C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable the black box in the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When flight recorders/voice recorders were first installed in airplanes, we were all promised that "The information will only be used for accident investigation, blah blah blah"

Now it shows up in every lawsuit and evening news show. Not on the first day, but sooner or later it always gets out.

The problem with the recorded information in your car is that it shows only a few (incriminating) parameters, and in today's society anything with speeding is equated with guilt.

Example:
Driving the tollways around Chicago with the silly 55 mph speed limit. You are in the center lane, doing 70 so you don't get rear-ended. The dork in the right lane doing 45 suddenly pulls into your lane and you hit him. The witnesses will all disappear, and the only recorded data will show that you were 15 mph over the posted limit when you hit another car. Say goodby to that first million dollars.

Sure, there will be a few cases where the recorder will save your bacon. Just like there will be a few cases where not wearing a seat belt can save you. But I go with the heavy odds: seatbelts will save your life, recorders will kill you in court.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:30 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default The definitive "black box" disabling technique

If you need to really "disable" something like that -- call your best friend in the whole world, make him promise you that if you ever get into an accident where the "disable" feature might come in handy, -- he will go to the scrap yard to which your car will have been towed, -- and rip the thing out of the dash (on the C5, and I guess the C6, it's in the center behind the radio/AC controls).

Just make sure he doesn't forget.

Here, to help him:

This is what he'll be looking for:

and here's where he should look:

Hope this helps.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:51 PM
vmspionage
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

step 1. remove air bag from steering wheel
step 2. relocate air bag to trunk lid
step 3. relocate black box on stop of air bag

so now when you get into a crash the air bag will still deploy and your black box will be launched into the stratosphere
Old 10-06-2004, 05:24 PM
garytucker
Racer

Default Black boxes

It is a misconception that only AMERICAN cars have these boxes. You would be suprised how long these have been around in one form or another....go all the way back to the first air bags...you don't think they had some type of recorder to see what happened when one of those one stage jewels went off? Every performance nut has complained about them...but just live with it. Like someone posted...it only backs up what the investigators are going to say...and it can help you....I wish I had one in my last accident...three car pile up...I was in the middle...and got the blame...since I was in the vette! GM communication systems are pretty well tied together between modules...I figure it will be pretty hard to drop out a module without setting all kinds of Comm codes.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:23 PM
JHooligans
Racer

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
When flight recorders/voice recorders were first installed in airplanes, we were all promised that "The information will only be used for accident investigation, blah blah blah"

Now it shows up in every lawsuit and evening news show. Not on the first day, but sooner or later it always gets out.

The problem with the recorded information in your car is that it shows only a few (incriminating) parameters, and in today's society anything with speeding is equated with guilt.

Example:
Driving the tollways around Chicago with the silly 55 mph speed limit. You are in the center lane, doing 70 so you don't get rear-ended. The dork in the right lane doing 45 suddenly pulls into your lane and you hit him. The witnesses will all disappear, and the only recorded data will show that you were 15 mph over the posted limit when you hit another car. Say goodby to that first million dollars.

Sure, there will be a few cases where the recorder will save your bacon. Just like there will be a few cases where not wearing a seat belt can save you. But I go with the heavy odds: seatbelts will save your life, recorders will kill you in court.
What if by chance you were in the center lane driving 55 in the 55 and a guy gets on the highway in his oversized SUV and side swipes you. It's late at night and no witnesses. The cops show up and his story is you were speeding out of control and hit him. Wouldn't it be nice to have that little black box with it's recorded data in it now? For most people it's going to be a he said, she said of who they believe. For the 20 something year old Corvette Owners such as myself, we aren't looked at as the most credible people when it comes to accidents or tickets in sports cars.

I almost like the idea, as long as you aren't doing something totally stupid when you have an accident it won't come into play, besides, if you were doing something stupid, it won't take a black box to tell that story.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:56 PM
EHS
Race Director

Default Interesting thought, but......

Originally Posted by JHooligans
What if by chance you were in the center lane driving 55 in the 55 and a guy gets on the highway in his oversized SUV and side swipes you. It's late at night and no witnesses. The cops show up and his story is you were speeding out of control and hit him. Wouldn't it be nice to have that little black box with it's recorded data in it now? For most people it's going to be a he said, she said of who they believe. For the 20 something year old Corvette Owners such as myself, we aren't looked at as the most credible people when it comes to accidents or tickets in sports cars.

I almost like the idea, as long as you aren't doing something totally stupid when you have an accident it won't come into play, besides, if you were doing something stupid, it won't take a black box to tell that story.

Good thought, but....

The black box only records the last few seconds of vehicle data (I believe three or five) prior to airbag deployment. So, when you get sideswiped, which usually doesn't make the airbags deploy, make sure you hit him back hard enough, and fast enough, to get the airbags in your car out, so that you have the record you need to show you were only going 55 when you got hit.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WWK888
Maybe not...
Disabling your airbags in any car let alone a performance car is just crazy. If you have seen as many traffic fatalities as I have you would never drive without seatbelts and properly working airbags....but hey thats just me.
I've always been under the impression that airbags are for the folks who don't wear seatbelts. If you are wearing your seatbelt, how is an airbag gonna help you? You aren't going to travel forwards anyway...
Old 10-06-2004, 11:28 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the collision is severe, the front of the car comes back towards you, even with the "crumple zone" technology. Seatbelts are great but airbags supplement them. The airbags can also protect you from the broken windshield flying in to your face.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:41 PM
DigitalGriffin
Pro

I could be mistaken, BUT...

The federal government has made a mandate that all new cars sold be equiped with black boxes by 2008. So removing it in the future might be considered a federal offense.

Personally, I have no quarums with it. If I hit someone doing 110, I deserve to be in jail. If you have to drive fast, make sure no one else is at risk. Otherwise you're just not being a responsible adult.

BTW: Several insurance agencies are initiating pilot programs that install black boxes into cars that monitor your driving habits. These boxes will be used to determine your rates. NOW THAT I'M AGAINST!

From CNN:
The highway safety agency says between 65 percent and 90 percent of 2004 vehicles have some sort of recording ability. About 15 percent of vehicles have data recorders. Different models collect different amounts of data. Some record nothing more than how fast a vehicle sped up or slowed down, while others collect a range of information about the driver's actions and the condition of a vehicle's mechanical systems.

Data have been used by the highway safety agency in safety research and by law enforcement officials investigating car crashes.

In Massachusetts, crash data have been used to bolster evidence in several prosecutions. And in California, a law took effect on July 1 that requires manufacturers to tell buyers when their new cars have black boxes. In most cases, the law requires an owner's permission before authorities can get access to the data.

The NTSB has the power only to investigate and recommend. Any requirements would have to be imposed by NHTSA.

The highway safety agency said in June that requiring black boxes was unnecessary but proposed that by 2008 the auto industry should outfit their vehicles voluntarily with recorders that would collect 42 pieces of accident data, including speed, braking, seat belt use and the time required for air bags to deploy.

Last edited by DigitalGriffin; 10-06-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:55 AM
JHooligans
Racer

Originally Posted by Michael A
I personally would like to know how to disable my black box. If people can reverse engineer a engine computer, I don't doubt they could do the same with the black box. OK, hackers, get to work.

Michael
Actually, the better idea instead of disabling the device would be to simply alter the input data stream. I don't think it would be very difficult to put together a dumb device that constantly omits the same signal of a car traveling 35 mph or something. Even better to intercept the data stream and reduce it by 50%, that way if you were crashing your car at 140 mph, the box would record you going 70.

Does anyone know where the data comes from that the black box stores.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:21 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Who is going to be going 55??? Not me!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:46 AM
EHS
Race Director

Actually, the better idea instead of disabling the device would be to simply alter the input data stream... Even better to intercept the data stream and reduce it by 50%, that way if you were crashing your car at 140 mph, the box would record you going 70...
And the airbags would only deploy half the time as well.

Excellent feature!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

EL Soap Box...

I think the box is clearly owned by me and therefore should be able to travel with me...easily detachable. Just like a cell phone or radio face plate.

I wish to record or erase fully this box as I seem fit, not as a computer deems fit.

Is it a fact....I own this data? Appearantly it is not so clear and now the US government are into it.

Data can be sold; so perhaps access could be granted for say $10,000. made payable to cash.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may own the box, but a subpoena will bring the data to court.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:04 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Actually, the better idea instead of disabling the device would be to simply alter the input data stream. I don't think it would be very difficult to put together a dumb device that constantly omits the same signal of a car traveling 35 mph or something. Even better to intercept the data stream and reduce it by 50%, that way if you were crashing your car at 140 mph, the box would record you going 70.
Actually, like this idea the best.....'your honor, my client was only doing 14mph in a 55 at the time of collision.....'
Old 10-09-2004, 05:09 AM
EHS
Race Director

Originally Posted by EHS
And the airbags would only deploy half the time as well.

Excellent feature!
And, I like his idea even better than that.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin

The federal government has made a mandate that all new cars sold be equiped with black boxes by 2008. So removing it in the future might be considered a federal offense.
So is removing your catalytic converters... but I've heard of "some people" doing it.

Last edited by Tom Steele; 10-09-2004 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Typo

Get notified of new replies

To How to disable the black box in the C6?

Old 10-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

how long until new cars transmit mph direct to LEO's?
Old 10-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin

From CNN:
The highway safety agency said in June that requiring black boxes was unnecessary but proposed that by 2008 the auto industry should outfit their vehicles voluntarily with recorders that would collect 42 pieces of accident data, including speed, braking, seat belt use and the time required for air bags to deploy.
Your article is contradicting your statement about the black boxes being "required". The article says "voluntarily".

I think the average person needs to take a reality check on their driving. What percentage of the people are driving at or below the speed limit at all times? What percentage are breaking absolutely no laws when they are driving? I can safely say none.

The problem is in our litigious country, with more lawyers than any other per capita, is the accident blame goes directly to the person who's black box shows they were breaking a law at the time, no matter how stupid and at fault the other driver was. The lawyers are going to seize to that black box data like wolves to meat. It's the path of least resistance to wealth.

Michael
Old 10-09-2004, 05:48 PM
EHS
Race Director

Originally Posted by Michael A
Your article is contradicting your statement about the black boxes being "required". The article says "voluntarily".

I think the average person needs to take a reality check on their driving. What percentage of the people are driving at or below the speed limit at all times? What percentage are breaking absolutely no laws when they are driving? I can safely say none.

The problem is in our litigious country, with more lawyers than any other per capita, is the accident blame goes directly to the person who's black box shows they were breaking a law at the time, no matter how stupid and at fault the other driver was. The lawyers are going to seize to that black box data like wolves to meat. It's the path of least resistance to wealth.

Michael
So well said, it deserves repeating:

"I think the average person needs to take a reality check on their driving. What percentage of the people are driving at or below the speed limit at all times? What percentage are breaking absolutely no laws when they are driving? I can safely say none.

The problem is in our litigious country, with more lawyers than any other per capita, is the accident blame goes directly to the person who's black box shows they were breaking a law at the time, no matter how stupid and at fault the other driver was. The lawyers are going to seize to that black box data like wolves to meat. It's the path of least resistance to wealth."

Quick Reply: How to disable the black box in the C6?