Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM Trying to void powertrain warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:30 PM
sprite2005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM Trying to void powertrain warranty

Some of you may have read about my issues here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1433013

The dealership told me my car was ready and I could come pick it up. I get there and they told me that GM replaced my engine out of "good will" and that my powertrain warranty would be void (Engine/transmission/drivetrain). When I asked why he kept switching between to reasons (The way I drove it and the skip shift). The car has not been abused and neither does it have a skip shift installed on it, and even if it did that would have nothing to do with my engine failing. The Vette did have a skip shift on it when I got it from Randyvettes which did not work, the dealer removed this skip shift when I had my roof replaced, if they really wanted to attempt to void warranty over that they should have done it then, not after my engine breaks down. Needless I refused to sign anything and left the car at the dealership. I will go back tomorrow and get their excuse for attempting to void my warranty in writing and then locate a good automotive lawyer. Does anyone know of one in Florida? Preferably the Orlando area.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you deal directly with the service director?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:37 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sprite2005
Some of you may have read about my issues here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1433013

The dealership told me my car was ready and I could come pick it up. I get there and they told me that GM replaced my engine out of "good will" and that my powertrain warranty would be void (Engine/transmission/drivetrain). When I asked why he kept switching between to reasons (The way I drove it and the skip shift). The car has not been abused and neither does it have a skip shift installed on it, and even if it did that would have nothing to do with my engine failing. The Vette did have a skip shift on it when I got it from Randyvettes which did not work, the dealer removed this skip shift when I had my roof replaced, if they really wanted to attempt to void warranty over that they should have done it then, not after my engine breaks down. Needless I refused to sign anything and left the car at the dealership. I will go back tomorrow and get their excuse for attempting to void my warranty in writing and then locate a good automotive lawyer. Does anyone know of one in Florida? Preferably the Orlando area.

If they say there is evidence of over-rev damage in old motor, and they are somehow relating that to skipshift, maybe they could make a [very very very weak] case...

However,

the purpose of skipshift is fuel mileage improvement under part throttle, NOT to somehow limit over rev potential. In fact, even with CAGS in place, as you know, you gas it, you go right around CAGS....

Just the prior existence of CAGS eliminator is NOT sufficient to deny a warranty claim, sounds like maybe they want to try a quick buffalo-job to see if they can limit their forward liability on an engine replacement.

You don't have to sign anything to ask to be shown the service write up, including diagnosis of old motor.

"Oh, sir, we did no diagnosis, just shipped to plant per the Tech Memo"

"Good, then you have no basis to deny my full re-warranty. Get my keys, please."

"Oh, the plant is the one who says not to warranty..."

"Then show me *their* assessment... "

Continue to apply logic coolly and liberally to forehead as needed until symptoms disappear...

IANAL.

YMMV.

Objects in mirror are backwards.

Last edited by TrackNoob; 07-14-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:39 PM
sprite2005
Instructor

The engine has never been over revved, it may have touched rev limiter once or twice in its lifetime. The engine broke down during 30mph stop and go traffic. Neither was there a skipshift installed in the car when it broke down.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:42 PM
sprite2005
Instructor

I'll be stopping by tomorrow to get copies of everything so I know how to proceed, I just did not have tiime to deal with this **** today had to drive someone to the airport and was in a hurry. The car has been babyed and only has 2800 miles, it was properly broken in by Randyvettes before I bought it and has never seen the track or dragstrip.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Blu06Z06
Instructor

I read both threads and I still can't figure out what a "skip shift" is? CAGS?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkY2kC5
CAGS is a $20 plug-in mod by the tranny that disables the 1-4 shift that happens at lower RPMs to save gas.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:16 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

CAGS= Computer Aided Gear Selection

Computer Aided = "Dave... What are you doing? Selecting second? Why, I'm sorry, Dave.. I can't allow that... Daisy, daisy, d...a...i...s...y..."

[spyphoto of CAGS sensor]

skip shift = what CAGS actually does, locks out the selection of second gear under part throttle, making the shifter slide into fourth under carefully controlled computer-based scenarios, i.e. when you are needing to gas it to get around someone in an intersection, when you are about to impress the boss, any other time it may be likely to peeve you off.

Purpose it is there: To get us around the gas guzzler task.

Be glad it is there; be glad you can eliminate it.

Last edited by TrackNoob; 07-14-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:17 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Is it possible they are using the cags delete as a way of saying the computer has been altered and therefore, no warranty? Otherwise, no reason in the world to cancel warranty. Tons of cars have been on here with clutch and diff problems brought on by tracking the cars and warranty has repaired them. I know, as I am one of them. Something screwy here.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:28 PM
sprite2005
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbp8653
Is it possible they are using the cags delete as a way of saying the computer has been altered and therefore, no warranty? Otherwise, no reason in the world to cancel warranty. Tons of cars have been on here with clutch and diff problems brought on by tracking the cars and warranty has repaired them. I know, as I am one of them. Something screwy here.
You are right something is screwy. I did not mention it earlier but also when I came to pick up my car as they drove it out for me it made a rattling noise that sounded like it came from the exhaust. It seems like the engine broke something else in the process and GM is trying to trick their way out of fixing my car completely and any future problems it may have. The dealership is Holler Chevrolet in Winter Park, FL. I will be back there tomorrow to get the necessary documentation and scan a copy for you guys as well.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:29 PM
TrackNoob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jbp8653
Could be.

But SEMA and others have done a great job of trying to make sure consumers learn their rights regarding warranty. Just modding, without evidence that the mod affected the breakage, is not sufficient to violate a new car warranty:

http://www.rx8web.com/showthread.php?threadid=2262
Old 07-14-2006, 08:36 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sprite2005
You are right something is screwy. I did not mention it earlier but also when I came to pick up my car as they drove it out for me it made a rattling noise that sounded like it came from the exhaust. It seems like the engine broke something else in the process and GM is trying to trick their way out of fixing my car completely and any future problems it may have. The dealership is Holler Chevrolet in Winter Park, FL. I will be back there tomorrow to get the necessary documentation and scan a copy for you guys as well.
Don't know if this means a thing.........There is another thread on here thats titled "Warning, Tampa dealer...." This guy is also having work done at Holler Chevrolet. They are telling him work done at a Tampa dealership was bad so therefore they are not going to cover his warranty claim. Read the thread and see what you think.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:35 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It sounds to me that the dealer may be the one convincing Gm to behave in this manner.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:05 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Keep us informed.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Blu06Z06
Instructor

Thank you to all that responded to my question! I am well aware of CAGS, but could not see how disabling it would void a power train warranty :. If anything, with it connected, it seems like it is harder on the drive train having to shift into fourth at such a low speed then lugging it. So I just figured "skip shift" must be something to help you power shift or something. Thanks
Old 07-15-2006, 12:05 AM
RFC2
Burning Brakes

Is this really the whole story? I just cannot believe GM would do this or why the would even bother.

I'd like to here GM's side.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:19 AM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe this will solve the problem.

The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated at "full" or as "limited" and sets minimum standards for a
"full" warranty. Your dealer has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full," rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued there under.

There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. This act madates the manufacturer to certify that all Equipment manufactured is free of defects in materials or workmanship, and that they meet manufacturing specifications at the time of
manufacture.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Trying to void powertrain warranty

Old 07-15-2006, 01:20 AM
boosted_z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First you say the car did not have CAGS, then it did
You said it was not hitting rev limiter then it was a few times.
Then you say someone else owned the car but was never abused
Confusing

If the CAGs bypass you were using did something to the ECM then when CAGS was installed again it might have caused the CAG solenoid not to fully release and cause problems with shifts and somehow caused stress to engine.

Not saying that is the answer but being you had the dealer take a CAG bypass off they could cloud a judge that a function was defeated and put question as what caused the damage

The MM Act is useless and not one on this forum I can recall ever used and and won their case in court.

Thank you to all that responded to my question! I am well aware of CAGS, but could not see how disabling it would void a power train warranty :. If anything, with it connected, it seems like it is harder on the drive train having to shift into fourth at such a low speed then lugging it. So I just figured "skip shift" must be something to help you power shift or something. Thanks
Old 07-15-2006, 01:25 AM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Magnusson vs Moss warranty act. I used it and it worked for my piece of CRAP 01 Z06. Post their address so everyone in the forum can send them a copy.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:29 AM
emaratee
Instructor

Don't take that nonsense,

And let me tell you ... all Corvettes landing here in the Middle East are not equipped with "Skip Shift" from factory.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM Trying to void powertrain warranty