Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Window Scratch Repair

Old 03-10-2007, 02:03 AM
Rifeman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Scratch Repair

I have two, nearly identical, scratches on my driver's and passenger side windows. The scratches run vertically and they extend nearly for the entire height of the windows. I thought that I might have some pebbles trapped indside the bottom liner, but my roommate told me that the pads that guide the windows when they are moved up and down sometimes wear out and cause metal to come in direct contact with the windows. The scratches aren't that deep, so I was wondering if there was any repair kit/compound that can remove scrathes from glass and also if there is any way to prevent future scrathing from happening.
Thanks,
Chad
Old 03-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Chad, my 06 C6Z had a slight scratch in the windshield. The local GM dealer hired a guy to just polish it out. It took him about 30 minutes and he told me to wash the residue off well when I got home. He came to my work. He did a great job.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:57 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's the pads or other mechanical problem, it sounds like something that should be covered under warrant, and it may happen again unless corrected.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Rifeman
Advanced

I took off the door trim panel on my passenger side door so I could get a better look into the area where the window sits. I looked along the area where scratches are on the window, and it is obvious that the only area the window touches when it is rolled up and down is the outer and inner weather strips. I think the scratches began to form right at the time I was moving to Texas. I drove in stormy weather for a couple of days. Is it possible that bits of sand and pebble lodged into these weather strips and scratched the glass? There are no scratches on the inside of the windows, and the felt on the inner weather strip still feels good. The outer strip, however, has begun to harden quite a bit. Do I need to replace these, or just make sure they remain clean?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Bumpstick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rifeman
I took off the door trim panel on my passenger side door so I could get a better look into the area where the window sits. I looked along the area where scratches are on the window, and it is obvious that the only area the window touches when it is rolled up and down is the outer and inner weather strips. I think the scratches began to form right at the time I was moving to Texas. I drove in stormy weather for a couple of days. Is it possible that bits of sand and pebble lodged into these weather strips and scratched the glass? There are no scratches on the inside of the windows, and the felt on the inner weather strip still feels good. The outer strip, however, has begun to harden quite a bit. Do I need to replace these, or just make sure they remain clean?
Use a hard cloth buffing wheel on a dremel tool, and some jewlers rouge.
Polished a scratch out of my windshield from my wiper blade that way.

Glass Polishing Kit Pro
... test: Run your fingernail over the damaged area on your windshield. If nail doesn't catch this kit will work. If your nail does catch try the Deep Scratch Kit (40030) . Mark the damaged area mix the special Glass Polishing Compound with water, attach polishing buff to your drill or low speed polisher ... $36.99
Item No. 40011
The eastwood company
Old 05-25-2007, 01:53 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Chad, I hope you don't mind me also asking a question, concerning a similiar problem.

I just unbelievably discovered a verticle scratch on the windshield of my new '07 vette. It appears to be on the passengers inside at first inspection, about 3" long, and about 1 1/2" - 2" away from the corner post.

I just saw it yesterday for the first time, since owning my vette (about 3 mos. now). Guess the light finally hit it at an angle that made me notice.

I can't believe it! I'll check to see if my fingernail catches but what in the world would have caused this? I haven't even wiped the inside glass yet. Could the dealers prep guy have done it and if so, how? Can a razor knife do something like this or just a windshield that had it already before it was installed at the plant?

I've read a couple of threads about the polish, etc. but may not do anything just yet. However, when I now look over that way, my eyes go right to it. The lousy dealer I bought from is 4 hours away and I wouldn't care to go back to them anyway.

Sorry about all of the questions/rants but man I'm mad. I have been so careful with it only to discover something like this. Anyone having any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Window Scratch Repair

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Window Scratch Repair