Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Forum Question: Accident

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 PM
ICU812
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vegas Streets

Originally Posted by Futfixr
Simply amazing how many people who don't even drive our streets know more about them than us who live here.
Yes, pretty amazing.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by ICU812
Yes, pretty amazing.
Yes, and I sincerely hope the rampant speculation here has nearly run it's course. I hope you figure out what might have happened and get some closure on this, and again, I'm very sorry it happened to you.

If you signaled you wanted an "investigation" and made lawsuit noises, then obviously GM "circled the wagons" as any major corporation would. We do live in a very litigious country. Certainly some of these claims are legitimate, but very many more are frivilous.

How did you say you wanted this "investigated"?

Last edited by Foosh; 02-27-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:51 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer will not download the program since there was an accident. Must go thru the 3 month process.
Surely they can hook up a Tech2 or let you hook up a code reader just to see what DTC's may have been set (I'm not talking about the black box, which will probably show nothing if the air bags did not deploy). How can they prepare an estimate to fix the car without doing that? The problem is - I'm not sure we've learned anything useful so far, except that something really strange and bad happened to you. Most of the other incidents (going back to C5's) similar to yours were preceded by a "service active handling" or similar message - from those we learned not to ignore those messages. No offense - this is just frustrating. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:04 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Most of the other incidents (going back to C5's) similar to yours were preceded by a "service active handling" or similar message
I only read about a couple of incidents, but I thought those articles indicated that the "service active handling" message came on after or during the incident. If this was the first occurrence of a failure, perhaps the owner never had a chance to see the message?

You are sure correct though - without any codes, it's pure guessing as to what happened.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Phi Sig
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is WOW -- Friend has an 06 Z, hopefully this is just a fluke and won't happen to any more Z drivers.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:36 PM
ICU812
Heel & Toe

Default Investigation

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, and I sincerely hope the rampant speculation here has nearly run it's course. I hope you figure out what might have happened and get some closure on this, and again, I'm very sorry it happened to you.

If you signaled you wanted an "investigation" and made lawsuit noises, then obviously GM "circled the wagons" as any major corporation would. We do live in a very litigious country. Certainly some of these claims are legitimate, but very many more are frivilous.

How did you say you wanted this "investigated"?
I never made "lawsuit" noises as I wasn't hurt and I'm not one of those who sue just for the sake of picking up a few quick bucks (not necessary). I just mentioned to the dealer about investigating what might have happened and was basically "cut off" at the pass and was told that since an "accident" happened as opposed to and "incident", they could not download, touch, or otherwise do anything that might inadvertantly erase or alter the computer memory. Then the three month investigation was proposed. I am more concerned about this possibly happening to me again or to others and asked the insurance company if they wanted to take the ball and run with it but for $23,000they weren't interested, against since no one was injured. Wish we could find out for safety sake.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:46 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

I never made "lawsuit" noises as I wasn't hurt and I'm not one of those who sue just for the sake of picking up a few quick bucks (not necessary). I just mentioned to the dealer about investigating what might have happened and was basically "cut off" at the pass and was told that since an "accident" happened as opposed to and "incident", they could not download, touch, or otherwise do anything that might inadvertantly erase or alter the computer memory. Then the three month investigation was proposed. I am more concerned about this possibly happening to me again or to others and asked the insurance company if they wanted to take the ball and run with it but for $23,000they weren't interested, against since no one was injured. Wish we could find out for safety sake.
Wish we could find out for safety sake too
Old 02-27-2007, 09:46 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had just left the light at Buffalo going East and was in the middle lane going about 35 mph behind slow traffic Yes, I might have been over the posted speed limit by 5 mph (shoot me) and was in third gear. When traffic cleared, I signaled, moved over into the left lane and proceeded to start to pass a few slower cars in the middle and right lanes. When I got to about 50 or so and was just about past the cars and was virtually not applying pressure to the throttle any longer as I had enough speed to clear and then would have signaled, moved over into the slow lane so I could turn south on Rainbow. It was right about this time I had let off the throttle or was just maintaining a constant speeded when this event happened. No powershifting, no yanking of wheel, no talking on cell, to eating or drinking while driving, no looking at girls in bikinis. There is obviously a reason, I have not had a ticket or an accident since moving to Nevada in 1974. Bet many can't say the same. Pissed my record is broken.

By the way, where is two lanes? The other side of Boulder Highway?
Actually the two lanes begin two red lights west of my home. Right past Hulapai, which is about 3/4 of a mile. Boulder Highway is hell and gone from my location................
Old 02-27-2007, 09:51 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

with the Las Vegas slippery road mumbo jumbo BS. There is a lot of street racing here with mega high hp cars including turbo busas' etc and, of course, certain areas in any city are worse than others but it's no where near as bad as you are making it out to be. When I come to a stop, I don't slide thru intersections, or off the road when going around a turn. I would gladly accept blame and maybe I fell asleep without knowing it or was abducted by aliens from Area 51 (close by you know), but until then it's an X-File to me.
And you also know there are a lot of deaths as well attributed to drag racing..........I know you weren't racing, but state the facts. I also owned a turbo busa and I learned to shift at 9 grand or end up going side ways...........course I am out near Shoshone or Area 51 doing this type of riding. In town racing any street bike will get you killed quick, which happens all the time here. I currently ride a ZX14 so I am pretty much up on these things................
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Quote:
Simply amazing how many people who don't even drive our streets know more about them than us who live here.

Yes, pretty amazing.

Actually Jeepo has driven his Z in Vegas, over a period of time and on two different occassions. In fact Jeepo followed me up D.I.in his Z and on to Red Rock. At that time Jeepo commented to me that our roads are pretty bad here. Having ridden in Utah, Arizona, California in my Z and on bikes...............I have to agree. Our roads are not that good................I don't want to get into a bashing thing here. I do feel your pain and I'm glad your ok............And I don't think you were acting a fool while driving either.

Last edited by vegasdude; 02-27-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:26 PM
GTC
Safety Car

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Originally Posted by kawal
I only read about a couple of incidents, but I thought those articles indicated that the "service active handling" message came on after or during the incident. If this was the first occurrence of a failure, perhaps the owner never had a chance to see the message?

You are sure correct though - without any codes, it's pure guessing as to what happened.
In my '05, AH/TCS misbehaved/miscorrected on me twice before it lit up the DIC and left behind a bunch of DTCs.

I'm not a Vegas native, but overall I'd have to rate the roads as slick. I've driven a couple of my vettes in Vegas: both in a stock '04 (A4, 2.73 diff) and my modded '03 (supercharged, 480+rwhp, A4, 3.73 diff, 3500 stall tq converter).
Old 02-27-2007, 11:47 PM
ICU812
Heel & Toe

Default Two Lanes

Originally Posted by vegasdude
Actually the two lanes begin two red lights west of my home. Right past Hulapai, which is about 3/4 of a mile. Boulder Highway is hell and gone from my location................
That's what I stated earlier. You are now about 3 miles West of where the accident happened. Going East you have to go another 10 miles or father before you see two lanes again. I live in the Willows so I know DI and Hualapai rather well.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:51 PM
ICU812
Heel & Toe

Default Roads

Quote:

Yes, pretty amazing.

Actually Jeepo has driven his Z in Vegas, over a period of time and on two different occassions. In fact Jeepo followed me up D.I.in his Z and on to Red Rock. At that time Jeepo commented to me that our roads are pretty bad here. Having ridden in Utah, Arizona, California in my Z and on bikes...............I have to agree. Our roads are not that good................I don't want to get into a bashing thing here. I do feel your pain and I'm glad your ok............And I don't think you were acting a fool while driving either.

Thanks, but most of the roads including 215 are pretty good now and most West of Rainbow are certainly better than most places. Just ask the guys on the "The Hill" every Sunday AM. Even spinning, cars don't "throw" themselves at 90 degree angles with zero control. Oh well, as stated before, I think we've beat this subject to death and discovered a few new things along the way. If I find out anything new I'll report it here including the new price of an '08 which I will get at Fairway from Don Kot Everyone enjoy their Z's, and stay safe.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Doctor Electron
Instructor

Default This is really important

All these facts need to be confirmed or disproved immediately. If all are true, GM knows about it and we should demand a recall now. If this causes a fatality before a big enough red flag goes up, we would all feel pretty horrible about our inactions. What if it was one of us and we know about the possibility. What of those that own Vettes that never enter forums? I too have read this on the other forums and realize it could be a handful of trolls creating a urban legend to discredit the Corvette brand. Please everyone, our collective forces should be able to bring change if change is indeed needed. It is no fun going into a twisty section of road with rails and curbs at 80 mph, pulling .80 or so G's, and over doing it just a touch. Rears drift or she pushes a tad and AH engages and you think just for a second about these events. With all the miles they put on at Spring Mountain, they should have had this happen to one of their cars wouldn't you think?
All the Best,
Doc E.

Last edited by Dr. Electron; 02-28-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:18 AM
vegasdude
Safety Car

I wonder if Spring Mountain turn off all these so called safety devices...............
Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Doctor Electron
Instructor

I wonder if Spring Mountain turn off all these so called safety devices...............
Seems like I read on here or Z06vettecom that they do not allow students to lap with the system turned totally off. Who here has gone to SM and knows?
Doc
Old 02-28-2007, 02:35 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Electron
With all the miles they put on at Spring Mountain, they should have had this happen to one of their cars wouldn't you think?
All the Best,
Doc E.
I agree this is very important, but if the incident in this thread is related to the one at the corvettemechanic.com site, I don't think it is surprising that Spring Mountain hasn't had a problem. For the case at corvettemechanic.com, it was "simply" found that the connector to the electronic brake control module (EBCM) was not latched properly. It was not a failure of any of the system logic (fortunately), so unless a car had a similar connector problem, there is no evidence to think it is unsafe or would exhibit similar control issues.

It was certainly reassuring to hear about the interest and effort the Corvette engineers (and Bowling Green) spent on a solution to that problem, and I'm sure we would like some similar attention paid to this incident. But unless some codes are retrieved and the problem elevated to that level, we'll never know. I must say I am very impressed with what I read on the corvettemechanic.com site. (I noticed they mentioned a fix to the shifter rattle issue that has been talked about in this forum as well.)

If more than one incident of a similar nature were verified, perhaps that would prompt a recall to at least check the EBCM connector. Otherwise, no one at GM will even be aware of the potential hazard and the case may be considered closed.

I would encourage ICU812 to post his incident on the corvettemechanic.com forum as well. Their technicians are very impressive.

Get notified of new replies

To Forum Question: Accident

Old 02-28-2007, 03:11 AM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kawal
.....For the case at corvettemechanic.com, it was "simply" found that the connector to the electronic brake control module (EBCM) was not latched properly. It was not a failure of any of the system logic (fortunately), so unless a car had a similar connector problem, there is no evidence to think it is unsafe or would exhibit similar control issues......
I didn't read the information at corvettemechanic.com. Did that failure cause a major handling problem? My concern is that if an electrical connection came loose, the the results should be benign by design. But if that loss of connection creates a major handling issue, then it needs to be reengineered regardless of the remote possibility of failure.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:36 AM
hapnermw
Racer

Sorry to hear about your accident.

If you haven't already done so, I would contact both GM and the NTSA and report the details of your accident. This sounds like some form of software/sensor malfunction that caused your active handling system to wreck your car.

These are complex analog/digital systems that have the ability to brake individual wheels which gives them powerful control over the car. They have been known to fail and your experience sounds a lot like what would happen if they did.

If there was some form of faulty active handling component that caused your accident, the sooner the NTSA knows about it the better.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Electron
Seems like I read on here or Z06vettecom that they do not allow students to lap with the system turned totally off. Who here has gone to SM and knows?
Doc
That is correct. Spring Mountain policy is for students to run with all systems ON. They don't even want you in Comp Mode.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Forum Question: Accident