Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Viper feels safer and better than the new Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Andi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivan111
There will be always certain challenging tracks like Grattan with elevation changes, undulations, bumps, blind corners, off camber etc... that will exposed handling flaws if any....

From what the mags have reported it seems to me that shock revalving should correct the oversteer tendency in bumpy corners.....
There is no oversteer tendency in bumpy corners. There was one with the C5 Z06. There is none with the C6 Z06. Larry "Ben Affleck" Webster is dead wrong on this one. Let the horse die.

Andi
Old 11-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Barely Legal
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
Nice pic. See how the a-arms aren't horizontal like the vette? This trait helps it plant the power better than the vette. The coil-overs are hidden. I like what the vette has to offer - but the handling of the Viper is nothing to sneeze at either - and having drive one with 1000 hp, they are VERY adept at planting the power.
Of course the A-Arms are not horizontal, the car is unsprung on a lift. That gives NO indication of what the suspension geometry looks like on the ground, let alone rolling.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:01 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andi
This trait might have been there on the old Z06.. but now, the trait *IS* fixed... PERIOD. Larry Webster is dead wrong. I wish C&D would've let Csaba Csere do the C6 Z06 test/review. This was too high-profile a test to let Larry have, and he botched it with these comments.

The stability of the C6 Z06 is second to none. I always said the C5 Z06 had ****ty stability (and got flamed on here for having the nerve to criticize a Corvette)... do a search on here and look for my impressions of the new C6 Z06 -- GM fixed it. The C6 Z06 has incredible high speed stability. Bumps do NOT upset this car.

I drive mine every day w/ the AH/TC off, at high speeds, near (and often past) the limits of adhesion, often times over bumps and what not. Larry drove it around a pretty smooth track and got scared when he hit a bump or two. There's a reason Larry drives it with the AH on, and it has nothing to do with the car. There's also a reason the C6 Z06 posted a 7:42.9 around the Nurburgring Nordschelife, one of the bumpiest, harshest, and most gruelling tracks in the world. Q.E.D.

Long live the king.

Andi
Yeah now i remember your impressions of the new Z!!!!!

Is Willow Springs were R&T tested the Z a bumpy track like Grattan?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:27 PM
ivan111
Drifting

About a month ago we got a pretty good report from Damian Mercury Z at Gingerman following the Carrera GT, it would be interesting if somebody could test their Z in the bumpy Grattan and give us a full report but since the winter is approaching it looks like that won't happen until next year when things get warmer......
Old 11-07-2005, 07:47 PM
ghost.rider
Drifting

Originally Posted by CFRA_7
Please note that most of the people on this list don't have a clue about high performance driving (note I said most and not all), they have never done same day back to back comparisons and they criticize any magazine that doesn't kiss the Corvette's butt. The truth is that for street driving, who cares what a Corvette and a Viper do at the limit. You'll never be at that limit on the street. The Z06 is a better street car than the Viper and a slightly better track car.It just may be a little tricky at the limit compared to a Viper. Just take your time in learning the car or leave the track control switched on.
"The Z06 is a better street car than the Viper and a slightly better track car."
Yet in every test I have read, the Z06 is faster over the race course used by the various magazines.

I can't wait until they get the Z06's handling straightened out
Old 11-07-2005, 08:24 PM
gx624
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the mags turn off the TC/AH when they do these tests?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:35 PM
markbrown
Burning Brakes

I have to believe that the Viper is a better track car and the Vette a better street car. If you read the reviews carefully you can see they are wringing out every ounce to try and slant the stats to the Vette's favor. There was a rumor that the Vette was a special car and not a factory line car, like the Viper was.

Mark - yea I own a Vette. I just know how the magazines are.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:55 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ivan111
Is Willow Springs were R&T tested the Z a bumpy track like Grattan?
Mostly smooth as a baby's behind, except for some washboard on the inside of turn 8 (high speed right-hand sweeper).
Old 11-07-2005, 10:27 PM
ProUmpire
Intermediate

the inside of a viper looks like crap.. the view sucks.. the suspension is crap... other than that... what a car... give me a break

Originally Posted by LS6v
After reading two reviews in (car and driver, motor trend?) I was surprised to see that. Would you guys say the car is prone to snap over steer when you're pushing it through a turn? Or, was something out of wack on the test cars ( Like Tire pressures, toe, camber... )?

I understand that 500HP can spool the rear tires up in a hury but both cars have 500+.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me the inside of the Viper looks great. It is very clean and all the instrumentation is easy to view. Also the view in inside the ones I have been in was fine. Playing devils advocate, what do you think would happen if you put the C6Z up against the competition version of the viper. It is factory build by Dodge (or a subsidiary) and the mopar guys would argue that the Zo6 is the Corvette version of this? Maybe a better comparison would be base vs. base?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:07 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Deakins
To me the inside of the Viper looks great. It is very clean and all the instrumentation is easy to view. Also the view in inside the ones I have been in was fine. Playing devils advocate, what do you think would happen if you put the C6Z up against the competition version of the viper. It is factory build by Dodge (or a subsidiary) and the mopar guys would argue that the Zo6 is the Corvette version of this? Maybe a better comparison would be base vs. base?

No, the Viper Competition coupe is NOT street legal, the Z06 is. Not a fair comparison.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:49 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Originally Posted by markbrown.com
...If you read the reviews carefully you can see they are wringing out every ounce to try and slant the stats to the Vette's favor..
I see it the other way around, the Viper gets it's fair shake and gets tossed. But that's just my opinion.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:14 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
No, the Viper Competition coupe is NOT street legal, the Z06 is. Not a fair comparison.

Ok, C6-R against the competition viper.....
Old 11-08-2005, 10:08 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Barely Legal
Of course the A-Arms are not horizontal, the car is unsprung on a lift. That gives NO indication of what the suspension geometry looks like on the ground, let alone rolling.

Oh my, you are naive. I was talking about VERTICAL positioning of the wheel. I was talking about the positioning of the two arms of the A-arms - they do not lie flat, rather they are canted on an angle - different GEOMETRY. Go look at a Viper and you'll understand.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:04 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Old 11-08-2005, 08:31 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by markbrown.com
I have to believe that the Viper is a better track car and the Vette a better street car. If you read the reviews carefully you can see they are wringing out every ounce to try and slant the stats to the Vette's favor. There was a rumor that the Vette was a special car and not a factory line car, like the Viper was.

Mark - yea I own a Vette. I just know how the magazines are.
They dyno'd the Z06 in Motor Trend, and it was getting right at or below most of the stock dyno's of factory cars posted here.

Mark, there's a support group for you over at viperclub.org: "Hi, my name is Mark Brown, and I can't believe the Z06 is faster than the Viper." VCA: "Hi, Mark. Welcome to the Viper Club."
Old 11-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Miles in Michigan
Drifting

First:
See how the a-arms aren't horizontal like the vette?
Then:
I was talking about VERTICAL positioning of the wheel.

I was talking about the positioning of the two arms of the A-arms - they do not lie flat, rather they are canted on an angle - different GEOMETRY. Go look at a Viper and you'll understand.
There's a pic of a Viper right there, and I've been under my C5 plenty, and I don't know what you are talking about. What are "the two arms of the A-arms"? The upper and lower a-arm? Or the legs (arms?) of the A in one of the A-arms, that go from the frame to the wheel hub?

Get notified of new replies

To Viper feels safer and better than the new Z06?

Old 11-08-2005, 10:19 PM
markbrown
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CliffB-99
Mark, there's a support group for you over at viperclub.org: "Hi, my name is Mark Brown, and I can't believe the Z06 is faster than the Viper." VCA: "Hi, Mark. Welcome to the Viper Club."
cute - i mean no disrespect at all - maybe i am blinded by the fact i want a viper but i know all about magazines and the crooked business they pull, to get advertising dollars. it's all about the advertising dollars, not about fairness.

the vette is a great car but i find it real hard to belive what some editors slant is - especially when it's obvious they have a slant.

i watched the video of the test track and the driver is pushing the crap out of the vette - he is not doing the same with the viper.

not really saying any car is better than the other but anyone can interpret especially when it's this close anything they want the outcome to be.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:33 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For a few years now, we've had real world track results that show the C5Z and C6 Z51 being competetive with the Viper. Stock against stock on a roadcourse. How CLOSE can it be with an additional 100hp and better brakes?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

OK, I saw in Car and Driver where they mention snap oversteer.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Viper feels safer and better than the new Z06?