Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] "Flutter" sound from engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:01 PM
AlsZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Flutter" sound from engine?

I took my 06 Z06 to the dealership this morning to have the "flutter" sound checked out. They said the sound was normal in a high performance engine. Anyone have similar sound from their engine? It's prevalent in 2nd or 3rd gear when coasting. But I'm sure that sound is there at higher speeds. I just can't hear it with so much road noise at higher speed. Frequency of the "flutter" noise increase as the RPM increases. Sound disappear when clutch is depressed or gear in neutral. Is this normal?
Old 12-26-2006, 05:14 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't noticed it, but on the way home tonight I will listen for it.................normally my stereo is too loud to hear anything.................
Old 12-26-2006, 05:29 PM
MONTVALEGOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by AlsZ06
I took my 06 Z06 to the dealership this morning to have the "flutter" sound checked out. They said the sound was normal in a high performance engine. Anyone have similar sound from their engine? It's prevalent in 2nd or 3rd gear when coasting. But I'm sure that sound is there at higher speeds. I just can't hear it with so much road noise at higher speed. Frequency of the "flutter" noise increase as the RPM increases. Sound disappear when clutch is depressed or gear in neutral. Is this normal?
Mine sometimes does it also, no problems though. My mechanic checked the vehicle out thoroughly.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I don't know from your post what you're describing as a "flutter sound".........never heard that term applied to engine noises before.

However, if it's a "ticking" noise, you are driving a high performance engine with a relatively high-lift cam, making valve noises that sound like "ticking." That would be normal for this engine.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:44 PM
MONTVALEGOLF
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't know from your post what you're describing as a "flutter sound".........never heard that term applied to engine noises before.

However, if it's a "ticking" noise, you are driving a high performance engine with a relatively high-lift cam, making valve noises that sound like "ticking." That would be normal for this engine.
I liked your old Avatar better! No ticking, no flutter, just plain old Cobra!
Old 12-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Actually, the "ticking" from the solid, flat tappet cam and lifters, in that thing is deafening..........you wanna hear ticking.........I can show you ticking.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:12 PM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Maybe after b-ball is over we can see it again!
Old 12-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

ALsZ06, I raced cars for many years. I remember being given the award for having the loudest car at races. That was just before they made us put mufflers (really flow through devices that made the exhaust a little quiter- Below 108 db). The first time I took a race car on the track with the modified exhaust was at Roebling Road in Pooler, GA. After about three laps I came in and told the crew there were so many noises I felt sure the engine was coming apart and the suspention was all lose. They asked how the car felt and how the engine made power and I said fine! It took me a long time to get used to hearing so much. It the long run it actually helped us. You are probably having some similar experiences. I think the LS7 is very quite for being 428 ci and 500+ HP. I don't think you have any problems.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:36 PM
MONTVALEGOLF
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by AZ FASTEST

Maybe after b-ball is over we can see it again!
Foosh is a big Duke football fan...he rarely watches Duke BB! Too much physical activity in BB, that's why he likes Duke Football.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:04 PM
dofdear
Instructor

Could it be the tranny shifter issue folks have been discussing?

Last edited by dofdear; 12-26-2006 at 09:04 PM. Reason: mis-spelled word correction
Old 12-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Zred06
Burning Brakes

I am not sure if the flutter I have heard is what you are referring to. I have noticed that when I shift from 1st to 2nd just above 3500 rpm, there was a momentary flutter sound produced from the exhaust due to the flappers being opened at 3500 rpm and as the rpms came off while shifting they were in the process of closing. This sound may be there when compression braking from above 3500 rpm to below 3500 rpm but have not confirmed it yet. If this is what you are referring to, then it is entirely normal and rather cool I would add.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:46 PM
AlsZ06
Instructor

The sound is hard to describe. I don't notice it between shifts. It's there when it is in gear and coasting at slower speed. Sort of like a "winding, spinning, flutter" sound. If you guys can't hear it, your Z's must not produce it. I'll have to find another Z06 to test drive. It just doesn't sound normal. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:21 AM
mickvk
Racer

I think I know exactly what you're talking about and it's not a problem. When you lift of the gas while in gear, unburned fuel enters the exhaust and does a puff-puff-puff or pop-pop-pop sound. When you depress the clutch and the sound goes away - it's because you're no longer turning the motor with the drive train thereby pulling unburned fuel into the exhaust. I've noticed this more when the car is cold - the cats aren't doing their job by incinerating everything and you get more "action" in the tubes.

Get notified of new replies

To "Flutter" sound from engine?

Quick Reply: [Z06] "Flutter" sound from engine?