Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ZO6 vs SRT COUPE....real life test

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 12:58 PM
david.k
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No disrespect but total bs. Every single review ive read said that the z is faster around tracks, any tracks. Also the z accelerates was faster than the viper. im glad your happy with your decision though.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:31 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by david.k
No disrespect but total bs. Every single review ive read said that the z is faster around tracks, any tracks. Also the z accelerates was faster than the viper. im glad your happy with your decision though.
Ok I'll post again.The Z does accelerate faster.If I get out of my Z and get in the Viper imediately I can feel the difference.There is no way.Sounds like the Z driver was afraid of the Z.The Z has 342 gears v/s 307 in the Viper.The Viper ways about 300lbs more than the Z.Do the math.The edge the Viper has is in grunt about 40 more ft lbs.of it.
Both cars are sickening fast for the street.Some people just got ot get over the fact that the Viper was dethroned.Besides that who gives a real s%#t anyway.I love them both.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:29 PM
S20004sale
Advanced

Agree total BS. See the video just posted. New driver in a 06Z06 smokes the "experienced" Viper driver on the straight and the viper totally disappears into the depths of my rearview mirror once we enter the turns. On a 4 mile course, I lapped him in 6 laps never having done this away from Spring Mountain which is a training course, not a racing course.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Will it ever end????

When it comes to very fast traction-limited cars like the Viper SRT and C6Z the outcome of any race will come down to which ever driver gets the most performance out of the car. That is true on a road course, the drag strip and the street.

Folks like to say..."given equal drivers." But it's extremely unusual to have a race between two drivers that are equal that day.

So any race can be won by either car in any venue, depending on the drivers.

When I raced Wanted at the drags, I woulld have lost with just one marginal shift or one weak launch. The cars were close and he is a great driver. It's also true my C6Z trapped 7-9 mph higher that his Viper. I still could have lost if I didn't get everything right in my passes, leaving read light aside.

Obviously, times around a road course are even more dependent on driver quality that the drag strip.

We ought to try being a bit more balanced with assertions of flat superiority.

Just a thought.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 06-14-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Old 06-15-2006, 06:55 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't believe they haven't locked this thread...
Old 06-15-2006, 08:17 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 02FEGTS
For those of you who have been reading this forum, my previous post of "Prices for Coupes", I just took delivery on my First Edition Coupe last week. I drove 650 mile to Pahrump NV to open track my car yesterday (Saturday) with my friend and his new "06 ZO6. We drove out together and went to Spring Mountain for a Las Vegas Chapter Porsche Club/SCCA open track weekend. I just got back in an hour ago after a 12 hour drive. Let me begin with this- you can drive this coupe everyday. We drove over 1550 miles in two days- through the storm hitting the west coast right now, light snow flurries Friday afternoon, and stop and go traffic in the middle of the desert for 2 hours, as well as over two hours of track time. The cars ran flawless- both of them. We traded off cars and have respect for each others cars. We also found out the following:

1) These cars are dead even in acceleration up to 165 mph- where we stopped running. From 40 mph rolls to 145, and 80 mph rolls up to 165 out in the desert. They were dead even from a standing start to 90 mph. We are very even drivers- both holding licenses from SCCA, etc. We have raced spec Panoz's and are always dead even. So the driver stuff is not there.

2) Around Spring Mountain Raceway, the Viper was FASTER. I could out brake and corner the ZO6, and straight line we were once again dead even. Both cars are stock- mine literely came off the showroom floor and driven 600 mile to my home in Las Vegas. If he started a session ahead of me, even 3 cars ahead, I could catch and pass him within two laps- we were running the new long course. When I started ahead, I would pull away from him putting 3 or 4 cars between us. This happened every session out.

3) ZO6 handles terrible in the rain- the Goodyears hydroplane in heavy rains, and the Viper did not. Very stable on I-5 in heavy rains at 75-85 mph. My friend had to slow down to under 50 in the same conditions because the car would dart all over the lane at higher speeds. So much for it being the better daily driver.

4) Gawk factor- very few people noticed his car- its black and does not stand out. We had literally dozens of people snapping photos of the Coupe. I have a Lamborghini Murcielago, and that is typical. But I did not expect that in a Viper. In fact, a group of young ladies ignored my friends Corvette, and proceded to pull up next to us as we crossed into CA on the freeway,and showed us their wares- if you know what I mean.

This car is far superior to my 2001 ACR. This car is much more refined. My ACR was a toy. Not practical. A loud droning from the exhaust at 65 mph. Terrible AC system. Horrible ride- even worse brakes. This new car is faster, more stable, has fantastic brakes- same ones I have on my Comp Coupe, and can be driven everyday. Plus, it has a new car warranty. I just drove it for 12 hours and it feels like I got out of my Mercedes! It's that good.

My point? Don't believe everything your reading out there. The ZO6 is not superior. Cheaper, yes. But my friend paid $10k over window sticker, I got mine for $8k under. When you add it up, I paid $3k more- which was the gas tax on it. Dodge has made a big mistake not marketing this car right. I am not sure what ZO6 the car magazines have been testing, but its not the one the consumer is buying. The word "ringer" comes to mind. So don't be afraid of one if it comes up. It will come down to the driver. And on the track, out of the box, it is a faster car. I will post some pictures of us on the track and driving through the desert as soon as I can figure out how. Its been a long day and my bed is calling.

This was taken from the VCA site, thought it was a interesting read, discuss.

Your post proves to me your a RETARD..

Nuff Said..!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Robs98Z28
Instructor

I think this was an excellent post. I happen to love both cars and I think its great that we have 2 relatively cheap (compared to other) supercars that offer similar performance to cars costing twice as much. Add in the Ford GT and the rest of the world has some very stiff competition coming from America =).

Both are very nice cars and anyone who has either should be very proud of what they have.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Son93SL2
Team Owner

C6 Z06 > SRT Coupe
Old 06-15-2006, 10:14 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Old dupe.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:14 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzlove
Can't believe they haven't locked this thread...
Report it then.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ZO6 vs SRT COUPE....real life test