Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] PS to the unkown sounds

Old 05-24-2006, 12:05 AM
drrichie
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS to the unkown sounds

I really didn't get much from the thread last week about the "Clacking" noise. Since I'm not thrilled to have the dealer play guessing games, I decided to play with it myself and opened up the air box (filter to throttle body) and found a sticky label/patch flapping lose. I thought I saw this as the trap for emissions on a past thread so I removed it. Test drive afterwards and no clacking sounds. Let the Z get stone cold again before another test and still no Clacking. Same conditions, another drive - good, fixed.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:17 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You're lucky it didn't come completely loose and head into the throttle body and/or beyond like it has for some of us. I'll bet it was the lower pad - there is another one on the top of the air bridge. Any evidence of motor oil in/on the pad?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:32 AM
drrichie
Burning Brakes

Allanlaw -
It was the lower pad, but very minor oil on edges. Adhesive was sloppy on the housing but the pad wasn't tacky. Is it when oil gets on the pad it can dissolve the adhesive? Only 25% of the pad stayed fast (it was close to being pulled off!).

Rich
Old 05-24-2006, 04:53 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Glad you caught it in time.I am removing mine this week.I have another track event on Monday and will not take the chance.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:31 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I guess the Z06 should come with one of these

Adding this to the FAQ post.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:36 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

looks like i have a project to do after work.

i as hoping that was a one time issue
Old 05-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Adrenaline Junky
Racer

Looks like this is a must do item. An ounce of prevention..... I think it was Jim Hall suggested first heating with a hot hair dryer if a heating gun wasn't available for easier removal.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:15 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drrichie
Allanlaw -
It was the lower pad, but very minor oil on edges. Adhesive was sloppy on the housing but the pad wasn't tacky. Is it when oil gets on the pad it can dissolve the adhesive? Only 25% of the pad stayed fast (it was close to being pulled off!).

Rich
We THINK it's a problem with the motor oil reacting with the glue that causes the lower pad to come off. I'm sure if you look at the upper one, you'll see that it's on pretty tight. One friend had the pad come partially loose and it closed off much of the air flow through the bridge ONLY at WOT - all he knew is that the car lost power every time he floored it. Took a while to figure out it was the pad coming loose. Then there were one or more (maybe mine) throttle bodies that got out of sorts when hit with the pad.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:03 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Glad you caught it in time.I am removing mine this week.I have another track event on Monday and will not take the chance.

Damn I was at the dealer today and meant to have them do that,, DAMN IT..

Sorry glad everyone has there fixed and no problems..
Old 05-24-2006, 11:26 PM
drrichie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allanlaw
We THINK it's a problem with the motor oil reacting with the glue that causes the lower pad to come off. I'm sure if you look at the upper one, you'll see that it's on pretty tight. One friend had the pad come partially loose and it closed off much of the air flow through the bridge ONLY at WOT - all he knew is that the car lost power every time he floored it. Took a while to figure out it was the pad coming loose. Then there were one or more (maybe mine) throttle bodies that got out of sorts when hit with the pad.
Allanlaw,

Upper pad is stuck on firm - I 'm leaving it alone and will check periodically. I figure if I had a few hundred more miles on the OD it would have been the dealer finding the lower pad fault - not me!

Rich
Old 05-25-2006, 04:36 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
I guess the Z06 should come with one of these

Adding this to the FAQ post.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:15 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Well I found two loose brackets in the rear of the bumper. At first I heard some strange noises like something loose back there like loose change then I go underneath and see these brackets falling off because they weren't tightned enough so I tightened them up good thing I caught it in time otherwise they would have fallen off and I wouldn't know.

Get notified of new replies

To PS to the unkown sounds

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] PS to the unkown sounds