Anyone install an oil heater on the dry sump tank? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C6 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS7 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install an oil heater on the dry sump tank?

Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Zed_six
CF Senior Member

Default Anyone install an oil heater on the dry sump tank?

I daily drive my C6 Z06 and I'm interested in having my oil pre-heated so I can "get on the gas" sooner during cold mornings or cold evenings. On cold mornings (I'm about 1 to 2 miles from the freeway) when I enter the freeway my typical oil temperatures are around 90 degrees F although my water temps are at 198 deg F.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket oil heater on their dry sump tank? I was thinking about picking one up and wrapping my tank with this... Moroso/Jegs PN 710-23996

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_745633_-1

If memory serves, if there's a oil heating option for the C6 Z06, can it be purchased from GM and retrofitted (to a Z06 that originally didn't have one)?
Zed_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
rubberman
CF Member

Can't say I've tried one on my Z because it has not come in yet, but I have used them on my race car motors. It is basically the same set up as the Z as they are dry sump systems. The heaters seem to hold up pretty well considering I am talking about a dirt late model that is pressure washed after every weekend it is run and the heater is not removed.
rubberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
cbgpe
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default coolant temperature is my guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed_six View Post
I daily drive my C6 Z06 and I'm interested in having my oil pre-heated so I can "get on the gas" sooner during cold mornings or cold evenings. On cold mornings (I'm about 1 to 2 miles from the freeway) when I enter the freeway my typical oil temperatures are around 90 degrees F although my water temps are at 198 deg F.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket oil heater on their dry sump tank? I was thinking about picking one up and wrapping my tank with this... Moroso/Jegs PN 710-23996

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_745633_-1

If memory serves, if there's a oil heating option for the C6 Z06, can it be purchased from GM and retrofitted (to a Z06 that originally didn't have one)?
There is no restriction on gasing the car in the owners manual in regard to oil temperature but there is on coolant temperature. Once the coolant is up to temp don't worry about the "cold" oil. The "cold" oil will be up to block temperature once it runs thru the pressure pump and the oil galleries in the block before it hits the bearings .... where oil temperature matters. The alluminum block transfers heat very well to the oil. The real issue with alloy blocks is the main bearing clearance on a cold engine. The main bearings have to be fitted tight to allow the proper running clearance when the engine is hot so they are very "tight" on a cold engine. Spun main bearings on a dead cold engine run very hard right out of the garage are a real possibility. IMHO
cbgpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
zaccotner
CF Senior Member

Put some headers on.
zaccotner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Zed_six
CF Senior Member

2X. I have a heater element on my race motor in my drysump tank, just thought it would be a great idea to start up a cold motor with warm oil rather than cold. I would never "race" my twin turbo drag motor if there weren't some heat in the oil already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberman View Post
Can't say I've tried one on my Z because it has not come in yet, but I have used them on my race car motors. It is basically the same set up as the Z as they are dry sump systems. The heaters seem to hold up pretty well considering I am talking about a dirt late model that is pressure washed after every weekend it is run and the heater is not removed.
Zed_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Anyone install an oil heater on the dry sump tank?
  •