Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] "Mild to Wild" and Battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Bristol
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Mild to Wild" and Battery drain

I had a dead battery today after my C6 Z06 sat for less than two weeks. I had installed the Exhaust Mild to Wild switch a few weeks ago. I was wondering if the Mild to Wild if left in the "open "position can cause an electric drain?

I made sure that the exhaust Mild to Wild was in the closed positon before I put it away tonight. I hope this works.

Has anybody with a dead battery experience the same thing?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 PM
ZO6guy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you knew this but the dealership told me to park the car in Reverse to prevent a draw on the battery. I looked at the salesman a little funny as I was in disbelief. However he assured me, that this was true and he had been instructed through the service center to communicate this to his vette buyers to do so to prevent battery draw.

Has anyone else heard of this and does it hold any validity?

Old 05-03-2007, 09:12 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6guy
Not sure if you knew this but the dealership told me to park the car in Reverse to prevent a draw on the battery. I looked at the salesman a little funny as I was in disbelief. However he assured me, that this was true and he had been instructed through the service center to communicate this to his vette buyers to do so to prevent battery draw.

Has anyone else heard of this and does it hold any validity?

Only with the '05s.

NOT, the '06s and there are no '05 Zs
Old 05-03-2007, 09:17 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

My car sits in the garage till the weekend(Sat-Sun) I leave it in the open position and I never had a problem.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 PM
kimvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 06 Z06 and had the battery drain as a result of not putting the car in reverse. No issue with the Mild to Wild I have on the car. Car also sits in the garage until the weekend and no issues. Last winter when I had the car towed, the tow company mentioned they had towed a number of Corvettes (4 in a week) in the area due to the same issue. The service tech told me the fix was not until 2007 and the salesperson was not aware of the issue.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Bristol
Racer

I picked my Z06 at Bowling Green factory and was told that the 06 did not need to be in reverse.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:37 PM
dean23
Advanced

HEres a bulletin from gm service info that I found......It calls for a reprogram of the rcdlr!!!!

Dead Battery, No Crank/No Start (Reprogram Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) #07-06-03-001B - (03/21/2007)

Models: 2005-2007 Cadillac XLR (Including XLV-V)

2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette (Including Z06)

Built Prior to the Following VIN Breakpoints:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-03-001A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model
VIN Breakpoint

XLR

Corvette

Condition
Some customers may comment on a dead battery after the vehicle has been parked for a extended period of time. Typically, the battery will last approximately two weeks, depending on the initial state of battery charge.

Cause
A software anomaly within the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) causes an additional 30 mA draw on the battery when passive locking is enabled and the vehicle is parked.

Correction
Do This
Don't Do This

Reprogram the RCDLR.
DO NOT replace the RCDLR.

Important: Use the Pass-Thru method when programming and select "Replace and Reprogram ECU."

A new calibration has been released to correct this condition. Reprogram the RCDLR using SPS. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB.

Important: On Corvette models, prior to reprogramming, remove the Radio/S-Band/VICS 15-amp fuse and the HVAC/PWR SND 10-amp fuse from the I/P electrical center (passenger floor). Also, the ignition must be in the "Key On Engine Off" mode.

If the programming does not finish successfully and the RCDLR appears to be in a "locked-up" state, DO NOT turn off the ignition, it can be reset by removing the RCDLR fuse (#11 in the UBEC) for at least 30 seconds and reinstalling it. If the ignition was turned to OFF after the "locked up" condition occurred, its possible to continue programming by adding the VIN manually in TIS.

Tip
Transmitter programming and tire pressure learn procedures are NOT necessary after this reprogram.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:38 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

I have a 2006 Z06 and have never left it in reverse....never a problem....Only in 2005 this applies.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:42 PM
ZO6guy
Racer

Originally Posted by BlaznZ06
Only with the '05s.

NOT, the '06s and there are no '05 Zs
Well I had a '03 Z and had battery drain with it but never heard of anythiong that might have caused it other than tall the computers onboard.

Now that i have an "07 Z this was the first I had heard of this, hense the reason for my puzzled face with the salesman. I am trying to figure out how putting it in reverse that would prevent battery draw. I typically leave her in neutral and with the emergency bake pulled. I practiced this with my last Z and if I didn;t drive it for a two week period the battery would definitley be drained.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 PM
ZO6guy
Racer

Originally Posted by kimvette
I have a 06 Z06 and had the battery drain as a result of not putting the car in reverse. No issue with the Mild to Wild I have on the car. Car also sits in the garage until the weekend and no issues. Last winter when I had the car towed, the tow company mentioned they had towed a number of Corvettes (4 in a week) in the area due to the same issue. The service tech told me the fix was not until 2007 and the salesperson was not aware of the issue.
Ok so, this issue should be corrected in my '07?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6guy
Well I had a '03 Z and had battery drain with it but never heard of anythiong that might have caused it other than tall the computers onboard.

Now that i have an "07 Z this was the first I had heard of this, hense the reason for my puzzled face with the salesman. I am trying to figure out how putting it in reverse that would prevent battery draw. I typically leave her in neutral and with the emergency bake pulled. I practiced this with my last Z and if I didn;t drive it for a two week period the battery would definitley be drained.

This was a required factory feature in the 05s that got eliminated in 06.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
ZO6guy
Racer

Originally Posted by dean23
HEres a bulletin from gm service info that I found......It calls for a reprogram of the rcdlr!!!!

Dead Battery, No Crank/No Start (Reprogram Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) #07-06-03-001B - (03/21/2007)

Models: 2005-2007 Cadillac XLR (Including XLV-V)

2005-2007 Chevrolet Corvette (Including Z06)

Built Prior to the Following VIN Breakpoints:

This bulletin is being revised to update the correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-03-001A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Model
VIN Breakpoint

XLR

Corvette

Condition
Some customers may comment on a dead battery after the vehicle has been parked for a extended period of time. Typically, the battery will last approximately two weeks, depending on the initial state of battery charge.

Cause
A software anomaly within the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) causes an additional 30 mA draw on the battery when passive locking is enabled and the vehicle is parked.

Correction
Do This
Don't Do This

Reprogram the RCDLR.
DO NOT replace the RCDLR.

Important: Use the Pass-Thru method when programming and select "Replace and Reprogram ECU."

A new calibration has been released to correct this condition. Reprogram the RCDLR using SPS. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB.

Important: On Corvette models, prior to reprogramming, remove the Radio/S-Band/VICS 15-amp fuse and the HVAC/PWR SND 10-amp fuse from the I/P electrical center (passenger floor). Also, the ignition must be in the "Key On Engine Off" mode.

If the programming does not finish successfully and the RCDLR appears to be in a "locked-up" state, DO NOT turn off the ignition, it can be reset by removing the RCDLR fuse (#11 in the UBEC) for at least 30 seconds and reinstalling it. If the ignition was turned to OFF after the "locked up" condition occurred, its possible to continue programming by adding the VIN manually in TIS.

Tip
Transmitter programming and tire pressure learn procedures are NOT necessary after this reprogram.
I believe this also applies to the '03s cause mine did exactly this!

no
Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 PM
C6Zed06
Intermediate

The switch doesn't cause any battery drain. Think of the switch as just a substitute fuse. A blown or missing fuse is just like a switch in the open or "off" position - the circuit is broken, the current flow is interrupted and the load device (in this case the butterfly valves) is inoperable. An intact fuse is like a switch in the closed or "on" position - the circuit is complete, the current flows and the load device operates. That is all these wild to mild and "Man" switches do - they electronically open and close the circuit in lieu of pulling the fuse and putting it back in - that's why they fit into the fuse holder in the place where the 10 amp fuse goes.

Now the fuse is in the car all the time until you remove it - and it doesn't cause any battery drain. Neither does the switch. The default position for the valves is open, and they only close when (a) the engine is running, (b) there is current present (a fuse is in or the switch is in the closed position) and (c) the engine is at less than 3500 rpm.

Even with the fuse in, when you shut down the engine the valves move to their default position - open. Then when you start the engine with the fuse in (and as long as you are under 3500 rpm), the valves close. But in between, nothing is happening - the only time there is any actual current flow is when the valves are in the process of opening or closing. When the valves are at rest, there is no current flow (even with the mild/wild switch in the closed position - because there is a second "switch" in the circuit, which is open except when the rpm pass a set (3500) point, at which point it closes, completes the circuit and moves the valves one way or the other.

When you substitute the mild/wild switch for the fuse, nothing really changes - except that now it is as if you can electronically reach down and pull the fuse or put it back in by opening or closing the switch. And just like with the fuse, when the engine is off, it doesn't matter whether you have the switch in the open or closed position - there will not be any current flow (because of that second "switch") and therefore no battery drain.

Last edited by C6Zed06; 05-03-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Many dealers are misinformed about battery drain because "park in reverse" requirement was a feature of 05 C6s only. Even the '05 DIC flashed a message at you if you didn't put it in reverse. It said, "park in reverse." If you didn't see that, the horn honked three times if you didn't put it in reverse...........duh........it was obvious. But it was 05 only. However, some sales and service people just don't remember and it's now become another Chevy dealer urban myth with mostly salespeople, and unfortunately, a few service writers who aren't mechanics!

It has never been an issue with any C6 Z06, whether 06 or 07, because it was eliminated after the 05 model year.......so many people complained. Yes, they do listen and correct obvious easily correctable issues.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-03-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Bristol
Racer

Originally Posted by C6Zed06
The switch doesn't cause any battery drain. Think of the switch as just a substitute fuse. A blown or missing fuse is just like a switch in the open or "off" position - the circuit is broken, the current flow is interrupted and the load device (in this case the butterfly valves) is inoperable. An intact fuse is like a switch in the closed or "on" position - the circuit is complete, the current flows and the load device operates. That is all these wild to mild and "Man" switches do - they electronically open and close the circuit in lieu of pulling the fuse and putting it back in - that's why they fit into the fuse holder in the place where the 10 amp fuse goes.

Now the fuse is in the car all the time until you remove it - and it doesn't cause any battery drain. Neither does the switch. The default position for the valves is open, and they only close when (a) the engine is running, (b) there is current present (a fuse is in or the switch is in the closed position) and (c) the engine is at less than 3500 rpm.

Even with the fuse in, when you shut down the engine the valves move to their default position - open. Then when you start the engine with the fuse in (and as long as you are under 3500 rpm), the valves close. But in between, nothing is happening - the only time there is any actual current flow is when the valves are in the process of opening or closing. When the valves are at rest, there is no current flow (even with the mild/wild switch in the closed position - because there is a second "switch" in the circuit, which is open except when the rpm pass a set (3500) point, at which point it closes, completes the circuit and moves the valves one way or the other.

When you substitute the mild/wild switch for the fuse, nothing really changes - except that now it is as if you can electronically reach down and pull the fuse or put it back in by opening or closing the switch. And just like with the fuse, when the engine is off, it doesn't matter whether you have the switch in the open or closed position - there will not be any current flow (because of that second "switch") and therefore no battery drain.
Great explaination. Thanks, you put my mind to rest. I think it must have been the lack of use. I was traveling and did not driver it for two weeks. I will put a monitor charger on it next time.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:43 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Questioned asked and answered.

Get notified of new replies

To "Mild to Wild" and Battery drain

Quick Reply: [Z06] "Mild to Wild" and Battery drain