Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] z06 with paddle shift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 11:30 PM
jpetrol2511
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default z06 with paddle shift?

do you think if i put in an order they will build it? or does anyone know if it will become an option
Old 12-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

You can't order what is not available.

Maybe, sometime in the future, but I wouldn't wait on it.

Frank
Old 12-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Performin Norman
Burning Brakes

The current paddle shifter is made for the A6 Corvettes. I don't think they have any plans on making an auto Z06. I don't think they have any plans on building a true M6 paddle shift Z06 either. I wish they would. That would be awesome.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:46 PM
jpetrol2511
Navigator

i love the padddle shift in my gallardo and wish they would make a z06 with it.just a thought
Old 12-30-2005, 12:37 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

remember the words CAFE RATING, The Z06 gets by the Gas Guzzler because its a Manual, I don't think Chevy can afford the mileage loss across the board going to a Auto Paddle.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:47 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

How exactly do you suggest ordering the paddles for the current ZO6 ?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:14 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
How exactly do you suggest ordering the paddles for the current ZO6 ?
Don't
Old 12-30-2005, 07:01 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Motorcycles have been paddle shifters from day 1 with the foot shifter, and it makes sense given that the don't have the tactility with your foot in shoe, that you do with your hand.

Personally I find it annoying to have to rack through all of the gears to say go from 6th to 2nd. I definitely wouldn't want one on a car for the aforementioned reason, and can't imagine why anyone would.

It appears to be another "gotta have gadget" from racing cars (F-1, etc.). It makes lot of sense there, since there is no room in the cockpit for the conventional double H shift pattern of a six speed, but unless you guys are the size of a blimp, I don't see it.

I prefer the speed of the double H traditional shifter, over the slow, gear racking sequential shifter
Old 12-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Viperbitesback
Advanced

It shifts faster than a normal person can in the heat of the moment. It is one less thing for the driver to do wrong, everybody wants to think they are the best drivers in the world, but the fact is a person can only micromanage so many things at one given time. The C6R uses a sequential, so do most race cars actually.

Also they are not true sequentials, they go into neutral between shifts, a true sequential just jumps from gear to gear, but apparently there are mandates that statea car should be able to go into neutral at any give them from any gear, which would be almost impossible with a true sequential gearbox.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:20 PM
corvettetanner
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jpetrol2511
do you think if i put in an order they will build it? or does anyone know if it will become an option
Yeah, Hey A COPO 2006 Z06, that would be worth some big money later on, especially since the Z06 isn't offered with an auto. You would have to have some friend's in pretty high places though.

I'm just having some fun here, don't take me too seriously on this one.

Last edited by corvettetanner; 12-30-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:21 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SMFCPACFP
Motorcycles have been paddle shifters from day 1 with the foot shifter, and it makes sense given that the don't have the tactility with your foot in shoe, that you do with your hand.

Personally I find it annoying to have to rack through all of the gears to say go from 6th to 2nd. I definitely wouldn't want one on a car for the aforementioned reason, and can't imagine why anyone would.

It appears to be another "gotta have gadget" from racing cars (F-1, etc.). It makes lot of sense there, since there is no room in the cockpit for the conventional double H shift pattern of a six speed, but unless you guys are the size of a blimp, I don't see it.

I prefer the speed of the double H traditional shifter, over the slow, gear racking sequential shifter
Random access shifting (double H) versus sequential access shifting (paddle). I will take random access every time. Sequential is faster but the big negative tradeoff is that sequential cycling through all the gears is just a big pain in a car. We put up with it on bikes because of the ergonomic limitations mentioned. To partially address some of the limitations, Bridgestone sold a couple of bikes in the late 1960s which had a "rotary" shifting mechanism. You could shift from 6th to first just by lifting your foot one more time. This allowed very rapid access to 1st from 6th, but you can imagine the main disadvantage. It was very easy to accidentally shift from 6th to 1st at high speed with accompanying disastrous consequences. For this reason, as far as I know, no other manufacturer ever offered rotary shifting again.

It is ironic that a lot of custom choppers have "suicide" or "jockey" shifters on them like some Harleys and Indians from the 30s and 40s had. This is a piece of nostalgia we can do without. It is the worst of everything. Can you imagine trying to work a stick shift on a bike while you are turning or under full-throttle acceleration? What were (are) they thinking?

Last edited by slwhite; 12-31-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:06 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

The current 6-speed automatic with paddle shifting option is not capable of handling the TQ of the LS7 engine (unless you want the TQ of the engine limited to 400 lb-ft -- which eliminates most of the utility of the LS7 engine).

A hydraulically shifted M6 transmission is a future possibility, but look towards ponying up around $7K-$10K for the price of admission. Based on the Ferrari and BMW you can look towards short clutch life and expensive repairs.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:59 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup

A hydraulically shifted M6 transmission is a future possibility, but look towards ponying up around $7K-$10K for the price of admission. Based on the Ferrari and BMW you can look towards short clutch life and expensive repairs.
The SMG option on BMW is only $3K. The DSG option on Audi is even cheaper (<2K). Toyota had a sequential tranny for just $600 extra on Mr2.

In essence I don't really see why a sequential tranny would be much more expensive than a regular M6 since all it adds are a few actuators and software.

As far as wear - again it will depend on driving style. BMW forums report plenty of SMG M3s with close to 100K on original clutches. Also clutch replacements on SMG BMW aren't any more expensive than a regular clutch job.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:47 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't yet driven an A6 so I don't know how well it does or doesn't work. But I do have much experience with an F355 F1. It was very much a pleasure to drive and by pulling the upshift and downshift paddles simultaneously, you got neutral from any gear. You could pull any number of upshifts on that paddle in far less time than it would take you to even think about it, much less actually move a shifter through an H pattern to the desired position. So IMHO there's no reason a sequential transmission wouldn't/couldn't be very capable.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:13 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by robvuk
I haven't yet driven an A6 so I don't know how well it does or doesn't work. But I do have much experience with an F355 F1. It was very much a pleasure to drive and by pulling the upshift and downshift paddles simultaneously, you got neutral from any gear. You could pull any number of upshifts on that paddle in far less time than it would take you to even think about it, much less actually move a shifter through an H pattern to the desired position. So IMHO there's no reason a sequential transmission wouldn't/couldn't be very capable.

I've driven an SMG m3. And while in the beginning it felt clunky - you can quickly learn to drive it just as smooth as a regular stick by giving a little gas before up shifting. Too bad you can't put it into N from paddles - you have to do from the stick.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:26 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterK
The SMG option on BMW is only $3K. The DSG option on Audi is even cheaper (<2K). Toyota had a sequential tranny for just $600 extra on Mr2.

In essence I don't really see why a sequential tranny would be much more expensive than a regular M6 since all it adds are a few actuators and software...

BMW and Porsche are in an enviable position since they don't price their cars and options on a cost + basis. It's strictly a "what the market will bear" pricing strategy for these two highly profitable companies.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:41 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jpetrol2511
Interesting article & road test of the Z06 in the Febuary issue,of Hemmings Muscle Machine Magazine, page 41, A Travis Parman a GM executive is Quoted, "This car has a lot of Fevor & with the F1 -style Paddle shifter it will have even more "...................This is in a write up & excellant road test of the ZO6...............Food for thought The Dog

Get notified of new replies

To z06 with paddle shift?

Old 01-02-2006, 11:16 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robvuk
I have never driven a car with a sequential gearbox as you have so I can only speak from my motorcycle experience. You can also quickly downshift through all gears on a bike at any speed but people seldom do it. This is because the clunking of the lower speed gears, even though the clutch is disengaged, sounds really bad. It sounds like you are doing damage down there. So people downshift to appropriate gears as the bike slows down. Maybe this has been solved on cars with sequential gearboxes since I understand that the computer automatically matches engine speed with the selected gear.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:45 AM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If you really want to find out how paddle shifters can work well, read about the F1 setup on the Ferrari F430. In addition to being very fast, both up and down, there are a serious of programs that provide anything from automatic transmission-type use to a full race setup. I believe the 430 has 150 millisecond shifts, although that number may be wrong.

There have been lots of review and discussions about the F430's F1 system, which is significantly better than the system used by Ferrari on the 360. Of course, the genesis of the system is F1 racing. I can see a bunch of advantages to not having a clutch pedal or not having to take your hand off of a wheel.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:34 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StrayDog
Interesting article & road test of the Z06 in the Febuary issue,of Hemmings Muscle Machine Magazine, page 41, A Travis Parman a GM executive is Quoted, "This car has a lot of Fevor & with the F1 -style Paddle shifter it will have even more "...................This is in a write up & excellant road test of the ZO6...............Food for thought The Dog
Very interesting quote....

Quick Reply: [Z06] z06 with paddle shift?