Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] I Smell Gas in my 07 Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
dwilcox
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Smell Gas in my 07 Z

I intend to get to the dealer as soon as possible, but in the interim I decided to see if anyone else has experianced this. About a week ago a van turned in front of me and I immediately smelled the strong odor of gas. I dismissed it and concluded he may have just filled up and possible left his cap off and may have spilled gas on the turn... yesterday I filled up and about 10 minutes later I started smelling a slight gas odor and it lasted for the rest of the trip. When I got home I lifted the hood and removed the red panels that cover the engine - with the engine running - no leaks and no odor. The next trip was about 3 hours later and I did not smell anything. I would think it is doubtful that a fuel leak would be intermittent - I would think it is either leaking or not. Any connections I could check instead of going to the dealer? I read in another post of someone finding a welded stud wearing through their gas line. Not that it matters but I have about 4400 miles on her.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:45 AM
dwilcox
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry - I did some different and better searches and I think the dealer is the answer. Too many possibilities.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Good luck hope its an easy fix! Keep us informed!
Old 05-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 AM
philgrocks
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dwilcox
I intend to get to the dealer as soon as possible, but in the interim I decided to see if anyone else has experianced this. About a week ago a van turned in front of me and I immediately smelled the strong odor of gas. I dismissed it and concluded he may have just filled up and possible left his cap off and may have spilled gas on the turn... yesterday I filled up and about 10 minutes later I started smelling a slight gas odor and it lasted for the rest of the trip. When I got home I lifted the hood and removed the red panels that cover the engine - with the engine running - no leaks and no odor. The next trip was about 3 hours later and I did not smell anything. I would think it is doubtful that a fuel leak would be intermittent - I would think it is either leaking or not. Any connections I could check instead of going to the dealer? I read in another post of someone finding a welded stud wearing through their gas line. Not that it matters but I have about 4400 miles on her.
I had this problem on my Z06 and I called my dealer. What I found out is that this will diminish in the first 2000 miles. I was skeptical, but sure enough at 2000 miles the odor was gone.

Call your dealer to be sure, but as reported by others this seems to be common.

Phil

Get notified of new replies

To I Smell Gas in my 07 Z

Quick Reply: [Z06] I Smell Gas in my 07 Z