Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 Market Softening

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 Market Softening

Saw a Automic Orange Z06 2007 at a dealship here in southern california. When I first went in to see it they were asking 86k, about 10k over sticker. I was considering selling my Z06 to them and they showed great interest a week before, saying how they would like to have it in their showroom to bring in more customers.

So I had gone in to see what they would offer me. There was a guy there trading his new Rosche Mustang on a base model corvette. He had been there for a few hours already and his wife stepped up out of the office and began to walk to the showroom. I reached out my hand to shake hers and congradulate her on the new Corvette purchase, "welcome to the club", I said. She responded, "I already have a corvette, this one is for my husband".

She said ther her husband liked mustangs and had had a corvette before but traded it in because he did not like the automatic. So this time he is getting a stick. As her eyes turned outside and saw my Red Z06 2006 with gunmetal wheels, the salesman said, "He's selling his."

"Really she asked? We offered them 80k, they are asking 86k and they turned us down on the Automic Orange one they have here. What will you take for yours?? I responded 70k. Just a second, let me go get my husband."

Oh no, I thought, I don't want to interrupt this sale. Her husband came out started walking around my car and I told him, after you buy yours I will be glad to take you for a ride. He said, "should I consider buying yours first?". What an awkward situation I was in. The salesman came outside with paper in hand and said, "Do we have a deal?".

Just a moment the man responded.

I got in my car and drove off the lot.

I was thinking, man these are hot. I probably could have a made a sale right there. I returned a week later to the dealership to see if the owner was in to offer me a price. He wasn't there. I noticed that the Orange one was gone. I asked a sales person what they sold it for.

Window sticker he said, 76k. He went on to say that the market is softening. I had spoken with him before so I think he was being pretty frank with me. He was their corevette expert that they always grabbed to talk to me when I had questions about the Corvette.

I could sense a look of worry in his eyes as he said that other dealerships have called to check what the car is selling for when they sell it. He said some are holding out for over MSRP but the market is softening?

Here it goes.. I thought. Now I know the car is going to drop in price to below 70k.

What do you guys think? What do you think if 2006 models are still in show rooms when they begin selling the 2008's next year??? Maybe those people that waited will be able to pick up an 06 in the mid 60k range?

Old 12-10-2006, 03:17 PM
badsube
Instructor

I really don't think there are any 06 Z's left on dealer's lots, unless of course they're still asking $80,000.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:12 PM
MyBeaches
Pro

Since most dealers are selling at MSRP across the country, its going to hurt your chances of getting $70k for your car. People would rather spend $75k for a brand new, still in wrapper new car than save $5k for a car that has been driven for a year, with less warranty, potential roof problems, etc.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:54 PM
dartdart
Instructor

The market is perfect for dealing, you just need to make an offer and wait. Last I checked there are dozens for sale now, new at retail or a grand back and more than thirty or so on the used market as low as 63,500. 2006 Z.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:22 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The car auto market is soft. This year the Z06 is included. Nothing different from the norm. I would suggest if anyone wants one now is the time to buy. Spring is around the corner and so is demand.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:47 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Isn't this old news by now. The entire car market is a buyers market right now and we've had plenty of threads about MSRP and below sales already.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:51 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Sticker prices are a joke. 60 and 70 thousand dollar vehicles are routinely discounted 10-15 grand. Since when is "sticker" or near it a good deal?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:18 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by drmustang
Sticker prices are a joke. 60 and 70 thousand dollar vehicles are routinely discounted 10-15 grand. Since when is "sticker" or near it a good deal?
Only American vehicles and maybe some low end imports an equal percentage of discount.

Go to Porsche, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes Benz, even Toyota, you will not see insane price dumping.

As soon as you dump prices on vehicles the resale is horrible.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:22 PM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

Originally Posted by drmustang
I had an M3 last year and watched that market intently for a long time. They held out for sticker and small discounts through its entire 5 year model run. I would love to have one but it would be cool if Chev could contain production and continue to give the dealers an opportunity to continue to sell at least one of their cars for a decent gross. Not gonna happen but you know, its the thought that counts.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6spdvert
I had an M3 last year and watched that market intently for a long time. They held out for sticker and small discounts through its entire 5 year model run. I would love to have one but it would be cool if Chev could contain production and continue to give the dealers an opportunity to continue to sell at least one of their cars for a decent gross. Not gonna happen but you know, its the thought that counts.
Yeah, you are absolutley right about those M3s. They really hold the value.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MyBeaches
Since most dealers are selling at MSRP across the country, its going to hurt your chances of getting $70k for your car. People would rather spend $75k for a brand new, still in wrapper new car than save $5k for a car that has been driven for a year, with less warranty, potential roof problems, etc.
I agree. That is my point. But at least when I first went in there it seemed like a deal when they wouldn't budge on a 86k price for a new one. Then looking at a 2006 Z06 with low miles for 70k didn't seem so bad. I am confident I probably could have sold to him at that moment. But later I learned that the dealership (stealership) had to lower their price to finally even sell the 2007.

So one week they won't budge on 86k and the next week 10k off their asking price. Market is softening.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Isn't this old news by now. The entire car market is a buyers market right now and we've had plenty of threads about MSRP and below sales already.
You know, I thought it was old news. Until I went to a dealership and they were still talking about giving me 68k or 70k just a few weeks ago. But now it is as if the storm clouds are overhead and the rain has begun to fall with the prices. No pun intended.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:07 PM
ROUTE 66
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by outnumbered
The car auto market is soft. This year the Z06 is included. Nothing different from the norm. I would suggest if anyone wants one now is the time to buy. Spring is around the corner and so is demand.
.....Spoken like a car salesman.....................
Old 12-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 05C6spdvert
Yes you are right, and GM is into the numbers game. They ultimately make more cars then people want to buy. And with a 70k+ corvette it won't take long until people stop buying it at those prices even if it is a sportscar deal bang for the buck wise. Truth is, it is still a chevy in many people's eyes. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen as did with the ZR-1. Weren't they MSRP 65k and ended up sitting on lots until people bought some up for just over 40k??

Old 12-10-2006, 08:16 PM
d campbell
Instructor

Default Soft Market?

Originally Posted by ROUTE 66
I guess none of you have been shopping for Z06's in SoCal. I've checked with 10 dealers. Not one of them were below 5000 over msrp. That price is for repeat customers only at most dealer. Their are very few Z06 available here> I even talked to a few that are still getting 25000 over sticker. I foung one 06 Z at a dealer in Costa Mesa Ca. with 9000 miles on it. The deal is 79999. I don't call that a soft market. at least here. Just my two cents worth.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Hartley
Instructor

I think a lot of "toys" where purchased using home equity. With the home price uncertainty and in many places prices dropping, there are fewer people willing to blow their equity. This will hurt all the recent hot toy markets, i.e. boat, motorhomes, sports cars, motorcycle and so on.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by d campbell
I guess none of you have been shopping for Z06's in SoCal. I've checked with 10 dealers. Not one of them were below 5000 over msrp. That price is for repeat customers only at most dealer. Their are very few Z06 available here> I even talked to a few that are still getting 25000 over sticker. I foung one 06 Z at a dealer in Costa Mesa Ca. with 9000 miles on it. The deal is 79999. I don't call that a soft market. at least here. Just my two cents worth.
Yes, dealers are still dreaming. But when it gets down to it, tell them that you will give them sticker. If you walk in and deal with them, get them drueling over a potential sale after they have found that you have the means to buy the car just tell them at the last minute I won't go a dollar over sticker and I bet you will get a bite.

I bought mine 16k under what they were asking, 90k, 7 months ago here in southern california. Secondly, if you go in towards the end of the month it is also a motivation for them to sell the car.

I still paid 4k over MSRP for a fully loaded car, but that was 7 months ago. Same situation now and I bet you can get one for MSRP or under.

They won't show you a hint that they are going to move until they know you have the serious cash to deal. When they know that and start adding up the numbers they often take what they can.

Thats my two cents...

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Market Softening

Old 12-10-2006, 08:48 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by d campbell
Isn't SoCal another country?
Old 12-10-2006, 08:49 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ROUTE 66
Old 12-10-2006, 10:24 PM
d campbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Isn't SoCal another country?
Yep the last of plastic and thongs. And over priced Z06's

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Market Softening