interior electronics (lackthereof), hardtop body style and carbon fiber hood maybe and the rest of the results will come from adding more power of course, IMO.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

One thing I didn't see mentioned, though I may have missed it, as that weight reductions in the frame move the center of gravity upward which is not good for handling.

The best places to take out weight, from a performance and ride perspective, are unsprung weight (of course) and from places that are high up and/or far forward. For example, the hood, windshield frame, windshield, engine, etc. The C5's carbon fiber hood only takes, what, 10 lbs or so? But it takes those 10 lbs. from one of the best places it could possibly be taken.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: If the aluminum frame comes.... (Scissors)

Ok, so I went and lifted the hood on my 99, (since I do not have a C6 in the driveway.)

The side rails measure about 6.75 in x 3.75 in the rain.

McLennans book says GM starts with a 6 in pipe with a 0.08 in wall. This works out to about 5 pounds per foot or about 180 pounds for 36 feet of side rail and adding in for the front and back pieces.

Reverse engineering - the final wall thickness works out to .071 inches after the rail is hydro-formed.

To match beam stiffness: using SWCs E values and densities of steel at 490 pcf and aluminum at 170 pcf. I come up that to keep the same outside dimensions of the rail; one would need to increase the wall thickness, 4 sides, to 0.232 inches. However, this increased rail weight to 5.5 plf. Trying variable wall thicknesses the best I came up with was 4.5 plf.

Net savings? 18 pounds on the frame by going to aluminum without changing outside dimensions.

What will GM do? Who knows?

George

[Modified by 999, 12:24 PM 2/3/2004]
Old 02-03-2004, 12:46 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: If the aluminum frame comes.... (999)

Good analysis! It shows that the savings from aluminum is marginal at best unless the outside dimensions of the rails are increased, which would essentially be a complete redesign of the chassis.

It also shows why aluminum structure cars like the F360 and NSX are within about 3 percent of the current Z06 curb weight.

Duke
Old 02-03-2004, 01:13 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

leaving out the a/c,radio,sound deadener,power windows,ETC will reduce the weight more than any change in material in the C-6. that is why the FRC is the performance model because it weights 80# less up high over the hatch back coupe. :chevy
Old 02-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

It also shows why aluminum structure cars like the F360 and NSX are within about 3 percent of the current Z06 curb weight.
Don't forget about the Carbon Fiber Mercedes SLR which weighs several hundred pounds more than the C5 and C6.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:11 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Default Re: If the aluminum frame comes.... (Scissors)

Another good point! The more you compare the C6 chassis and engine with
so-called industry benchmarks, including all the near exotic and exotic cars,
the more you realize that the GM guys are wizzards to make the Corvette as light and powerful as it is (not to even mention low operating cost - fuel, insurance, and maintenance) at such a LOW price point!!!

Duke

Quick Reply: If the aluminum frame comes....