C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable the black box in the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 01:08 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default How to disable the black box in the C6?

I've read all new GM cars have a black box which record information that could be used aginst the driver! Because of this i'm weary of getting a new GM vechile and might just keep my old one.. Can this box be removed and the computer reporgrammed to think its there.. kinda like the CAGS eliminator or Cat. Converter simulators?

Read about black box here: Foxnews Black Box Link

Last edited by Z06_BluByU; 10-01-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

It would be a major undertaking if you wanted to remove it but keep the airbags working, since it controls them.

The data simply confirms what the crash scene says. Besides, the box can help you just as much as it can hurt you. If witnesses claim you were speeding and you were not (common for 'Vette drivers--the overestimation of speed, not the lack of speeding) the black box will confirm the speed you were going within 5 seconds of impact.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. Get a new vette, drive and be happy. Unless your driving something real old without airbags, your current car probably has similiar data retrival capability.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

I just dont like the idea of my car logging data that people can access without my blessing.. if it helps me or not.. if I own the thing I would like to have final say.. So if i boot the box the only function I would lose would be the airbags?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:56 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

In massashusettes they CAN NOT retrive any info from your black box without the owners consent!!
This is the law
Old 10-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by 383_BluByU
I just dont like the idea of my car logging data that people can access without my blessing.. if it helps me or not.. if I own the thing I would like to have final say..
There are many things that you don't have final say on for your car. Safety devices and lighting, for example. That's the law.

If you don't want your car to have data on you, you'll have to skip the HUD and NAV as well.

So if i boot the box the only function I would lose would be the airbags?
Supposedly.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The black box has been in a lot of cars for the last 7 or 8 years. I thought they were in the C5s.

There are certain conditions under which a court order is required to access the information from these boxes. Generally speaking, I think this is required if the owner is being sued or has been charged with a crime.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just part of the modern world. Your actions are recorded in numerous ways every day, video, computer... You could live in a cabin in the woods to get away from the govt. But that usually ends in an ugly standoff. Embrace modern technology and buy a new car, our economy needs your support.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:46 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Michrider
Just part of the modern world. Your actions are recorded in numerous ways every day, video, computer... You could live in a cabin in the woods to get away from the govt. But that usually ends in an ugly standoff. Embrace modern technology and buy a new car, our economy needs your support.
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHIN YOU
Old 10-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I've read all new GM cars have a black box which record information that could be used aginst the driver! Because of this i'm weary of getting a new GM vechile and might just keep my old one.. Can this box be removed and the computer reporgrammed to think its there.. kinda like the CAGS eliminator or Cat. Converter simulators?

Read about black box here: Foxnews Black Box Link
I know a person who opted not to purchase an American car, because she didn't want to be ratted out by her car. If you'll recall, GM said the black boxes would ONLY be used for accident analysis for improving automobile design. When the lawyers heard about the black boxes, all that went out the window.

For all those who do not care about privacy, then don't worry about it, but don't criticize those who do want to protect theirs. The problem with not protecting privacy, is a little information treated as full information can be a bad thing. Inaccurate information treated as accurate can be a bad thing (red light cameras for instance - remember how everyone said they were foolproof - wrong!).

I personally would like to know how to disable my black box. If people can reverse engineer a engine computer, I don't doubt they could do the same with the black box. OK, hackers, get to work.

Michael
Old 10-02-2004, 08:21 AM
thebiggman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not big deal, just don't crash the car while doing something stupid!
Old 10-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

How feasible is it to relocate said black box and attached the box with Velcro so one could take it with them?

P.S. Same scenario for a C5...can it be done relatively easy?
Old 10-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Crazy Cowboy
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Hmmmm.... chances are that even if you made your black box removable for after a crash you'd probably be in a condition where you're not going to just reach under the dash and then walk away. First the airbags would have gone off, so you're gonna be dazed at the least. For them to use the box for evidence it's going to be something really serious 99% of the time where you're probably not getting out of the car so easy.

Just my .02 - I'd like to reprogram it to read that I was going 5 mph in reverse constantly wouldn't that make someone mad when they tried to use it against you!
Old 10-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

i've done a bit of ECM hacking to tune my cars before... so I think this could be hacked as well.. Does anyone have any information on these boxes they could post so we could start getting to work on figuring them out.. I will not buy a car with one until I know how to fool it, disable it or remove it.. A few of my faster cars don't have airbags now anyways.. matter of fact they still have chrome bumpers and wooden steering wheels.. I could live without one if thats all i'd lose by killing this box.. but i'd rather keep it a fool the box..
Old 10-02-2004, 11:07 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No comment on this subject, just wanted to say cool avatar Scissors!!!
Old 10-02-2004, 11:27 PM
Ticket Magnet
Advanced

There was a tragic accident where a C5 was involved where I am. In the local paper they said the black box has information that the C5 was traveling at 139 mph prior to air bag activation. They want to use this information in court. It has not be determined yet whether or not they will be able to.

When I picked up my 1999 I read that only some cars had this device. I guess they all did or they have changed what cars are equipped.

Just my .02c
Old 10-03-2004, 12:36 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Ticket Magnet
There was a tragic accident where a C5 was involved where I am. In the local paper they said the black box has information that the C5 was traveling at 139 mph prior to air bag activation. They want to use this information in court. It has not be determined yet whether or not they will be able to.
Just my .02c
That was the infamous lamborghini-C5 race where the lamborghini passenger died.

The answer is yes you can change to using DFI's stand alone computer but it gets used in addition to the stock PCM that must be retained for other car functions. It runs up to a 12 cylider engine and is used by viper owners in addition to the stock pcm in that car. I can't verify but I think I recalled hearing that there is an issue with using it with an A4 corvette.

The unit is sold under that trade name and was tested by car craft and hot rod magazine. In addition to all the lap-top programmed features like LS1 edit, it also has up to four nitrous provisions and onboard relays for tons of features....shift light control, built in wideband O2 sensor support...ect. About 2200 bucks. They also have support for getting you up and running with start-up software that serves as a base-line for your application.

For those still needing more convincing, here is a link for the DFI used in a Pontiac on the LS1: http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0404pon_dfi/

Last edited by SpinMonster; 10-03-2004 at 12:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How to disable the black box in the C6?

Old 10-03-2004, 05:49 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

I will not buy a car with one until I know how to fool it, disable it or remove it.. A few of my faster cars don't have airbags now anyways.. matter of fact they still have chrome bumpers and wooden steering wheels.. I could live without one if thats all i'd lose by killing this box but i'd rather keep it a fool the box..
Maybe not...
Disabling your airbags in any car let alone a performance car is just crazy. If you have seen as many traffic fatalities as I have you would never drive without seatbelts and properly working airbags....but hey thats just me.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Originally Posted by WWK888
Maybe not...
Disabling your airbags in any car let alone a performance car is just crazy. If you have seen as many traffic fatalities as I have you would never drive without seatbelts and properly working airbags....but hey thats just me.
first of all I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt! Secondly, I have a few friends that are vol. fireman and I have heard horror stories about traffic accidents.. I am sure you are absolutly correct in that airbags save lives.. and may even save my life one day.. However, freedom, liberty and privacy are also important to me.

There are a million reasons why airbags are good.. and I won't argue one bit about it.. its a shame the manufactures are making me decide between safety and personal freedoms.. they have the power to have this "black box' and ABS as individual systems.. at some point I think I need to make a stand about what I believe in.. I'm not trying to lobby or lecture other people. I just see our liberties slideing away the more techincally sophisticated we become.. and I don't like it..

I have plenty of old cars that are faster than, or pretty close, to the C6 (due to extensive modifications) that have seat belts and padded dash boards as the olny safety feature.. so I take the same risk often..

I'm going to figure out how to circummvent this black box. I'm not saying anyone should get rid of it on their car.. or anyone has to for that matter.. I just dont want it on mine.. and I'm looking for information to help make this possible.. otherwise i'll just keep my older rides going longer.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

1st buy the service manual.
read the 3000 pages, maybe u like, maybe not.

Quick Reply: How to disable the black box in the C6?